Team Chevelle banner

Control arms and pinion angle

811 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bracketchev1221 
#1 ·
I was hoping somebody could ease my mind on this. I have a 69 chevelle that I put new bushings in the upper and lower rear control arms. The control arms are off a 10 bolt rear and I put them on my 12 bolt. They looked identical to my 12 bolt ones so I used them instead because they were alot cleaner. I looked at a post from a couple years ago stating that you need to notch the 10 bolt arms to fit the 12 bolt. Is this true? Anyone know? My body is off the frame currently and the pinion is angled down pretty bad. Is this because I don't have the weight of the car on the frame? Or because of the control arms. All the bolts are still loose. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Reactions: Hotwire
#5 ·
The angle will change once the weight is back on it..

I would grind them down a little, if they are even touching in the first place.. The person welding the ears on the rear end the day it was made might of moved them up so the arms don't touch to begin with..

Frankly, I'd put a set of Spohn adjustable arms in there so you can adjust the pinion angle. Nobody can see them, there tucked all the way up inside there...

#7 ·
Scott, doing a four wheel alignment makes a world of difference on these old cars, you need adjustable rear control arms though. I would put the money into those. Todays fast paced traffic demands a lot more out of our cars then it did in the sixtys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.