Team Chevelle banner

Transmission on the way out?

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  1971-Chevelle 
#1 ·
I have developed a whining noise from my Turbo 400 in my Chevelle. Sometimes its loud other times its gone. Tranny shop who listened to it said its the pump and that as long as the tranny shifts fine which it does there is no real issue except the occasional noise. What do you guys think? My first thought was I should get the unit rebuilt and not wait for the pump to crap out. I did not ask for a price and not sure if I would go to the shop who just told me not to worry.

#2 ·
Yes, sooner rather than later. As the pump fails your line pressure drops which will burn up clutches. Add to that a failing pump dumps its shavings into the converter and throughout the fluid passages.
Its likely already started the later if its making noise.

#3 ·
It's strange that it comes and goes. I'd pull the pan and filter and check for metal. If it looks ok I'd put it back together with 2 new o-rings on the filter extension. It may be pulling air past the filter extension o-ring or the seal on the filter.

When does it make noise? In a particular gear? Park and neutral only? Reverse? When does the noise go away?

#4 ·
Most of the time the noise is most noticeable when I start the car up in park. However, there are times when I am moving slow in drive or reverse that the noise happens as well. It also increases with engine RPM. Sounds like I have a blower when its real bad, then sometimes not a peep regardless of park or gear. Fluid level is fine, no burnt smell.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Had this a year or so ago

And as others above have voiced ( see my Likes )
it was because of a loose Filter PickUp/Extension as I have a Deeper Trans Pan than Stock

#11 ·
If it's the pump it's after the filter. Don't mean to worry you but if the pump is going out it's shedding metal into every part of the internals. As said above, when you have time drop the pan and make sure there's no metal. If there's metal stop driving it.

#12 ·
later 400s used a plastic pipe from filter to case , make sure its not cracked . If the pan is clean , put 2 o rings on the pipe top and a new filter and see if noise is gone

#13 ·
The trans noise is still intermittent. Could the filter that was put in last year all of a sudden leak past the O-rings, move or drop. Like I stated prior it is a deep pan but it was installed with a longer neck filter from NAPA. Pulled my back so a trip to the tranny shop is on my list.

#14 ·
longer filter pipe needs a longer bolt and spacer under the bolt to let the filter lay on bottom of pan.Without spacer , filter bind may have cracked pipe ...????

#15 ·
I did not install the new deep pan, change the filter or add the fluid. It was all done while the car was in the shop last year for other things and I was told the OEM pan was bent and leaking. Hence the replacement. Knowing the shop I would hope they used the correct filter. I will be dropping the pan and see if there are any issues before going the rebuild route. Pulled my back and for the last few weeks I have been unable to lay flat under the car! Thanks for all the insight!

#16 ·
Mechanic who changed the pan, fluid and filter last year gave me an offer. If I supply the new filter and fluid he will drop the pan with me check for metal shavings and if it looks ok we will install a new filter and fluid BEFORE I rebuild the tranny if necessary. Sounds like a plan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.