68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

 5Likes
  • 1 Post By 68Chevele
  • 1 Post By Ironman711
  • 1 Post By lucifershammer
  • 1 Post By Ironman711
  • 1 Post By yanniziomas
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 19, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Getting frustrated here and looking for guidance. I have been in the process of having my ‘69 327 rebuilt and it has been one thing after another. They are trying to get some more horses under the hood.

Anyway, today they do the break in and start to drive it and the transmission won’t shift up to second. It was rebuilt in the last month by a supposed powerglide guru here locally. I am a little frustrated because that is what is keeping me from driving the car home. They put a shift kit in and the kickdown linkage. 2400 stall torque converter. And in my 5 minute conversation with the owner of the transmission shop he wasn’t much help. But to be fair it was a few minutes until 5 and the “guru” had just left.

He did say the car may have to come to their shop to be worked on which ticked me off. I understand but it shouldn’t be my responsibility to get it there.

Anyway, some of that is unimportant venting. Mainly I am looking for thoughts on the glide not shifting up after a recent rebuild.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 2:10 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 544
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

How in the hell do you screw up a powerglide? you can build them with your eyes closed. It is pretty sad when the shop just blows you off also. I suspect that something in the shift kit install did not go right. I always use the Trans Go stuff now as the B&M shift kits seem to cause unwanted wear. Make sure the kick down linkage is on and adjusted right. You could always put a turbo 350 in it.
DwadeCham likes this.
68Chevele is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 7:44 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 38
It could be a list of things if they completely rebuilt the trans they could have nicked the lip seal that's on the piston that ally's pressure to the clutches the kick down cable. It sounds to me I'd be looking for a different trans guy for my next one to me. Bc like was stated you can build them with your eyes closed there a lot easier than the rest to build
DwadeCham likes this.
Ironman711 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 8:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
How in the hell do you screw up a powerglide? you can build them with your eyes closed. It is pretty sad when the shop just blows you off also. I suspect that something in the shift kit install did not go right. I always use the Trans Go stuff now as the B&M shift kits seem to cause unwanted wear. Make sure the kick down linkage is on and adjusted right. You could always put a turbo 350 in it.


The guy made me tow it to them. I called later that day and he admitted it was their fault. Some parts with the shift kit that shouldn’t have been installed. Supposedly I can go get it Monday. Also told me a u joint needed to be replaced. I will have some words for them Monday if they don’t offer to pay the tow bill or fix the u-joint for free.

He tried to say that when i bring them a transmission and they build it and I carry it out that is different somehow. Which I kind of understand if it was the installers fault. But in this case it wasn’t and he admitted it. He should offer to pick up the tow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman711 View Post
It could be a list of things if they completely rebuilt the trans they could have nicked the lip seal that's on the piston that ally's pressure to the clutches the kick down cable. It sounds to me I'd be looking for a different trans guy for my next one to me. Bc like was stated you can build them with your eyes closed there a lot easier than the rest to build


Unless they really go out of their way to make this right I will definitely be getting a new transmission guy. It had something to do with the shift kit. Parts they shouldn’t have installed but his guy did. Caused something to burn up and lose seal or something.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,351
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

I've found that most places that do bench builds of transmissions will cover the transmission if they do a bench build for you, but not the labor to install/remove since they didn't do any of that work. So it's on you in those cases to get them the transmission if there is an issue.

Heck, many of the shops that do full installs don't cover anything but their own work. So if it fails somewhere and you have to have it towed, that's on you too (in most cases.). Once in a while you might find an exceptional shop that does you right, and those are worth their weight in gold. Most shops though, not so much.
DwadeCham likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
lucifershammer is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I've found that most places that do bench builds of transmissions will cover the transmission if they do a bench build for you, but not the labor to install/remove since they didn't do any of that work. So it's on you in those cases to get them the transmission if there is an issue.



Heck, many of the shops that do full installs don't cover anything but their own work. So if it fails somewhere and you have to have it towed, that's on you too (in most cases.). Once in a while you might find an exceptional shop that does you right, and those are worth their weight in gold. Most shops though, not so much.


I can see that to a point. But if they determine it was their fault and not the installer, then I think they should cover the tow. But at this point I just want my car back. It has been a long process. Been looking forward to this for two years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 2:31 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 38
Sounds like they either got the plates out of order and caused a flow problem to me or used the wrong paper gasket in between the trans and plates causing the flow that should have went to second gear clutch pack not to accrue
DwadeCham likes this.
Ironman711 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 3:00 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 472
I’d quit worrying about a $100 or whatever tow bill and get the car back and enjoy it, especially if you think they might need to work/service the transmission again at some point!
DwadeCham likes this.
yanniziomas is online now  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman711 View Post
Sounds like they either got the plates out of order and caused a flow problem to me or used the wrong paper gasket in between the trans and plates causing the flow that should have went to second gear clutch pack not to accrue


I think that is what happened. They are supposed to fix it today and I can drive it to the shop that rebuilt the engine for a final test and tune.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 92
Garage
Re: 68 Powerglide doesn’t shift into 2nd after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
I’d quit worrying about a $100 or whatever tow bill and get the car back and enjoy it, especially if you think they might need to work/service the transmission again at some point!


Worry isn’t the right word. I have just been through a bathroom remodel and an engine/transmission rebuild. It just ticks me off that people don’t do what they’re supposed to do. If I treated my job like that I would be fired.

But you’re right and that’s my plan. I should get it back today and just want to enjoy it. I do need to put some gauges in though to replace the idiot lights.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DwadeCham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome