Close or wide ratio t56? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Close or wide ratio t56?

hello, im currently trying to mate a T56 magnum to my 396 big block on my first gen camaro. I have two options the close ratio T56 or the wide ratio. Im running a 3.73 rear gear with a 25inch tall tire 335/30/18. Streetcar. What ratio do you guys recommend?

wide ratio, 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1:1, .74, .50
Close ratio 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1:1, .80, .63

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 4:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: Close or wide ratio t56?

Close ratio, even that will seem like a low first with that rear tire.
David Bates, -SS454- and OLDED like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 6:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

^^^ What Jerry said!
OLDED likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Close ratio, even that will seem like a low first with that rear tire.
The wide would be a highway king with that rear and tire size, just skip 1st altogether most of the time. Too bad you can't mix and match.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I'd say it depends on where you live. You have a lot of steep hills to start on? What are you running now?

Here's an online calculator you can plug your current ratios into and then compare to either trans to get an idea of speeds vs RPM in each gear.

Gear Ratio Calculator
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I've got a TUET2066 T56 out of an 05 GTO, it has gears similar to your wide ratio. I absolutely love it. 1st is there if you need it but can start out in second and skip gears with little effort. 90% of my burnouts are in second. Sometimes you have a 3 speed, 4, 5, or go all out with all the gears.

I have a 25.3" tire with 3.73s. Cruising at 70mph is 2k rpm, 60 is 1.6k.

The gear ratio puts the engine in its sweet spot every gear.

I like this calculator as it gives you all the info:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

https://youtu.be/Q6ic8GV-eIY
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

It looks like half of you guys are saying close ratio and the other half suggest the wide ratio. Where I live, I live in California. Traffic in every direction.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 6:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

OK, think of it this way. What is the donor vehicle for each of the transmissions. Then think of the driving style they were intended for, and which is closer to what you will be doing most of the time.
Either would be a huge improvement in ratios over just about any 4 speed. And even the close ratio's 6th gear is a fairly steep overdrive, also I guess how torquey is your engine? Being a lighter Camaro, and my guess on driving, I'd probably go the close ratio. You would have a 2.35 effective final drive which is still turning rpms like what a 2.6:1 with 28" tires would be. (if that isn't too much rambling)

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro69 View Post
It looks like half of you guys are saying close ratio and the other half suggest the wide ratio. Where I live, I live in California. Traffic in every direction.
Then 6L80E?

Click on the gear calculator I posted, input the first set of gears, tire size, rear gear, print it, then input the other set. Look @ the rpms you'd be at for different scenarios of your driving in your area, then make a decision. You know your engine? Know where it makes power / happy place? Study the different scenarios, then you can make a decision.

I've almost got 10k miles on this setup and only time I thought I'd like a different gear ratio was at the track because I was topping out 3rd gear before the traps in the 1/8, but that would be a tire size or rear gear change. I really do like the gear setup in this trans, as I said earlier, it leaves a lot of options. I can start in 2, go to 4, then 6 if I'm tired of shifting. My usual shift pattern is 1, 3, 4, 6. My 6.0 can hold 6th gear from 40mph+ (flat streets) without lugging.

I've driven in parades, long distance hauls, city, country, mountains, never once thought of different gear ratios. I just drove 3 hr round trip Tuesday night to look at some rims, stayed around 80mph on the highway with the cruise control set, loved it.

Here's my ratios if you'd like to compare to yours. I like the option of starting out in first or second, w/ the close ratio you don't have that option. I started out in 3rd one time because I let my daughter shift without my help, car made it, but wasn't happy.:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Rev
2.97:1 2.07:1 1.43:1 1.00:1 0.84:1 0.56:1 2.90:1
wide ratio, 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1:1, .74, .50
Close ratio 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1:1, .80, .63

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Sorry for the double post. Coffee kicked in.

I've got an LS motor that red lines @ 6400 rpm, so I have a little more headroom for shorter gears. If you don't rev the 396 that high, might go with the close ratio trans.. That'll give you a little more steam in the gears and you're probably making more torque than I am, plus my car is weighing in at 3,547.

I've been to San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose. If any of those locations are a sample of your traffic, I hate it for you. If you aren't going on long distance highway trips that often, the difference in 6th won't really hurt you that much.

Here's my fastest pass in the 1/8, fast forward to 30 seconds if you want and ignore that jack ass laughter at the end. Had beat a 10 year long streak of bad times and was happy as hell the car stuck the whole track. You can see hear the rpms and sort of tell what my gearing would be like in your car.

https://youtu.be/Ij4TrAS_bo8

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

I've got an LS motor that red lines @ 6400 rpm, so I have a little more headroom for shorter gears. If you don't rev the 396 that high, might go with the close ratio trans.. That'll give you a little more steam in the gears and you're probably making more torque than I am, plus my car is weighing in at 3,547.

I've been to San Diego, San Francisco, and San Jose. If any of those locations are a sample of your traffic, I hate it for you. If you aren't going on long distance highway trips that often, the difference in 6th won't really hurt you that much.

Here's my fastest pass in the 1/8, fast forward to 30 seconds if you want and ignore that jack ass laughter at the end. Had beat a 10 year long streak of bad times and was happy as hell the car stuck the whole track. You can see hear the rpms and sort of tell what my gearing would be like in your car.

Was the laughter about the other guy's red light?

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 3:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Was the laughter about the other guy's red light?
No that was a, Holy crap I just beat a time I'd set ten years ago by a good margin (8.38) and never had the means to beat it / I'd accomplished a long time goal and am able to drive home with nothing broke / hell yea car did its job, tires stuck, didn't miss a gear / why the hell did I roll into 4th way past the lights!

Car surprised me it held so well, I was somewhat holding my breath through the run, just bunch of emotions hit me at once, was a good night.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:21 AM
Tech Team

If that 396 has a healthy cam go with the close ratio. That's what I went with with 3.73s and a taller tire with a 496.... Really depends on how the engine is built.
OLDED and hydro462 like this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 2:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
If that 396 has a healthy cam go with the close ratio. That's what I went with with 3.73s and a taller tire with a 496.... Really depends on how the engine is built.
Engine build consists of a stock bottom end, comp cam lift: .504 .510 duration @.50: int:218 ex:224 LSA 110. It's a mild cam with strong torque, msd ign, msd dist, stock heads(truck heads), Edelbrock airgap intake, 750 carb, headers, exhaust.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 19, 2:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

there no need to be sorry here haha. I appreciate the feedback you fellas are handing me.
Hotwire likes this.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in