13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 4:53 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage
clutch adj

hey all when i put some free travel in my clutch pedal have a hard time getting in gear take out the free travel it goes in gear but its not smooth, need help thanks to all replies , 66 chevelle ss bb 427, zoom clutch, pp, like new flywheel all new z bar and linkage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: clutch adj

You should have 1" free travel at the pedal.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 7:23 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Did you know that:
Not all pressure plates have the same finger height;
Not all throw out bearings have the same installed height;
Not all release arms are the same length;
Not all pivot balls are the same height;
Not all flywheels have the same surface height?

Now stack the tolerances on any two of those items and you can get the problem you are experiencing. Been there, done that, got the merit badge.

Maybe you will find your answer in here.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...-part-2-a.html
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 8:07 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
You should have 1" free travel at the pedal.
how far off the floor should the cluth start grabbing. mine is prob2 inches off floor.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40 View Post
how far off the floor should the cluth start grabbing. mine is prob2 inches off floor.

That is just about perfect!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

does lengthening the clutch rod take out free play or shortening ?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 10:47 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40 View Post
does lengthening the clutch rod take out free play or shortening ?
Lengthening the rod takes out the play.
p40 likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Yes, lengthening will takeout free travel at the top of the pedal which in turn will make the pedal catch higher off the floor. If you adjust it try one full turn of the rod and see how that is then go from there.
p40 likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

thanks john and hank , thats what i thought , but wasnt 100 percent sure. like i was saying when i go for the free play the trans just does want to go in gear, im wandering if i fab a longer clutch rod would that work . im 68 y/o and dont get up and down l hate to tear it apart again , any ideas thanks guys
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 1:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I'm your age too and know how the up and down isn't as easy as it used to be. The closer the pedal catches to the floor the more chance you would have a harder time shifting it and a better chance of the transmission grinding when you put it in reverse. When you drive it see if your really matting the pedal when you put it in. Every once in a while I would notice I wasn't pushing the clutch in all the way especially if I got a grind in reverse. If everything is set up right there should be no reason to go to a longer rod than the stock one that's in the car.
LeoP and p40 like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 3:22 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

your spot on hank. the closer to the floor the clutch grabs the harder to go in gear i just dont know were to start every thing is brand new . i talked to a tech at zoom and he thinks i need an adj fork bal. im old school dont know nothing abought that stuff but im willing to listen if someone wants to explain how to adj it thanks
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 3:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Check your clutch pedal stop. If it's original it will be about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick. If it's thicker it may be a repop. You can trim it down to gain some free play.

The wrong clutch fork will cheat you out of fork movement. If you have a clutch fork with "wings" it's a Lakewood or truck fork. It's longer and results in less fork travel.

As Alan eluded, if your clutch fork angle is not correct you won't be able to achieve enough free play or clutch release. You'll smoke the throwout bearing if it's not releasing and you'll grind your gears and wear syncros if you don't get a full clutch release. No adding length of adjustment rod or bell crank modification can overcome an improperly set clutch fork angle.

Basically, you need to start at the top and adjust your clutch fork angle so it will work within the limits GM gave us to work within. This is done with an adjustable pivot ball or adjustable throwout bearing.

Check the item listed above and see if you can get it to work for you. You should be able to achieve some freeplay on the throwout bearing and still be able to get into reverse from neutral within about 9 seconds without grinding. If she grinds, you're not getting full clutch release.

Take a look at your clutch fork angle. The fork should we 5-7 degrees forward of parallel to the trans shaft with the fork held against the throwout bearing. It will be very close to the front of the bellhousing window. If it is clearly back of 90 degress, it will have to come apart and clutch fork angle corrected.

Fork on left is H.D. truck or Lakewood type. Fork on right is correct for 65- 72 Chevelle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle clutch fork vs truck fork.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	598680  
LeoP and HKalin like this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 3:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

This is a primer of what you'll be going through if you need to adjust your clutchfork angle by using an adjustable pivot ball. It starts a bit into the video at 4:25. The beginning has tips that are worthy as well. After you get the pivot ball height set, apply red lock tight to all threads and reassemble. They like to come loose if you don't.

You might want to align your bell housing too. It's not fun, but might as well getter done if you have the beans now so it doesn't bite you in the butt later.

p40 likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 4:24 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
This is a primer of what you'll be going through if you need to adjust your clutchfork angle by using an adjustable pivot ball. It starts a bit into the video at 4:25. The beginning has tips that are worthy as well. After you get the pivot ball height set, apply red lock tight to all threads and reassemble. They like to come loose if you don't.

You might want to align your bell housing too. It's not fun, but might as well getter done if you have the beans now so it doesn't bite you in the butt later.

Part 16 How To Set The CFor The Big Block Chevy - YouTube
thanks al for the info and vidio awsome info on the vidio. i dont have the fork with wings so i should be good to go on that , who seels the adj pivit ball thanks
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

i should say who sells the adj pivit ball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in