Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

2Likes
  • 2 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Urethane UCA mount bushings for 12 bolt

I can't seem to find a part number from Energy Suspension, or Prothane on getting these bushings. I did see UMI has a pair for $40 bucks, but I am trying to see if I can find something locally. I don't care too much about the brand, but does anyone have a part number?

Thanks

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
OLIVER

Re: Urethane UCA mount bushings for 12 bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
I can't seem to find a part number from Energy Suspension, or Prothane on getting these bushings. I did see UMI has a pair for $40 bucks, but I am trying to see if I can find something locally. I don't care too much about the brand, but does anyone have a part number?

Thanks
I changed all the body mounts to energy suspension and looked for them , did the search came up with nothing , so i bought the UMI

Oliver
Milano , ITALY

1969 396 SS monaco orange (72)
468 Vortecpro 585 HP back to street cruiser
M20 4 speed - 3.31
Prosystems 1000
BEST ET 11.62 (with 4.10)
BEST MPH 121
BEST 60 FT 1.64
4000 lbs street car

1969 El Camino Street Strip
467 Vortecpro Tunnel ram 730+ hp TH400
BEST ET 10.67 @ 127 1.56 60FT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 12:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I think energy suspension only sell then as a set of eight or four.
The set of four is part nr 3.3169(R or B for the colour you want)
https://www.energysuspensionparts.co..._chevelle_1970

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 1:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Are you sure you want the urethane bushings in the rearend?

The Upper arms and bushings NEED to flex for the rearend to travel/articulate through its normal motion, and really stiff bushings in that location will limit that, putting the stress on the frame cross-member or the upper arms. The extra stiffness actually increases the overall "spring rate" because the arms will act like a torsion bar. I ended up swapping back to quality rubber at both ends of the upper arms (urethane everywhere else), and handling and comfort improved... My next project will be arms with spherical joints at both ends...
Malibu ss 64 and hydro462 like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 2:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

If you want freedom of movement and no binding, then you should install either the UMI Roto-joints in the differential housing or the Currie Johnny Joints.

65-88 GM A/G-Body Roto-Joint Rear End Housing Bushings [2999] - $159.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9112A

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 1:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have johnny joints in the UCA's on the frame side.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 2:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Are you sure you want the urethane bushings in the rearend?

The Upper arms and bushings NEED to flex for the rearend to travel/articulate through its normal motion, and really stiff bushings in that location will limit that, putting the stress on the frame cross-member or the upper arms. The extra stiffness actually increases the overall "spring rate" because the arms will act like a torsion bar. I ended up swapping back to quality rubber at both ends of the upper arms (urethane everywhere else), and handling and comfort improved... My next project will be arms with spherical joints at both ends...
I did the same.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 3:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

wouldn't having spherical bushings on all ends of the UCA allow the rear axle to shift left/right?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 9:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
wouldn't having spherical bushings on all ends of the UCA allow the rear axle to shift left/right?
Not at all. Sphericals are one of the first things I do when I buy an old car. If not sphericals then keep them rubber..

I would do rubber in the two center bushings and sphericals on the rest. I recommend SC&C Stage three for the front with the superior Howe .5 and .9 ball joints and Sphoon Del Sphere rear control arms. I did a lot of research and found these two set ups to be one of the best for the money.. Lee for steering box..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 1:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I found 2 3021B bushings in a box of goodies that came with the car. Since poly doesn't break down, I should be good to use it. That is if I could get it to press in the housing. Even putting it in the freezer for days it didn't want to go in. I am using a C clamp

Anyone got a trick to it?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 6:03 PM
Tech Team
Jason

ball joint press cups with threaded rod and washers.
I’d rethink the poly mine shattered in about 3,000 miles. I switched to spherical bearings at all 4 points. Man what a difference. Some say they have a louder road noise but I say their exhaust isn’t loud enough 🙂 spherical or rubber is the only way to go.

Last edited by Jasons 69 Chevelle; Jul 13th, 19 at 6:19 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Apparently spherical bushings don't come wide enough for the Moser ears.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:22 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Not much you can do then. Rubber would be your best choice then. Unless you cut the ears down to the thickness needed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Apparently spherical bushings don't come wide enough for the Moser ears.
Global West Suspension makes a set specially for the Moser rears. PN: SP-47M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in