Noise on my 70 with new muncie - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 9:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
Didn't read all the replies, but, some things to think about..

Gene is right on with the flywheel.
If that is true, it could be bad news.
My engine builder balanced the rotating mass together.
That means the crank, rods, pistons and flywheel and harmonic balancer. He did drill the flywheel some.

Hopefully,

its the pressure plate out of balance, which is a long shot,

or the bushing in the end of the crank for the trans pilot shaft is missing or the wrong size.

If the flywheel was not bolted squarely with the crank flange, it would vibrate like crazy.

If the pressure plate were not fitting flat on the flywheel, it would vibrate like crazy.

If the bushing in the end of the tail stock for the drive shaft were wrong, worn out or missing, it would allow the driveshaft to run out.

Check your tranny mount for excessive play. you should have put a new one in there.

Do you have the wrong harmonic balancer on there?

When you find the problem, please post the solution.
Thanks for all the info. A lot to consider. I took driveshaft and had it balanced. He said it was definitely out. I reinstalled and now it runs smooth tillabout60-70 mph then more vibration. Also getting the growling sound when clutch pedal released. Appears to only happen after warmup. One minute I think a pilot bushing, then I read about imput bearing, saw a video on clutches and was now thinking disc to light so springs making noise. Then Iím told drive angles. I guess Iíll have to pull the entire thing and examine. If I push clutch in the sound disappears. That tells me that would eliminate the pilot bushing and disc since the imput shaft is stationary. When pushed in, that would indicate the imput shaft bearing. I have two issues here. 1. Growling noise and 2. Vibration at higher spees(mph) revving in neutral does not give me vibration. Iím at a loss Thanks for letting me rant,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 12:36 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Re: Noise on my 70 with new muncie

Might I suggest,

1. Look at where your throw out bearing is when your foot is not on the clutch pedal. If its misadjusted and riding on the clutch fingers, it will be spinning all the
time. Causing the noise when it warms up. There needs to be about 1/2" pedal play between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers when your foot is off the pedal.
2. You mentioned earlier about checking the oil level. Do you ever to that? Because you never said you did. Since this is a new transmission, was it shipped dry? Although things do go south, even when new, I'm fearing the noises are from a lack of lubrication.
3. Someone made mention about the pilot bushing/bearing, Did one get installed when you installed the transmission? This would go in the back of the crank. This could be the reason for the front tranny bearing going out. I had a hard time trying to figure out if you did a tranny conversion, I'm guessing you did. Automatics don't require a pilot bearing, standard transmissions do. Might be the suspect for the vibration at high speed.

Just ideas to think about.
Chris
Billdini likes this.

Chris

Last edited by Jayhawk500; Oct 20th, 19 at 12:53 PM.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 19, 8:43 PM
Tech Team

Does the car have aftermarket rear control arms or has anything been altered rear suspension wise? If so suspect drive line angles regarding the vibration.The faster you go the worse the vibration says it all...Dont ask me how I know.🤬The heat related noise is interesting...something is changing (expanding)with heat.The fact that it stops when you push the clutch in more or less indicates input bearing or perhaps an input shaft to output roller or anything else that ceases to rotate when the clutch is in.Manual transmission noises can be really dfficult to nail down..I once had a Warner ST10 that would howl like a wolf at the moon in 2nd gear ONLY turned out to be the output bearing was a little gritty....never understood that one.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 8:44 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Yep, was going to suggest checking the oil in the Muncie. They ship dry on a rebuild and if you didn't read that or check the level at any time previously, it might be the culprit..............

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 10:10 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiller View Post
I reinstalled and now it runs smooth till about 60-70 mph then more vibration.

Stupid question but have you had the tires and wheels balanced ? Also brake drums ? One of my Wife's coworkers had an old Caddy that nobody could figure out a vibration and it turned out to be the brake drums. I balanced them on my crankshaft balancer and all was well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiller View Post
Also getting the growling sound when clutch pedal released.

That sounds like something in the trans. My S-10 does it but it has almost 300K miles on it. Was this a "New" transmission or a rebuilt one ? Do you have a lift or access to one ? Put it up in the air and have somebody listen to the trans with a stethoscope.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

Last edited by BillK; Oct 24th, 19 at 11:34 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

If you're rolling in gear with the clutch disengaged the clutch disc, input shaft and gear train is still spinning. If the noise goes away when you push the clutch in and the car is rolling it wouldn't totally rule out the transmission because such things behave differently under load/unloaded but I would concentrate on the throwout bearing and pilot bushing. Usually a bad pilot bushing will cause issues shifting as would a misaligned bellhousing.

I think Muncies only hold about a quart of oil so it would be cheap to experiment with a different oil.

As for vibration; the tires need to be balanced to rule out that variable.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 19, 11:36 AM

Did you install a new pilot bushing before you installed the Muncie?
boyd66k20 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in