22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 1:42 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: 4-spd vs 5-spd

There is a mod that can be done to the case of the Tremec transmission that is supposed to make it able to be installed without having to cut the trans tunnel. There may even be info about the case modification on Silver Sports website. Probably can get better info about it from site members that have that done than you could from Silver Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 2:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
There is a mod that can be done to the case of the Tremec transmission that is supposed to make it able to be installed without having to cut the trans tunnel. There may even be info about the case modification on Silver Sports website. Probably can get better info about it from site members that have that done than you could from Silver Sport.

As I posted my TKO600 from Silver Sport needed no tunnel mods, they trim the case down and it fit as advertised. They were great to deal with.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 2:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'd rather have 3.23s, a wide ratio four speed, a big motor with a smooth ideling street camshaft profile on a wide lobe separation 112-114. No higher than 9 on compression, 8.75 would be best...

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

big block car with power down low? switch to 3.08 rear gear. small block car with that 450hp up high? switch rear to 3.42. Sounds like you have your Muncie all set up to go....it is a relatively easy swap on a 68-72 - especially the clutch junk... jmho....
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 5:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heckler View Post
big block car with power down low? switch to 3.08 rear gear. small block car with that 450hp up high? switch rear to 3.42. Sounds like you have your Muncie all set up to go....it is a relatively easy swap on a 68-72 - especially the clutch junk... jmho....
I've got a Blueprint 355, dyno sheet said 425 hp/tq, take it with a grain of salt I suppose, but that's what I'll tell you if you ask ;-)

'68 300
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 1:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Yes, the factory drive shaft causes problems many time when using an overdrive transmission with low gears in the rear end. The drive shaft spins too fast and causes a vibration through the whole car.
I used the factory driveshaft in my 68 when I installed my TKO. I had it shortened to fit the new combo and I have yet to experience any vibrations at any speed. Granted the OEM shaft was in excellent condition and I took the time to check the driveline angles when I installed the transmission. Eventually I want to build a new driveshaft, but the OEM piece worked to get the car on the road for PowerTour.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

I have an M22 auburn gear trans with 3.73:1 rear, same tires you have.

Sometimes I wish I had overdrive, but, it sure is fun on the street.

My take on the 5 or 6 speeds is, shift, shift, shift, shift, shiftshiftshiftshsaeie[jaf'l;k AHHHH!

With a bunch of torque you don't need a bunch of gears.

If you want better gas mileage and cruise speeds, get a 6 cyll Nova. just sayin
the heckler likes this.

Dave

1969 Chevelle 460, 3.73 posi
Auto Gear Super Case with M22 gears
12.11 @108 mph
Top speed 114.23
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
I hear ya and the probability of highway travel its relatively low, so I'm inclined to run the M20. I live in the NE, which means winter is 6 months long, I don't get to put a ton of miles on my car every year. Fuel economy is not at the top of my list by any means, it's the 2800 rpm just to cruise the two-lanes that's making me hesitant. The cheapest way to remedy would be to just swap out the rear gear set for something taller, something to make the 60mph more tolerable.

If I'd just hit the jackpot, I'd have the bank to sort out a plan and do everything front to back all at once and not have to revert a change I just made haha.

'68 300
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Quote:
I have an M22 auburn gear trans with 3.73:1 rear, same tires you have.
Is that an Autogear M22? I haven't heard of a Auburn transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 3:22 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:

My take on the 5 or 6 speeds is, shift, shift, shift, shift, shiftshiftshiftshsaeie[jaf'l;k AHHHH!

With a bunch of torque you don't need a bunch of gears.

That doesn't really make sense. With a 5 or 6 speed one has basically the same gear ratios 1 through 4 as a 4 speed transmission so if fact it should be the exact same amount of shifting . The 4th gear ratio on a 5 or 6 speed trans is 1:1. The 4th gear ratio on a 4 speed transmission is 1:1
The difference is out on the highway with an overdrive transmission one has the option of shifting to another gear where the ratio is less than 1:1. With an overdrive transmission one could choose to never shift beyond fourth gear, In that case it would be identical to having a 4 speed transmission.
Pats70ss likes this.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 4:53 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
I thought I replied to this.. But I may try to richen it up to 14 like yours is. I currently run 14.8 which might be why it surges below 1800. I doubt it though, the cam is relatively large.
What is your total timing at cruise. I was having to richen mine up to mid 13 until I hooked up a vac source to the distr. at have it running 45* at steady cruise around 2500. Now I can run mid 14 but that is about it.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 7:12 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anix View Post
What is your total timing at cruise. I was having to richen mine up to mid 13 until I hooked up a vac source to the distr. at have it running 45* at steady cruise around 2500. Now I can run mid 14 but that is about it.

mine is around 42(35 total with 7 vac) at cruise, as a matter of fact I haven't thought about checking at 1800 or so. I have all my timing come in at 2700, so it may be lower.
I will try going to 14.3 and lower my total advance rpm...Love efi makes it easy to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in