Team Chevelle banner

Rear Axle Code

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  DwadeCham 
#1 ·
So I finally got under the car and sanded off 50 years of gunk and undercoating. I got this code off the rear axle: FJ0325

So my understanding is that is 3.08 ratio that was made on March 25.

I know it is a 10 bolt. Not sure how to figure out what size. Wondering where to go from here. Just had the engine rebuilt and have around 400 horses to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
#3 ·
It would be much easier to help if you include what year car you are working on. A photo from the rear showing housing would be good too., try this to help:

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Rearend_identification

You are right. I should have taken one. For sure a 10 bolt. I will take one soon. Only pic I took was of the stamp but I think it isn’t helpful.

The car is a 68 Malibu. Originally had a 307 in it with a power glide.

#5 ·
I doubt it was swapped. I guess it’s possible. This picture doesn’t help much but it was the best I could do with it on the ground.

Is there any point to upgrading an 8.2? Or should I just go for something else. I have a lot of other priorities over dropping $3000 on a 12 bolt.

#10 ·
Do you think it is worth upgrading to a 3.55 or 3.73 from a 3.08 with that?

Hehe, someone got a little sloppy with a lot of things on this car. Realized yesterday the bolts for the sway bar bushings/connects aren’t the same. Passenger side spacer spins freely and has about 1/4 to 1/2 of play in it. The one on the driver side, which I assume is the correct one, is right and doesn’t have play in it. One is a coarse thread and one is fine.

#14 · (Edited)
Everything really depends on what your goals are with this car: street, strip, road track, cruiser? With 400 ponys ( i suppose thats flywheel?) not rwhp. If its just street with a little fun I wouldn't hesitate to put a little money into your 10 bolt. I did, 1972 Chevelle, 350/350 3:36, posi, new bearings and seals, hardened axels, girdle, and brakes for less than 1K. Huge difference, great low end, stomped on it a few times - feels fantastic and moves the car pretty well. Don't underestimate that 10b.

Attachments

Reactions: DwadeCham
#16 ·
Eaton 10bolt posi units are readily available for these rears. We recently added on to my son's 68 4dr with a crate 350 and wide ratio Muncie. His car was also originally a 307/PG car. It's now somewhat of a sleeper, with factory air cond.

Oh ya, and another thing that I like to do when I have a rear out of the car, is to add a magnetic drain plug. The LAST year Chevy installed a rearend drain plug was 1961.

I drill and tap for a 1/2in fine thread plug (same plug as used in oil pans). Then I use a die grinder with a sanding disc to make the area around the hole smooth and flat.

I also install new buishings for the trailing arms while I have the rear out of the car. I made up a puller from misc parts, old bearing races, a length of all thread, etc, that I had around the shop.

Reactions: DwadeCham
#18 ·
I would install some kind of overdrive trans. Makes street driving a lot more fun.

How about 3.73 gears and a 200R4 ? That would be a fun combo.

Great acceleration and good cruising too.

It takes special tools to work on a 10 or 12 bolt. I would ask around , maybe someone on craigslist ? I wouldn't do that myself. It's enough of a PITA to pull and reinstall that 10 bolt. >:)

#19 ·
I would install some kind of overdrive trans. Makes street driving a lot more fun.

How about 3.73 gears and a 200R4 ? That would be a fun combo.

Great acceleration and good cruising too.

It takes special tools to work on a 10 or 12 bolt. I would ask around , maybe someone on craigslist ? I wouldn't do that myself. It's enough of a PITA to pull and reinstall that 10 bolt. >:)

I would love that. I just had this powerglide rebuilt though. I had the engine rebuilt so I won’t be able to do anything that is very expensive for a while. I do want to do 3.73 though. If I could find a 200R4 at a good price it could work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.