2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy the Cat
  • 1 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Replace TH400 output bushing

Have too much play in my front yoke. Want to replace by removing tail housing. Question do I have to drain tranny. Anyone did this before ? i know its going to be a fight to remove bushing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Replace TH400 output bushing

You'll get a little spilled out but if you jack the rear of the car up and leave the front on the ground it will be minimal. No need to drain.
Hotwire likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
Old Nov 18th, 19, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

invest in a bushing driver set. Install is a lot harder than the removal.Without the tool ,and sometimes with, the edges deform , if its really tight fit.
use a file in worst case but usually a yoke installed in the new bushing and tapped on all sides will "resize" the bushing to a slip fit.
FYI -a worn bushing usually means a worn slip yoke too

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.

Old Nov 18th, 19, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Nov 18th, 19, 5:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Did a little searching and found that Summit and Jegs carry rbuilt housing which helps in the need not to purchase a bushing driver kit. Even found one on E bay.

Old Nov 18th, 19, 6:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I bought a tool from Texas, $35.00. It removes the bushing and installs the new one. After the shaft is dropped and the seal is out...... I never used this tool.................. I took me almost " FIVE " min. to Remove the old bushing and install the new bushing.
This tool works on any spline like the M-22 and T-400 or any spline like this. 27 Spline?
This tool is a REAL time saver. I was going to borrow this tool from Hoss Gear Shop, Dave Hoak, ( hoss said) He let a customer borrow his " Install part of the tool and NEVER brought it back.
So I bought one. I you are closs buy , Come and get it. N/C.
I am trying to find the address or P. number. of the tool seller. I do know its in Texas.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Old Nov 18th, 19, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I will start all over. The tool is for a " 32 " spline and not a 27=( my mouth was turning over but my brain was not in gear) The 32 spline is the M-22 & T-400 and any other 32 spline. Here is some info from the box the tool came in.
The Co. is called.......... Streetside Tools
10740 Hillpoint
Suite 3
San Antonio, TX. 78217
Phone # 210-816-4458
Tool Number......SST-0161.. It was around $35.00

32 spline
Bob
LeoP likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Old Nov 19th, 19, 9:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I know it may be a sore point but I bought a bushing driver set from Harbor freight, used it to build a couple 4L60Es now. Might have the size you need.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-pie...kit-35555.html

If you want to do it yourself, it really isn't hard to do. Google th400 rear bushing replacement, there's plenty of videos to give you a good sense of how to do it.

Pay attention to the orientation of the stock bushing, if there's a kerf in it, what direction it's going, how deep it's installed in the tailshaft, etc. Measure, take pics, this will help you locate the new bushing. The bushing is soft, doesn't take much to knock them out/install them.

Good luck!

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

Old Nov 19th, 19, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks guys. Just purchased a unit from Summit. Got the old one off after removing cross mount. Took 2 hours. Laying on my back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in