Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Check driveline angles.
Ok. Next on my list.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 4:58 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Noise on my 70 with new muncie

I just looked at the flywheel you bought and it is not for a 454 BUT . . . in your original post you said that you had it balanced to match the flexplate you had on the engine with the TH400 ? Correct ? If that is the case it should be fine.

So . . . . .

If you dont have a vibration in neutral then it is probably not the flywheel or clutch. Most likely the driveshaft or something else from the transmission back.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for that. Yes I had it balanced as you stated. Driveshaft is off and being checked for balance. I hope that is the case. We will see I will post when I have it back on. Also will check the driveangle.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 6:36 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiller View Post
Thanks for that. Yes I had it balanced as you stated. Driveshaft is off and being checked for balance. I hope that is the case. We will see I will post when I have it back on. Also will check the driveangle.
I am confused. You keep talking about balancing the clutch to a flexplate. Flex plates are for automatics and I assume you are calling your SFI rated flywheel that you bought which BTW is for an internally balanced small block. The 400 SBC and 454 BB use an externally balanced flywheels so if you are using the part number Summit 700180 on a 400 or 454 its wrong. Am I missing something here?
71350SS likes this.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 9:42 PM
Super Mod
Bob

I doubt the driveshaft is out of balance, unless it is bent. Was it in the car before? More likely the angles are incorrect causing vibration.
-SS454- likes this.

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Is the driveshaft a " 3-R " shaft?
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:48 AM
Tech Team
Graham

Why would the driveline angle need checking if he has a Muncie installed on a factory crossmember and the rear end installed in the factory location? Did I miss something? Curious...
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 2:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T9 Chevelle View Post
Why would the driveline angle need checking if he has a Muncie installed on a factory crossmember and the rear end installed in the factory location? Did I miss something? Curious...
Car could be lowered or raised changing angles. I just threw the thought out there as something to check

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 7:23 AM
Gold Member
Gene

If that part # is correct , you have an INTERNAL BALANCE flywheel , whereas a 454 is EXTERNALLY balanced meaning it literally has a slug of metal bolted to the wheel. If that is true, the vibration ought be there always.

Driveshafts out of balance usually feel like it at 55-60 mph.
-SS454- likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 7:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Didn't read all the replies, but, some things to think about..

Gene is right on with the flywheel.
If that is true, it could be bad news.
My engine builder balanced the rotating mass together.
That means the crank, rods, pistons and flywheel and harmonic balancer. He did drill the flywheel some.

Hopefully,

its the pressure plate out of balance, which is a long shot,

or the bushing in the end of the crank for the trans pilot shaft is missing or the wrong size.

If the flywheel was not bolted squarely with the crank flange, it would vibrate like crazy.

If the pressure plate were not fitting flat on the flywheel, it would vibrate like crazy.

If the bushing in the end of the tail stock for the drive shaft were wrong, worn out or missing, it would allow the driveshaft to run out.

Check your tranny mount for excessive play. you should have put a new one in there.

Do you have the wrong harmonic balancer on there?

When you find the problem, please post the solution.

Dave

1969 Chevelle 460, 3.73 posi
Auto Gear Super Case with M22 gears
12.11 @108 mph
Top speed 114.23
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 10:31 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
I am confused. You keep talking about balancing the clutch to a flexplate. Flex plates are for automatics and I assume you are calling your SFI rated flywheel that you bought which BTW is for an internally balanced small block. The 400 SBC and 454 BB use an externally balanced flywheels so if you are using the part number Summit 700180 on a 400 or 454 its wrong. Am I missing something here?

Bill,
I am pretty sure what he meant was that he had the new flywheel and clutch assembly balanced to match the flexplate that he was using with the automatic. This actually is a completely normal operation especially if the flexplate was modified in any way during the original engine balancing.

Like I stated before if he is not feeling the vibration when running the engine in neutral then the problem is not in the engine/flywheel/clutch.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 11:26 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Bill,
I am pretty sure what he meant was that he had the new flywheel and clutch assembly balanced to match the flexplate that he was using with the automatic. This actually is a completely normal operation especially if the flexplate was modified in any way during the original engine balancing.

Like I stated before if he is not feeling the vibration when running the engine in neutral then the problem is not in the engine/flywheel/clutch.
Thanks Bill. I have always been an internally balanced guy but even then I always balanced clutch and flywheel with the rest of the rotating assembly. Didn't know you could balance a 30 pound flywheel and put it in balance using a much lighter flex plate. Live and learn.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 4:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bill, you are correct. That is what I had done,however Iím reading some post alluding to the fact I might have installed the wrong flywheel. The driveshaft was out of balance. Iíve reinstalled and no low speed( mph) vibration. I do have vibration at the higher speeds aron 60-70 mph. Also the noise when I release the clutch is there but only after car has warmed up. Shifts perfectly. I might have to pull the whole thing. The noise points to a input bearing on the m22 but it has less than 100 miles on it. Donít ant to change the bearing until I find out why it failed
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 4:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Is the driveshaft a " 3-R " shaft?
Bob
Iím playing stupid here. Not sure what a 3-r shaft is. Itís a shaft where the tube is larger for the main length than the ends. Iím sure itís the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in