• 1 Post By Jim Mac
  • 1 Post By big gear head
  • 1 Post By Jim Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Picked up a 12 bolt today

Was getting a haircut today and noticed on my phone that a Moser 12 bolt rear, for 67-69 F body was for sale locally on a social media link. The Ad said it was a Moser rear with c clip eliminator axles, a spool and 4.10 gears. I called the guy and the rear came out of his 68 Camaro he bought recently. He decided to go with wider tires and a narrowed new 9Ē, and the reason for selling the 12 bolt. That was the back story.

So I drive 45 minutes to where the seller is, to take a look. Upon first inspection, I couldnít see any c clip eliminator ends on the housing, even pulled a caliper and rotor to see better, if anything it looked like a stock c clip outer axle ends. So thinking that the rear has c clips, I imagined thereís probably no way it could have a closed off spool? I asked asked seller if driving on the street with the spool rear was brutal during turning, but he seemed puzzled by question? Investigating further, I popped the diff cover off and low and behold, it had a regular posi-traction case and factory style c clips. The housing is very nice, looked similar to GM oem except the center casting looked a little beefier and the inner axle tubes are fully welded to the center housing/casting. The 3rd member cap bolts heads were Allen style. Also came with SSBC calipers and rotors. No emergency brake cables. 3rd member diff had purple pre load springs, could be a Yukon, idk? The 4.10 gears were Yukon brand. Hopefully not horrible Chinese junk? The rear Measures around 54Ē backing plate flange to flange. As you can see In pic of caliper, some genius used some hex nuts to space the caliper?

Not sure why they advertised this as c clip elimanator axles? Anyway, they were firm on price and the seller wasnít really a car guy because when I popped the diff cover to expose the Posi, he didnít seem to know what he was looking at. I was honest with him and told him that it wasnít a spool but a Posi diff with c clip factory axles. $1500 was the price and included a lightly worn set of 3.08 gears and 4 leaf spring u bolts. Hopefully not too bad of a deal? In my neck of the woods, you rarely see oem 12 bolts for sale, let alone aftermarket ones.

Anyone heard of a moser rear coming with c clip factory axles?

I picked this up as I might be looking for a 67-68 F body or 68-72 Nova project. Nice to have a newer 12 bolt in my parts bin!

Headed off to work for two weeks, Iíll try to get some better pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7C6AFA7-4B26-4A8B-A2FD-266A391FF493.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	600612   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D293F53-1AA9-4CCF-8AC2-B420AE580964.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	600614   Click image for larger version

Name:	99E78689-A608-4BBE-A908-E09469BCE16A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	600616   Click image for larger version

Name:	2CEB81D2-4EF1-4988-9F83-A7DBFF27D1D9.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	600618  

Hotwire likes this.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 8:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Re: Picked up a 12 bolt today

Looks like mono leaf spring perches. Moser does build rear ends with c clip axles. I've sold several of them that way. If it has purple springs in it then it's a Yukon Dura Grip.
fr8dog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 4:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Looks like mono leaf spring perches. Moser does build rear ends with c clip axles. I've sold several of them that way. If it has purple springs in it then it's a Yukon Dura Grip.
Seller said it was in a 68 camaro. Any idea on how deep the spring perches are for mono vs multi leaf. I may have goofed on this one! 🤦‍♂️

Jeff

Video:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 6:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
Seller said it was in a 68 camaro. Any idea on how deep the spring perches are for mono vs multi leaf. I may have goofed on this one!
The mono's are 1" deep and multis are 1-13/16" deep.

The multis also have a hole in the center of the mount to locate the pin that holds the multi-springs together.

Scroll down this page : rear suspension and brakes
fr8dog likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

That sounds like a good deal for a first gen camaro 12 bolt posi. Ive been trying to sell a 66 chevelle 12 bolt posi locally for the same price and havent got a single call. Jim
fr8dog likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 4:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
That sounds like a good deal for a first gen camaro 12 bolt posi. Ive been trying to sell a 66 chevelle 12 bolt posi locally for the same price and havent got a single call. Jim
I had a 65 Chevelle 12 bolt 4.56 posi for sale. Had to let it go for $1200 and the buyer paid for shipping.

Jeff

Video:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 5:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Jim if you weren't on the other side of the country I'd be interested in that '66 rear end.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 1:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

shipping would be a hassle. who knows, maybe theres 1 more A body in my future, or it might be cheaper to cut the perches off and have camaro pads installed vs having a posi set up put in the open 12 bolt with a lock right, that's in the camaro now. jim

Jim

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 7:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Please don't mess up a good '66 Chevelle 12 bolt. You may not be having much luck selling it, but those rear ends are too hard to find when you need one.
Malibu ss 64 likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

actually have a guy looking at it Tuesday, he has a 66 ss that someone pulled the rear from and he needed a early dated rear. jim
big gear head likes this.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in