Turbo400 stuck in drive ALL THE TIME - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 4:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question Turbo400 stuck in drive ALL THE TIME

I have posted this question on a few other websites but haven't found anyone who has heard of this problem.

I have a 1970 cutlass 455 SX that I want to sell. Problem is it has sat for 10 years since I bought it.
I have it running but the transmission is giving me problems.
I need the trans to work so a future buyer can have it transported easily as a running car.

I added fluid to the trans as it needed 5 quarts.

The problem is before I added the fluid it would not move.
The engine revved up easily with no resistance while in park.

Now that I have the fluid in the trans, While the car is in PARK, the trans is creating resistance to the engine as if it is in gear and I am stepping on the brake. The park pin is holding it in place.

I hope this makes since.

So I believe the trans is somehow stuck in drive. When I shift the car into reverse it moves forward. when it is shifted to neutral, it moves forward. When in drive, it moves forward.

When in park, it stays in place because of the parking pin in the trans, but it WANTS to move forward.

Ideas what can be going on? I searched on line and can't find anyone with a similar problem.

All ideas welcome.
Thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_214948.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	598150  

Mr. D (ratchetmaster)
72 454 El Camino turbo400 (now my x-wife's car!)
69 Olds 442 convertible M3
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
1968 SS Camaro 572, Tremec 600, hotchkis, etc.
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4 for sale
2002 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT EXt.CAB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 5:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Turbo400 stuck in drive ALL THE TIME

Yank the valve body and clean it up. I wouldn't completely disassemble it but I would move all the valves around with a screw driver and pick then spray it really well with brakeclean. It wouldn't hurt to clean the governor and replace the governor filter as well. You'll probably need valve body gaskets and governor gasket if you clean it too but those will only cost you about $10 if you have a Whatever It Takes store near you. Obviously you'll need a pan gasket and fluid, too.

I would bet it just has a gummed-up valve. Make sure you have 2 O-rings on the filter tube to case connection while you're in there.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 6:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

What happens when you select reverse,does it engage,back up?How about any of the forward gears,does it engage,move forward,upshift?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

since it sat with low fluid for a long time, I'd try filling it like you did, running it around local roads until it got HOT. Maybe once it all circulates it will loosen up. I would try putting it in 1st, so to prevent (hopefully) it shifting when away from the house, and then bump it up at 5-10 as you pass your house incase it locks up when it shifts or something. After moving it around, check fluid again and top off, might take a couple times.
If it feels like reverse and forward are engaged, I'd try letting it idle a good while staying in the car to hold brakes incase something happens.
Is there any chance it had a transbrake or something?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:45 PM
Gold Founding Member

Pull the pan, put the manual valve linkage back together.

I had a Powerglide that did the same thing. Linkage piece wasn't connected.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 11:22 AM
Super Mod
Bob

Is the shifter connected to the trans? The shift level on the side of the trans is connected inside the pan with a link as the poster above says, check that out.

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 12:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Pull the pan, put the manual valve linkage back together.

I had a Powerglide that did the same thing. Linkage piece wasn't connected.
I had the same exact thing happen on a TH350... Brand new rebuilt, worked for first testdrive, then it was stuck... It ONLY had forward, and even in Park it was pushing the Park pawl...

Turned out it was the internal linkage, a link had popped off after my first drive...

Easy fix, but since I didn't know AND it was fresh, it was towed back to the shop... They pulled the pan, fixed the link, put the pan on and refilled fluid in about 10 minutes...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

400 has no internal linkage except for park...it uses a pin on the rooster comb to engage a slot on the spool that directs fluid for the gear selected. There is a finishing nail inserted into the case to hold the shift shaft in place. If the nail is gone , the pin could disengage the spool, allowing it to remain in gear all the time , and still engage park.Park could ratchet a little if its still in gear while selecting park. Do the run in as suggested to see if the heat will release a stuck valve, as this should be the problem if it was all working when parked years ago. Manual low ups the line pressure so drive some distance then manual shift up at speed . Pay attention to what happens as you shift -should be instant and firm

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:41 PM
Tech Team

if linkage checks ok i would suggest a product called trans medic made by gunk. purchased mine @ pep boys. It fixed a 700r4 in my astro that wouldn't back up that felt like it was in forward/rev at same time. poured it in and drove it ... another 125,000 miles without issue. Recently recommended it to my brother for a continuously erratic shifting ford ranger. Called me back and said it fixed it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'd also pour in some Transmedic. Then drive it a lot getting it up to temperature and letting it shift through the gears. If this cures the problem, great, drop the pan, do a filter change and replace what came out with fresh fluiid.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 7:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Just curious,never got an answer to my previous question? Does everthing else work properly? reverse,all forward ranges,upshifts ect.?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Mr. D, any responses to the ten posts about your problem?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 9:44 PM
Levon

Hasn't been back since posting on the 12th.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 12:32 PM

If the manual valve is connected, and the trans wants to go forward in all gears, It should act as if the brakes are on when you put it in reverse. You know, like the car wants to move but it's being held back. If this is what it does, that means the forward clutches are welded together caused by running low on fluid. The clutches were slipping and got so hot they stuck together to make the forward clutch be engaged all the time. It needs to be rebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in