Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

3Likes
  • 1 Post By big gear head
  • 1 Post By Malibu ss 64
  • 1 Post By big gear head

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:25 PM Thread Starter

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 - Rear End Issue

Hello all, I am rebuilding my 8.5 inch rear end on my 1967 Chevelle and I have encountered an issue. Whist finishing the rear end, I decided to change the rear axle bearings. Even with the "correct" axle bearings I am experiencing a lot of end play as shown in the video attached by the link. I have no way of adjusting for this and was not sure if anyone else has encountered this. I am the 2nd owner, but I am not sure if the orginial owner had someone mess with the rear end. I bought the car with only 40,000 miles on it 20 years ago, but never drove it much.

If anyone can help me or has any insight on this please let me know. I've been trying to sort this out for about two weeks now.
Any information helps!

The numbers on the axle are 399.

Images and video:
https://imgur.com/a/X3Whpjv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:31 PM

Re: 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 - Rear End Issue

Has nothing to do with the bearings. However, that does seem slightly excessive, c-clips may be worn.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowherefast View Post
Has nothing to do with the bearings. However, that does seem slightly excessive, c-clips may be worn.
It is a bolt in axle and has no c-clips

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Something is very wrong with that. There should be very little or no end play in that at all. I also don't understand why the axle has that groove in it. Looks like a weak spot to me and possibly a place for the axle to break.

Is the new bearing exactly the same thickness as the original bearing? Does this have the seal on the outer side of the bearing? If it does then is the new seal exactly the same thickness as the original seal?
fr8dog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 2:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Its not the original rearend to the car, chevelle rears has c-clips and ss396 cars should have 12 bolt rears. 8.5” 10 bolt came -71.
Steve R likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 9:04 AM
Tech Team

So is it a BOP rear end? I have one also. Not original to the car. There’s a washer that’s supposed to go behind the pressed on axle bearing and in front of the bolt plate to take up that slack. Check your messages.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 10:21 AM

You had better replace those cracked brake shoes too. We’re there not spacers on the axles with the bearings you removed . ?? Good luck .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

If this is a 8.5 rear end then it's from a '71 or '72 Buick Skylark or Olds Cutlass. There shouldn't be any spacers. If the correct bearings and seals were used then there shouldn't be any end play like this. The ring that goes on after the bearing is just a retainer ring and has nothing to do with axle end play.

There are no pictures showing the center of the housing, so no way of knowing if this is the '71-'72 Buick Olds 8.5 rear end or if it's the BOP 8.2 rear end. If it's the BOP 8.2 then there were different axle bearings used in it, depending on what car it came from. Some of those bearings are no longer available.
fr8dog likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 7:11 PM
Tech Team

On the 8.5 bolt on axles I used Timken # 712146 seals and Timken “Set 9” bearing and race kit, no added washer between the seal and the bolt plate. Brian Trick who does a lot of BoP stuff gave me those part numbers - Napa carries them. The differential book calls for a washer but mine came apart without one and went back together without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in