Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

2Likes
  • 2 Post By big gear head

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 6:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Durand

Posi units.

Who makes the strongest/most durable posi carriers?

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Re: Posi units.

For which rear end? Assuming you are talking about the 12 bolt, the Detroit Locker is one of the strongest. If you want something smoother then the Eaton Truetrac and the Eaton Posi are good. Tom's Differentials was making special heat treated gears for the Eaton Posi, but I don't thin they are available anymore. I don't care for the carbon fiber clutches that are being used in the new Eaton Posi, but those can be changed. I think the Wavelock is available for the 12 bolt, but I'm not sure. It's probably the strongest of all, but very expensive.
fr8dog and davewho1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
For which rear end? Assuming you are talking about the 12 bolt, the Detroit Locker is one of the strongest. If you want something smoother then the Eaton Truetrac and the Eaton Posi are good. Tom's Differentials was making special heat treated gears for the Eaton Posi, but I don't thin they are available anymore. I don't care for the carbon fiber clutches that are being used in the new Eaton Posi, but those can be changed. I think the Wavelock is available for the 12 bolt, but I'm not sure. It's probably the strongest of all, but very expensive.

Actually, I was thinking 9 inch.
I have a nice 12 bolt now, but I'll be increasing the HP significantly here soon and don't want to destroy it.
So I'm looking into the 9 inch housings and posi units.
Thinking Moser Fab 9 housing and axles w/35 splines, but haven't decided on posi unit yet.
Most everyone agrees Eaton makes a good unit, but I'm curious about first hand experience with the Wavelock's as I am kind of leaning that direction.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Shouldn't that be Wavetrac?

Running one behind a MJ 496, quite as a mouse and smooth as silk.
It is in a Moser inch and yes they ain't cheap.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Wavetrac and it has a lifetime warranty.
Mines been great and it’s smooth with no noise.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 6:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by edspdog View Post
Shouldn't that be Wavetrac?

Running one behind a MJ 496, quite as a mouse and smooth as silk.
It is in a Moser inch and yes they ain't cheap.
Yes it is Wavetrac.
My engine will be coming from a little farther west than MJ's.
Ya they're proud of them.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 7:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

When I replace my spool it will be with a Wavetrac. I don't know how much power you'll be making but I'm not remotely worried about my 12 bolt with 35 spline axles.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

You will be limited on which limited slip differential you can use with 35 spline axles. The Traction Lock and Auburn are not available in 35 spline, and those are both junk anyway, so no big deal. The Truetrac may be available in 35 spline, but I'm not sure. The Detroit Locker is available in 35 spline and the Wavetrac (sorry I got the name wrong before). Both are good, but the Wavetrac is smoother and more expensive.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 11:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

The Wavetrac is only available in 35 spline and sold exclusively through Moser. I think you're right about the Truetrac being available in 35 but I haven't heard a lot of good things about them in high power cars. I'll probably try one in my C20 because there isn't really any other option. Besides, the 14 bolt is so huge it would be easy to make a strong unit. I have Detroits in a couple of off road rigs and I would never use one in a street machine. Eventually I'll pull the Detroit out of the rear of my FJ40 in favor of an ARB air locker. I'll leave the Detroit in the front. Detroits are bullet proof but really miserable on the street. I much prefer the spool to the Detroit.

It's really what you're willing to put up with

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I've been running a Detroit Locker in my Camaro on the street for about 20 years with no issues. It's a 4 speed car and it really doesn't make much noise or cause any problems. I've run Power Trax Lock Right kits in 2 of my trucks for about 24 years with no problems, and just a little noise. They were both 5 speeds. They work better on the street than a spool. I've driven my Camaro on the street with a spool for just a few miles and hated it.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 2:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

The Strange S60 with the S-trac helical posi is just as strong as a wavetrac from what I've read. Don't have any personal experience with either (yet).

Here's a nice thread about the S-trac and wavetrac :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ge-s-trac.html

Just bought an S60 with the S-trac and as far as looks go, looks a lot better than a 9" to me LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5701.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	601500  

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 3:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

The S60 is the answer if you can live with a 3.50+ gear ratio.

70 Camino...Roller

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 5:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
...but I'll be increasing the HP significantly here soon and don't want to destroy it.
Skip right to a Strange Dana 60. You'll never worry about your rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post
...Thinking Moser....
yeah...no to the Moser-even their D60.

Strange makes a better rear.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 5:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I like the S60, except for the housing ends. Strange housing ends don't have a place for a factory type axle seal. Moser does. I was going to get a S60 for my '67 Chevelle and order it without ends. Then I was going to put Moser ends on it. Haven't done it yet. I don't think my Chevelle is going to get built.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 5:52 PM
Tech Team
Jason

You can buy a wavetrac for a 9 inch with 35 splines $795 from Quick performance. No need to go through Moser. Lifetime Warranty is transferable.
The wavetrac pressure angles are 30 degrees. Same as the Strange 35 splines.
I used a Wavetrac, Strange pro iron case, Strange 35 spline axles. Quick performance housing with 3.25 tubes. Only time you see issues with a Wavetrac is with Floater axles and wrong oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in