I made a stupid mistake - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

I made a stupid mistake

Had an issue with my rear brakes. Jacked up the car, put it in gear. Inspected it. Determined what I needed to do next. Grabbed the shifter and threw it in park. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. So much clicking. Shut the car. Turned it back on. All gears still work but it clicks when going into park. Any ideas on what got damaged and what to do next? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Re: I made a stupid mistake

TH400 transmission. Can it be fixed just by dropping the pan?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Likely just bounced the park pawl against the notches. Theyre pretty tough. If it still holds in park, Id just leave it alone. You can check to see if youve broken any teeth off by moving the car a couple of inches in neutral then putting it back into park, about fifty times. You should be able to push the car slightly forward and back each time its in park. If you have one position wherein you can move the car farther than in the rest, broken tooth (teeth).
BillsCamino and fr8dog like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Thanks a lot for the response. Makes me feel a little less depressed. 😂
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 1:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Jay stuff happens to all of us sometimes
just caulk it up to dumb stuff we do before we
" think twice before you do something" AND " Measure twice before cutting"

Been there done that many times over in the Heat of the Moment LOL
BossHogg69 and Pats70ss like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

haha, exactly. Thanks. The good thing is it does go into park and the wheels lock. There was one time that it went in w/o clicking sounds, but the other 5 or 6 times it clicked before locking. I'm not starting or shifting it again until I take the pan off and check things out.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Likely just bounced the park pawl against the notches. Theyre pretty tough. If it still holds in park, Id just leave it alone. You can check to see if youve broken any teeth off by moving the car a couple of inches in neutral then putting it back into park, about fifty times. You should be able to push the car slightly forward and back each time its in park. If you have one position wherein you can move the car farther than in the rest, broken tooth (teeth).
If it's a broken tooth, that can't be ignored, right? I suppose I should just do the test and see how it goes. Maybe I don't have to drop the pan just yet, but is there risk in starting the car? I can move it many times in neutral from where it sits, but my driveway is slightly inclined, so I won't be able to get it back into the garage w/o using it's own power.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

You didn't break a tooth, pretty much guarantee that. You may have, but not likely, damaged the parking pawl. You can drive it just fine and use the parking brake until the end of time if you did manage to break the pawl, it won't hurt anything. Sounds to me like you probably just need to adjust the shifter. Adjust it with all 4 tires on the ground if you can. Adjusting them on jack stands can tweak the frame just enough that when you set it down it can make park engagement a little iffy. Edit- assuming you have mechanical linkage. Probably doesn't matter with a cable. None of my junk is that fancy.
427L88 and hydro462 like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 1:10 PM
Gold Member
Gene

As a stupid kid Jay, I plowed my lever into "P" in a 75 NOVA and it sounded like cards in spokes. I continued to beat the snot out of that T350 and it never gave up the ghost. You should be fine man.
fr8dog likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

Like Steven Segal, they're Hard to Kill. I purposely threw a th400 into reverse 10 times when going about 60 mph to see if we could kill it. When that didn't do it, I was throwing it into park at 60. It made some godawful noises, but didn't break the pawl until about the 5th or 6th time. Those things are tough as hell.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 2:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

My spirits have been lifted! Thanks, guys!
427L88 likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 2:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

for safety's sake, pull the pan an look closely , at the pawl, and the teeth, for chips and cracks . All is pretty heavy metal so likely its OK. BUT , you don't want it rolling down the driveway at will.
The teeth are on the low gear ring gear in the back of the case -no small job -complete disassembly; the pawl is cross pinned and can be changed with trans in car but still a tedious job.

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 4:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveshaft-texas View Post
for safety's sake, pull the pan an look closely , at the pawl, and the teeth, for chips and cracks . All is pretty heavy metal so likely its OK. BUT , you don't want it rolling down the driveway at will.
The teeth are on the low gear ring gear in the back of the case -no small job -complete disassembly; the pawl is cross pinned and can be changed with trans in car but still a tedious job.
Good advice, Harold. Thank you. I'm not ruling it out, as there's seemingly some kind of damage at least to the pawl. Could just be a little bent. It does get into Park, but clicks for a second before it gets there.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 7:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
This worked out pretty well. clicked in every tooth and held. shifted from neutral to park dozens of times and the only issue was that it sometimes remained locked despite being in neutral. This happened three times but eventually released when pushed. No more clicking, though, even when running. Thank you.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 8:17 AM
Tech Team

Yeah, probably bent a little. I'd still pull the pan and check/replace it, but no doubt the car is safe to drive.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in