To Drag Race or not to Drag Race - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

13Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 4:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To Drag Race or not to Drag Race

Hello everyone and as always, thank you again for your support. Team Chevelle has been a large part of making my dream come true and I cant thank you enough. I have already done tons of research in regards to my question but I always like to hear your input as I hold it in high regard.

A few days ago, I finally got new tires on my 1970 Chevelle. Although they look awesome, the new tire size completely throws off the gearing. This is ok because I was already planning on changing the gearing of the 2.70 open 10 bolt. So now comes the age old dilemma of street vs strip. When I first start building this car about 2 years ago, I was planning on building a nice little cruiser. It has been slowly turning into more of a nostalgic drag car and at this point, I really want to see what this thing can do.

So my questions are as follows,

What gear ratio would be best for drag racing? Im thinking something like 4.86

What gear ratio would be decent for drag racing but a little better for highway cruising?

Once I have the right gear ratio established I have to figure out what to put it in. Since I dont want to put any time or money into my 10 Bolt, Ive been looking into a 12 Bolt or 9 Inch. The 12 Bolt has has the added beneifit of keeping everything GM but a new 9 Inch would give me the ability to swap gears super quick. I would love some advice on this and if there is a cost efficient way of going about it.

Some info on my car;

454, Gen VI, Short Deck. Not Dyno'd yet but estimated to be about 540HP, hopefully more.
Vintage Ansen 'Shatterproof' Bellhousing. Lakewood Block Plate.
Billet Steel Flywheel
McLeod Street Extreme Clutch- Good Up To 700HP
M22W Drag Race Special from Medatronics Corporation. Equipped with Super Case.
Hurst Competition Plus Shifter
295/65/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street SS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	603834  

1970 Chevelle SS Clone 454 M22W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 4:47 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: To Drag Race or not to Drag Race

The 4.88 might be a little much but certainly a lot of fun at first. I would say with the 454 you really do not need more than a 4.10 and at least have some street manners. The 295 65 is a tall tire (30 inches tall) so the 4.10 maybe like a 3.73 for a guy like me who is a 295-50-15. So with your tire the 4.10 would be nice as I said the tire really drops it down 10% when compared to a regular 27 inch tire. You could go 3.73 since you have a 454. The 454 gives you options because of all the TQ.
454M22 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Find an online gear ratio calculator and crunch some numbers.

To be honest, I wouldnít make any changes until youíve gone a few times and make sure itís something you enjoy. Are you planning on actually racing or hitting a T&T or grudge night a few times a year? Very few people that go to T&Tís and grudge nights go more than a handful of times a year, while many racers go 20-50 times a season. Figure what works for you, then make the change.

Steve R
RealRed70, Kirk's67SS and 454M22 like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Find an online gear ratio calculator and crunch some numbers.

To be honest, I wouldnít make any changes until youíve gone a few times and make sure itís something you enjoy. Are you planning on actually racing or hitting a T&T or grudge night a few times a year? Very few people that go to T&Tís and grudge nights go more than a handful of times a year, while many racers go 20-50 times a season. Figure what works for you, then make the change.

Steve R

Thank you for your response. Ive used the online gear ratio calculators a few times. They are super cool but the problem is I dont know enough about drag racing to know whats best. Top speed vs acceleration, etc.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 5:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
The 4.88 might be a little much but certainly a lot of fun at first. I would say with the 454 you really do not need more than a 4.10 and at least have some street manners. The 295 65 is a tall tire (30 inches tall) so the 4.10 maybe like a 3.73 for a guy like me who is a 295-50-15. So with your tire the 4.10 would be nice as I said the tire really drops it down 10% when compared to a regular 27 inch tire. You could go 3.73 since you have a 454. The 454 gives you options because of all the TQ.
Thank you for your response. In a scenario where i buy a 9 inch and have the ability to change ratios, what would be the best no compromise drag race ratio and the best no compromise cruiser ratio?

like 4.88 / 3.73?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 5:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

On any street-strip car, gear it for what you will tolerate at highway cruising. I raced a street class for years, the track was just over 50 miles from home. Iíd run 45-50 events a season, most of the guys that raced as often geared their car such a manner, even if they lived closer. The guys that race a lot tend to be pragmatic, they are all bracket racing, so they know all out speed isnít the most important thing. Itís nice, in theory to chase ET, but youíve got to live with the car. That should be number one on your list of priorities.

At one point I very nearly finished building a 67 Chevelle. I had an 11-1 427 and 430 gears, all I needed to purchase was a converter and I would have been finished, then I thought to myself, what the hell am I doing. Gas was going to kill me, towing wasnít an option since my side access was often blocked at 11:00pm in the evening. I wound up selling off the car and picking up a 70 Nova, which I will eventually run with a small block and a tall gear. Unfortunately, job changes have made the car less of a priority versus paying bills, itís there waiting.

Steve R
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 6:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454M22 View Post
Thank you for your response. In a scenario where i buy a 9 inch and have the ability to change ratios, what would be the best no compromise drag race ratio and the best no compromise cruiser ratio?

like 4.88 / 3.73?

For cruising in my 396 - 325hp I like a 3.31 to 3.55 because I get to wind out 1st and 2nd gear a while. Lower than that and your out of 1st so fast that it's just not as much fun.

My 427 - 450hp with 4.33 gear (ford 9") is strictly for drag racing and I can have fun in both 1/8th and 1/4 mile.

My best passes through the 1/8th are in 3rd gear at 6800rpm

In the 1/4 I cross the line in 4th at about 5600rpm.

Both with 29" tires and m20 Muncie

Neither ratio is ideal for both 1/8th and 1/4 but with the compromise 4.33 I'm somewhat competitive.

With your M22's higher 1st gear than my M20 you could probably get away with 3.73 for cruising and a 4.56 would equate to my 4.33 for drag racing.

For your 540hp BBC I would highly recommend moser or strange ford 9" with the biggest axles available. My ford 9" is 35 spline

DISCLAIMER: All the above references to drag racing are strictly recreational. I've only won a single trophy in a couple hundred races in 10 years.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Last edited by dream66; Sep 20th, 19 at 7:16 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 20th, 19, 9:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

If you had got the Z gear set instead of the W gear set you could have used a more street friendly gear and drag raced too. I run a 31 inch tire on my car with 5.29 gears in the rear end and a M23Z transmission. I'm shifting at 7200 RPMs and crossing the line at about 7200 in the 1/4. You may not be spinning yours that fast, so you would need a different gear in the rear end, but the Z gear set would get you moving better with quicker 60 foot times. Some of these calculators can help you decide what you need. Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators

As for changing the gears quick in a 9 inch, it isn't that quick. It takes me about 4 hours to change mine. If you plan to change gears in a 9 inch then don't use disc brakes because it only makes it take longer.
Steve R and Kirk's67SS like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 21st, 19, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

See my Sig and what Times I am running

Street & Strip = S60 with 3.73 Gears for the 1/4 if for the 1/8 then 4.10

Tires you listed are great for S & S , as I use the same ones

Re your # 5 Post Query
for Drag Race only = 4.56 for 1/8 and 4.10 for 1/4
for Cruzin I have had 3.55 but the current 3.70 means a only 200 rpm increase at 60 mph

Note: if you want a Rearend that will stand up to punishment then the S60 from Strange is the way to go
454M22 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 21st, 19, 6:15 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Compromise gears 3.7-3.9 .
454M22 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 21st, 19, 7:35 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

If you are doing a lot of highway I would say 4.56 for drag and like 3.23 for cruise. The problem is even soccer Moms are doing 80s in the Prius and mini-vans. I have a GV overdrive in mine with a 2.90 final drive (27 inch tires) and it is about the minimum I would use for extended highway use to keep up with the traffic and not make too much drone for long periods of time.
454M22 likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 21st, 19, 9:38 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Nice car, does your insurance cover you if you're on the strip? I raced my 70 twice, second time I went sideways mid track and was staring at the guardrail. Got out OK, cleaned out my shorts, then was informed later that my vintage insurance would be voided if I had wiped out my investment grade car. That ended my brief racing career.
454M22 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Unread Sep 21st, 19, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski View Post
Nice car, does your insurance cover you if you're on the strip?

I read something from Hagerty Ins during the past year that indicated they would cover that. Don't recall the details though.

Here ya go:

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance
454M22 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Unread Today, 6:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hey everyone. Just wanted to thank you guys for your replies. I'm going to start saving up for a Strange 9 inch.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Unread Today, 7:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Good move, the "all gm" thing makes no sense anymore..9 inches are everywhere the S60 is nice

Gear it for the cam not cruise rpm and it will behave the way you want

The middle ground thing never works, leaves you with a pooch of a car that sounds good at idle, a slipping converter etc

So even if you didnt get an OD drive in the slow lane and hit the track you dont have to go 80...lots of us used to cruise at 3500 and think nothing of it for hours on end

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in