Team Chevelle banner

3 on the tree to 700r4

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Drewsbadnews 
#1 ·
Im wondering if amyone has any suggestions about a sterring column swap.
Im going from a three on the tree to 700r4.
I want a column shift thats i can use my stock wheel on.for some reason 66 columns are different than 65 an 67s.
Dont know what the difference is but 66 seem to be difficult to find.
Any suggestions?
Thanx

#2 ·
Back in the late 1990s we put a 1970s (Buick or Pontiac, not sure) tilt auto column in our 1967 El Camino that was a 3sp manual column shift.
It was not plug and play, but it was less work than swapping the transmission itself. We had to make a support bracket from the donor column, and the 1967 column, and made recessed T-Nuts so they could reach the threads. Then my dad and I removed all the lock parts and ignition switch parts, ground it off and filled it back in, painted it to match. I have the 1967 wheel on it now. It has a mix-match of parts for turnsignal/horn/cam, but it all works, even the neutral/park switch. We used a simple wiring adapter from a truck parts place.
The reason for this madness was, we figured an actual GM column was better than a generic, and it was $25. Also FWIW, the shifter does work all 7 positions of the 700R4 PRN4321 with 1 being laying on my thigh.

#4 ·
they make a swap kit where you hook your 3 on the tree lever to a rod that goes down to the trans. so you keep your column, wheel etc. jim

#6 ·
Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate to see this happen to a FACTORY manual tranny car!
Are you sure you would not want to go with a 4-5-6sp change over?

Our 70 conv was a factory 307/3sp column and it now has an M22W. We just love it!

Attachments

Reactions: dozerhand
#7 ·
The three speed isnt very nice to drive.the linkage is worn in the column so you have to make sure you are back in first gear before you stop or it will stick in 3rd gear.if this happens i have to shut off car jump out pop hood and wiggle the linkage up and down off the column.
Then it frees up again.
I dont want to cut any holes for floor shifter on my pristine floor.
Three speed was fine when speed limit was 55 but nowdays if you are doing 70 you are getting run over.
Motor is working way to hard for my taste at that speed and a little gas mileage would be good.i will check out your suggestions thanks for the information.

#8 ·
The 3sp has nothing to do with higher rpm at hiway speeds. That is determined the rearend gear ratio--------------OR, a transmission with an overdrive.
And I am the very first person to understand the desire to have better hiway fuel economy. Last year I replaced the M20 in the 70 with an M22W (which has a slightly lower 1st gear than an M20). And I replaced the rearend with a 2.73 12bolt posi. The end result on the Interstate is about equal to having a 5sp with 5th as an OD.
As s result now, the 70 is not a rocket from a dead stop (but the engine has the power to get it rolling very well), but the tradeoff in lower hiway rpm and improved fuel economy is more than worth it.

And I completely understand the reluctance to cut a hole in the floor for a 4-5-6sp transmission. BUUUUUUUUUUUUT, driving a more or less performance type car with a stick shift is very pleasing.

Reactions: 123pugsy
#9 ·
The under $300 Summit chrome or paint grade automatic column shift column works fine. Others sell the same column for the same price. It is not made in the USA. I'm not sure about adapting the stock steering wheel, but I'm sure somebody makes kits for it.

Get your 700R4 built for 600HP and put a TCI constant pressure valve body in it. Lighten up the weights in the governor to spread out the high RPM shift points. You can launch a car frying the tires with a 700R4 in it given how low first gear is. You can also cruise the Hwy at 70MPH at 2000 RPM in OD with a lockup torque converter. No guarantees on fuel mileage. Too many variables.

#11 ·
The car is more or less a pro touring build.
18 in ch wheels 4 wheel disc brakes just added power steering hotchkis suspension. I Have a 56 bel air gasser 4 spd 4.56 gears hi winding 327 for banging gears also.The el camino is more of a cruiser for me.The three spped isnt much fun to drive while holding a drink along the worn linkage prob.would be nice to have a direct fit plug and play column.I have a Freind that builds transmissions on the side for a transmission shop.He want to show me how to build my own 700r4 whit his guidance.
I want to learn to build my own i think it will be fun and well worth it.

Attachments

#14 ·
A nice thing about a 3 on the tree, you can shift with your left hand after a bit of practice. My dad taught me that, he said his right arm would be around my mom sitting on the bench next to him.
I still dream of putting a 4 or 5 speed in and using a column shift for 1-4, and maybe a solenoid or something like a choke cable for R (and/or 5)

#15 ·
I wish my 69 was a three on the tree...

I would remove all the linkage, clean it up and put new bushings in it. There was a way of changing the shift levers on the transmission to make the three speed shift faster with less movement. I once drove a 62 Bel Air Bubble top that had the short shift levers, it was one of the nicest cars I ever drove.. It had a 396 with a cam that had brutal torque, mixed with that three speed on the column, it was a dream to drive.. Frankly I think you are making a mistake.
If I was to do an automatic, I would do the th400 or th350 with a Hurst Autostick I shifter.. These transmissions work great with a 2 series rear end ratio, especially with a 454 cammed for torque..

#16 ·
What get me irked about my El Camino is that the pedal is still there. Every time I drive it, hmm, should I switch back.

#18 ·
with one of those M-23-W gearsets from Jody you can run a 2.73 or even a 2.56 rear. kinda like OD, but less hassle. All stock stuff will work.

Reactions: temp2c
#19 ·
And that is quite true.
BUT, I rolled the dice and bought an M22W gear set (2.56 1st gear) for the Muncie in the 70, and I built a 2.73 12bolt posi to replace the 3.07 12bolt posi (which is like new). It cruises down the Interstate so nice now!
Plus, when merging into heavy traffic on the interstate, I'm up to speed before I need to shift out of 1st gear.

With a very healthy SB400 in the 70, it has plenty of torque to get the car rolling just fine from a dead stop with virtually no clutch slippage (kinda surprised me, but I'm really pleased). This gives me closer gear spacing than the M23W gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.