Noise on my 70 with new muncie - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Noise on my 70 with new muncie

70 Chevelle. Took the 400 out put new m22 itís new clutch etc. first install , vibration was so bad I couldnít drive it. Removed tranny and had clutch balanced with the old flex plate that was with the 400. Vibration better but definitely not smooth. Shifts great but now Iím getting noise when clutch pedal released. Iím thinking either the imput bearing or the throw out. Only about 100 miles or so on the new setup. I want to get rid of the vibration. Not sure if I should be looking at alignment issues, driveshaft, imput bearing should not have gone bad this soon. I havenít checked oil level yet on the Muncie. Any ideas as where to start. Vibration increases with higher speeds. Tracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: Noise on my 70 with new muncie

Does it vibrate in neutral as you rev it up?
427L88 likes this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

There could be a lot of things going on. So prepare to check lots of things

1) did you ensure there was an airgap between throwout bearing and clutch fingers? If the bearing was touching, it would wear out within about 100 miles. I know this, cause it happened to me.

2) Did you check your bellhousing alignment? If your way off center, it can cause issues. Though usually it'd create shifting problems

3) Can you explain the noise? Does it sound like it's coming from front of transmission? Does the noise happen while driving and goes away if you push in the clutch?

4) Check your driveline angles. Ideally you want equal and opposite operating angles of the U joints under 2*. Sometimes that is not always possible. Download the Tremec driveline angle finder app, it's free and easy.

5) where is the vibration? Is it in the shifter, or your pedals, or the whole car?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Pull the whole thing and start over. Align your bell housing, replace the input bushing, check the input bearing on the trans. Inspect all the parts for signs. Your disc may be bent too. But usually, this would creat release issues.

Sounds like the clutch disc is being allowed to move and when you release the clutch the disc is not centered causing the vibration.

When you are sitting stationary and rev the engine with the clutch out you should be able to feel the vibration if the above is the case. The vibration could at times be less or worse depending on where the disc settles and how far out it sits. You may not feel the vibration with the clutch in when you rev the engine.

Using an externally balanced flywheel on an internally balanced engine could also cause the vibration.

Check your u joints. You would have no vibration when reved up if the issue was further down the driveline.
71350SS likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 7:18 AM
Gold Member
Gene

What flywheel? And then do what VInce said, rev in neutral and see if its still there.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 8:06 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

What engine ? Which clutch ? Which flywheel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiller View Post
Vibration increases with higher speeds.

When you say higher speed do you mean MPH or higher RPM ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Iíll check and verify that. Stay tuned
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Iíll check the rpm in neutral. Iím afraid the tranny wasnít aligned from the start. Stay tuned
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

When checking in neutral would it matter if clutch pushed in or out. Iíll do both. Thanks. Stay tuned
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

At this point, I donít remember the flywheel It was new. Iíll check receipts I guess. The clutch is a hays. New as well.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok I ran it in neutral with clutch in and out. No vibration. Leaning toward the driveshaft. Am I correct in that assumption? This would eliminate a balance problem, correct. Also, when I started it and tested , engine was cold and I did not hear the noises I was earlier referring to.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Check driveline angles.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

454 big block uses a different flywheel than 396 or 427.Small block Chevy 400 uses a different flywheel than all the other small blocks.If what flywheel you used is not the correct one you'll never fix that vibration.
Up to this point you haven't said what engine just "70 Chevelle"

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok, itís a Chevelle ss 454. I just dropped the driveshaft and am having it checked for balance just in case for process of elimination. I revived in neutral and no appreciative vibration. The sort of knocking noise when I release the clutch was not there this morning on a cold start. Iím ch cling on correct flywheel. I bought new a couple of years ago with all the clutch parts. Just got around to the swap. .
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok. I called summit where I purchased flywheel. It still was on file. Itís a 11Ē diameter disc with 1 1/8 diameter shaft with 26 spline. Part number 700180. Iíll research it. I do remember it as being balanced out of box seeing the drilling marks. Any info would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in