1970 SS...the beginning, Stan's mutt - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

1970 SS...the beginning, Stan's mutt

Well here I go again...after several years on the C1 Corvette forum, it's time to shift gears and take another road.

At the Pate Swap meet in DFW this year I picked up a real nice set of BB heads...along with a 4 bolt standard bore block, a couple of crankshafts and good deals on various other parts.

I had no particular destination, just tired of small blocks for a while...and I had several Chevelles and Camaros back in the day with one big block or another.

With a couple of crankshafts I had at the shop, and my swap meet parts I made the trip down to Stephenville, Texas, to G and G Machine and Racing and unloaded it all to see what we could come up with.

Horsepower is sooo easy to get these days with the strokers and fabulous heads, affordable aftermarket blocks and so on... I just couldn't decide what where to stop. I mean really the sky is the limit...!

As it turned out ...the nice set of swap meet heads I found, made up my mind.

Donnell ran the numbers on them and gave me a call...they were like LS6 heads circa 1970. In fact the same!

I was going to build a rust free '69 Malibu out of new Mexico, and I had a 427 in mind....but decided to clone a LS6 454 with the Comp Cams LS6 solid lifter cam and all.

The only problem with that was after a few days ...I wasn't to keen on a 454 in a '69....even though I liked the idea of building Chevy's top engine from back in the day. ( the LS6 454 instead of a no limit engine today).

The engine is paid for,built and ready for the dyno...but life has slowed me down a few months...and the cloned LS6 still sits down at Donnell's waiting.

...untill I found this '70 SS Chevelle. and the project is back on track.

It's a nice car, but has a weak '68 model 396, and was just begging for a new home and a heart transplant.
It's no numbers matching mutt with a/c...but a real SS, soon to be paired with another mutt..a first class cloned LS6.

So here's a couple of pics...see what you think.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Chevelle 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	603534   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Chevelle 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	603536   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Chevelle 5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	603538   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Chevelle 7.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	603540  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 2:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: 1970 SS...the beginning, Stan's mutt

Sounds like a fun project. Good looking car for sure. Please keep us updated. We love pictures!
Clint44 likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 8:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Thanks Dutch...I'll be sure to post 'em up as it moves along.

First thing on the project is to decide on a transmission.
It has a console and t-400 now. But the shifter linkage needs work.
I have a Muncie 4 speed and super-shifter on the shelf...and have a couple of 200-4R transmissions I could build.
My last project needed the small case on the 200-4R to work easily...but I don't have near as many space problems on a Chevelle.

I'm really bad about going overboard till a car isn't easy to drive a lot...and I'm trying to avoid that this time. hence the iron head, more or less stock engine. I'm trying to treat it like is was a new 1970 LS6 Chevelle that would just get a few few tweaks, like back in the day. Of course ...wheels, headers and gears were the first thing many of us of did back in '70...but I may try to keep it a little closer to stock than even that...decisions decisions.

Exhaust is another thing...headers really make a big hp difference on a good set of heads...but I really hate the heat factor...and gaskets etc., etc.
I haven't done any research...so don't know if anyone makes a decent set of cast iron manifolds that might not choke a engine too bad.
Also I'm guessing that these engines were 2 1/2'"exhaust back in the day...what's everyone running now??

The car has factory a/c...which is complete but, the previous owner(s) loaded it up with 134a and it has waay too much head pressure and doesn't cool well. I used vintage Air on my last project...but like the idea of making this one look like stock a/c under the hood. (Texas heat and I'm 70, so A/c is mandatory)

Anyway...I've got a lot of catching up to do....and suggestions are really welcome on this new venture, so feel free to chime in. I'm really excited about getting to play with a steel bodied car again. It's been a while.

Thanks...Stan

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The Autogear M22Z gear set in the Muncie and a 3.08 gear in the rear end would make this a nice driver in town and on the highway. You will have to cut a large hole in the floor for the Super Shifter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Hmmm.I hadn't thought about a highway gear. That's a good thought.

You're right about a big hole for the Super Shifter...I had forgotten that.
I've got a USA made Hurst Competition Plus I had rebuilt for my wife's 69 GTO and never used ...maybe it would work with the right stick.

I'm wondering what t a stock LS6 cam idles like . I suspect it's not to rowdy....since LS6 cars could be ordered with a Turbo 400. (option)...according to something I read a couple of days back.

They couldn't be ordered with A/C though... I guess this/my motor would be somewhere between a LS5 and a LS6 since the compression will be a little below the stock 11.25/1. The LS5 could be ordered with a/c and automatic I think? SO maybe it would work with both a/c and auto on this engine.

I imagine most of the LS6s were stick shift cars wern't they?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Just looked up that Auto gear ...2:98-2:04 from first to second...that a pretty steep step...have you driven something like this Freddie? If so what did you think of it. Half the fun of a 4 speed is grabbin' a gear once in a while, and it not fall on its face if possible..lol.

Also looks like you build these differentials...I have a set of 3:73's and a posi (no case for it) and a 4:10 posi complete 12 bolt rear end I bought for my 69. I don't know what this car is yet...or even if it's a posi for sure. The engine has a big cam and junk Edlebrock carb, so it's barely driveable right now.

Maybe we could do a little horse tradin" on some gears once I figure out what I need.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

As far as the factory A/C system. You do not enough money to find a better A/C unit than what you have. My one owner 70 LS-5 /M-22 car uses R-12..... My fake SS driver uses the ORG. Factory A/C ( C-60 option).
I have the factory unit looking like it is STILL-1970,,,,, Along with 38 Degrees out of the center vent. YES, I made a few changes so it is compatible with R-134,,, BUT it still looks like a stock factory 1970 A/C unit. If you want to go with the factory 1970 look, You can find a lot of help here on T-Chevelle.
Bob
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

My 427 Camaro with the Z gear set.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
As far as the factory A/C system. You do not enough money to find a better A/C unit than what you have. My one owner 70 LS-5 /M-22 car uses R-12..... My fake SS driver uses the ORG. Factory A/C ( C-60 option).
I have the factory unit looking like it is STILL-1970,,,,, Along with 38 Degrees out of the center vent. YES, I made a few changes so it is compatible with R-134,,, BUT it still looks like a stock factory 1970 A/C unit. If you want to go with the factory 1970 look, You can find a lot of help here on T-Chevelle.
Bob
That's great to know Bob.
I've done a lot of A/C work....but it been years since I had a POA car (or was in the repair business for that matter).
I'm sure there's a lot of near invisible up grades that will help on this. I'm real pleased there's a lot of information on this forum on AC's..I'm gona' need it.

I have no idea what's been done to this AC...what oil they used or anything else...other than they said it had 134A in it. It loads up the compressor quick ..the belt starts slipping and the whole car shudders with the old A6 compressor. The car hasn't been registered since 2003...so I imagine they just charged it up wiythout doing and oil flush or anything. I'm not sure the owner even knew what was done...

I have a old 30lb. drum of R-12 which I could put to use. But with all the cross flow condensers and so on...not sure about the best way to make this car cool. Retrofit or old school. I often wondered what it would take to make R12 work in late model condensers and evaporators...but time constraints till now have kept me from exploring the options.

Back in the R-12 days ...45 degree air was not acceptable to me. But, it seems like it's the norm on a lot of 134 retrofits I see these days. Nothing would please me more than to get this old stock R-12 a/c better than new...(I had a near heat stroke some time back..and can't tolerate hot weather like I used too...not good in Texas!).
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Thanks for the video Freddie,

...not bad, not bad at all!
What rear gear does your Camaro have?
Thanks...Stan
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

It had a 5.29 in it that day, but I run a 3.70 on the street. Tires are 31 inches tall.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 2:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sounds like a fun project.
I can relate: I own an LS6 car that does not have the born with engine. However it is 100% certified stock appearing and runs high 11's with a 3.31 gear,TH400 and no headers.
It is wicked fun on street or strip.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
It had a 5.29 in it that day, but I run a 3.70 on the street. Tires are 31 inches tall.
Roger that...thank you for the input.
Stan
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Sounds like a fun project.
I can relate: I own an LS6 car that does not have the born with engine. However it is 100% certified stock appearing and runs high 11's with a 3.31 gear,TH400 and no headers.
It is wicked fun on street or strip.
Now were talkin'....Wow!
If I can get this car to do that without headers and and automatic...it woiuld make my year!!!
I really would like to avoid headers.
My heads have had some real nice porting work done on them...but are actual LS6 heads. No doubt that LT headers would make a difference but if I can duplicate the performance your car has it "wont have headers".

...ha ha, a 11 second grocery getter. very cool. Does yours have A/C...I'm guessing not since LS 6's didn't come with air.

Would you share what you have done to your car...exhaust pipe size from manifolds, mufflers?, slicks..anything else you might like to add.
Stan

Oops just saw your links...dang what a whole shot..NICE!
...and perfect engine well..(disregard the a/c question, the clip answered that).
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 7:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Looks like I could have jumped the gun a little.
A LS6 car that is 100% stock appearing.
I guess I should ask what cubic inch motor it is....it's not necessarily a LS 454.
A 11 second car really needs some power...whatcha got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in