Can you help identify this Carrier? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Can you help identify this Carrier?

Well kind of an odd situation. 66 axel housing, build date matches car build date. CE code so thatís a 3.08 posi. Has original tag on fill plug. Gears have been changed to Richmond 3.55. Now the odd. Itís an open rear. Date stamped on carrier is in line with axel build date.

Can you identify? Has it been modified? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	907266CF-2858-4EF2-8282-6BB5446CC4D3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	606882   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD4C6DED-FE78-4532-B282-E77C73DD9B83.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	606884   Click image for larger version

Name:	22FA6721-27E3-48D1-A773-E602A7E043FE.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	606886  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Re: Can you help identify this Carrier?

I've seen those before, but I don't know who made them. It's a limited slip differential, but might be worn out.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Looks like a bizzario unit that Pontiac used in the mid 60's. Have run across a couple of them. Cone type and the ones I saw were worn out. It was possible to machine off the end of the cone to get it to go deeper in the carrier and then shim up spring pack to get it to hold. With all the aftermarket options out there now I think it would make a good door stop if it doesn't work. Otherwise........ it could be worth some dough to someone looking for such a beast.

1970 Chevelle 505 640hp/625tq 700R4 with 2.84 gearset plus more goodies! Moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles Fitech Meanstreet fuel injection

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 9:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Everything Iíve found on this 66 327 chevelle is original as far as date codes and part numbers except the engine has been replaced and the rear gear change. As I mention everything matches except the change to a Richmond gear change. Correct posi tag, correct axel assembly stamp, correct axel casting number, correct axels, backing plates, and drums.

It appears the gear change was made in summer of1997. For the carrier to have not come from the factory, someone would have have to found a date correct donor.

I think I will research how to rebuild it. Would Pontiac have had a carrier that would fit a Chevy 10 bolt?

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sonic View Post
Looks like a bizzario unit that Pontiac used in the mid 60's. Have run across a couple of them. Cone type and the ones I saw were worn out. It was possible to machine off the end of the cone to get it to go deeper in the carrier and then shim up spring pack to get it to hold. With all the aftermarket options out there now I think it would make a good door stop if it doesn't work. Otherwise........ it could be worth some dough to someone looking for such a beast.
Pontiac had two different 8.2" cone type posi units, a two pinion light duty and 4-pinion heavy duty (I've only seen in 1970 units) which were not meant to be rebuilt but a skilled machinist could resurface the cones and carrier halves and then make hardened shims to fit between the cones and side gears to achieve proper side gear/pinion gear back lash. Here's a couple of photos of a 1970 4-pinion unit I have apart on my bench:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	606930   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	606932  
hydro462 likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 11:13 PM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Pontiac had two different 8.2" cone type posi units, a two pinion light duty and 4-pinion heavy duty (I've only seen in 1970 units) which were not meant to be rebuilt but a skilled machinist could resurface the cones and carrier halves and then make hardened shims to fit between the cones and side gears to achieve proper side gear/pinion gear back lash. Here's a couple of photos of a 1970 4-pinion unit I have apart on my bench:
You are correct!! Upon further investigation (and looking at some parts in the shop) I found some parts from the carrier in question. It had small diameter springs (4 of them) and 4 eared clutch plates. Don't remember what it came out of. I bought all the posi rearends out of a salvage yard that was bailing everything when they were closing up.

Thanks for catching my blunder. My bad info was taking this way off track!

1970 Chevelle 505 640hp/625tq 700R4 with 2.84 gearset plus more goodies! Moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles Fitech Meanstreet fuel injection
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 19, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Question Re: Can you help identify this Carrier?

So it looks like it may or may not be original to my car as a guy may have swapped a date correct non working bizzario unit into the car. Why not just use a eaton open unit. Well it works as is and appears to be non-rebuilable. I guess I will have to decide if I want a Eaton posi unit or not.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 12:03 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Here are the plates-clutches I am thinking of. Still not sure if these are of the same unit.

I am not being much help, am I?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mystery posi.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	606936  

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 12:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

That Pontiac unit is a Borg Warner, and was also used by Buick and Olds. I've rebuilt several of them. Not a big deal if you have a lathe and some skill. It's not the same as this 12 bolt unit.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 8:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for the help Guys. Someone may have change the carrier over the years or could production have run short and they stuck a BOP carrier in a Chevelle? Getting ready for Winter in MN Daryl, I am here in Lake City, MN.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 8:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The Borg Warner unit will not fit the Chevy rear end. If I get a chance today I'll try to get some information on this differential.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 9:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Did a little searching this morning. Found the original patent filed Feb 4, 1960 by invented Loren J O'brien. Patent # 2966076 casted into the end of housing. Also casted into the end was 033290 I think and what looks like a small circle with an A inside the circle, followed by a 1, followed by kind of a oval stamp

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 19, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

C2 Corvette!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks everyone, I will now have to talk to a few corvette guys.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 19, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The Corvette differential is split through the center with bolts that hold the 2 halves together. This one is not split.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in