Richmond 5 speed - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 5:19 PM Thread Starter

Richmond 5 speed

I have a new Richmond super street 5 speed in my chevelle with about 100miles and when driving it easy trans shifts great but if on it at all 2 and 3rd grind during shift. It has done this since install. I have checked clutch adjust and all is good and have correct oil in the gearbox. It almost seems like a syncho problem. Any ideas would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 6:05 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Richmond 5 speed

First thing I would do is readjust the neutral gate, the rods could be short on 2 and 3. Check this first.

Are you using the recommended fluid? Brass synchros cant take GL5. I ran RedLine 70-90NS in mine, as per their recommendation, but that was an older road race box.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 6:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

~I'll let Paul of 5 Speeds.com explain some of the issues and fixes related to the trans.

There are other issues that can be attributed to bell housing alignment, full clutch release, or pilot bushing being too tight or in a bind due to poor BH alignment.

You really need to go through the process of checking your bell housing for parallel and concentric alignment. Then check for proper bushing or bearing clearance. Being slightly off can affect shifting. It gets worse with higher rpms and your syncros have to work harder to match the speed of the next gear during the shift.
1966_L78 likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 7:27 PM
Team Member
Tom

I have NO issues whatsoever with any of the above comments. BUT, in the late 80s I installed a Richmond Street 5sp behind a 455 Olds engine in my factory 5sp 76 Cutlass (which I special ordered new), using a bone stock alum Olds bell housing. ZERO, I mean, ZERO issues! The transmission has been out ONE TIME, to rebuild the 455, since I installed it in 87-88(?), at which time I installed a new clutch.

When it is cold, the shifting is noticeably notchy. But once it is warmed up, the shifting is fine. Over the past 30+yrs, I have NOT been kind to it. I love it.

71350SS likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I have gone thru all of the shift rods and I did all the necessary alignments for the bellhousing an clutch pivot ball when I installed and I am positive the clutch isn't the problem.I installed richmonds recommended gear oil during install. I am thinking if there were an alignment problem it would grind every gear all of the time not just 2nd and 3rd above 1/4 throttle . I am kind of leaning towards the synchro's not working properly like the video above from 5speeds.com. Any more trouble shooting ideas are welcomed.
427L88 likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 12:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I heard something on the Grapevine about adding a bottle of Ford friction modifier to the oil. This was for a Tremic and netted an improvement in shifting. Might be worth a try before your net oil change. Might actually be BS. If it works, then yippee. If not drain it and send it to Paul.

With the car running and in neutral, count how many seconds it takes after you mash the clutch and are able to put the shifter in reverse without grinding.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

I can shift almost instantly to reverse with no grind. As a matter of fact its never made any noise going into reverse.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 2:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myblue1968 View Post
I can shift almost instantly to reverse with no grind. As a matter of fact its never made any noise going into reverse.
That's a good sign. It tells you your clutch is disengaging properly and you probably don't have an input shaft binding on the input bushing or bearing.

The internet is full of hard shifting Richmonds. Doesn't look like there's all that many successful fixes. The new shifter detents and syncros seem to get some results. The longs shifter is suppose to be better than the Comp plus. I don't know if further breakin will make it better or worse.

Wish I had better news or a miracle fix.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 9:53 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I'd make two phone calls. The first to the Richmond tech engineers. The second would be to Paul Cangiolosi. Better to resolve now than risk damage to a new trans. Prepare to remove that transmission. Something is not right and it will not fix itself.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:29 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
in the late 80s I installed a Richmond Street 5sp behind a 455 Olds engine in my factory 5sp 76 Cutlass

Tom,
What rear ratio do you have ? Your Richmond is 1:1 5th correct ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Well I made the two phone calls and will see if Richmond helps out. The one problem is warrenty ended 4 months ago. I got it 6 months before I could put it in and there warranty starts the day you received it. I did make a call to paul @ 5speed.com and he said sounds like synchro rings . He refereed me to Brian at SK Transmissions in NJ and he said the same thing and that it will only cost me $450 plus shipping. Looks like my $3500 tranny just went up over $ 4 grand [email protected]
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 8:25 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well I understand their policy about warranty issues however to me that is just a crack they can slither out of. As far as I know synchros are supposed to last more than 100 miles. The synchros were either defective or not. What difference does it make if it sits in a box in ones garage for 6 months. I would have been sure to tell the Richmond folks that you will be spreading the word that they fail to back their product.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 10:23 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Tom,
What rear ratio do you have ? Your Richmond is 1:1 5th correct ?

It has the original factory 2.41 posi, which works REAL WELL with the 3.27 1st in the Richmond.
Yes, 5th is 1:1.

On the Interstate by itself, it is just great. But when pulling a trailer, I wish I had a lower rear gear.
I have a 76 2.73 12bolt (YES, that's right, a 76 12bolt) with 2.73 gears that has been out back for 6-7years just waiting for me to build it. Several years ago, one of my sons found a 2-series 12bolt posi unit for $25 at a swap meet. Looking in my Olds parts, it APPEARS that there were only about 3 gears available for this style rear: 3.08, 2.73, 2.56. The axles are huge, I think they are 32 spline. As best as I can determine from the Olds parts books, this rear was only in GM A-body wagons (Curlass, Lemans, etc) and some El Caminos. They were probably more common than many people realize because they have a 10-bolt rear cover with 2 big notches.
Some covers have a filler plug as well as one on the side of the cast iron center section.

These 73-76 12-bolt posi rears are an Eaton unit, but larger than the earlier 65-72 Eaton 12-bolt posi. They also use larger left hand thread bolts for the ring gear.
Freddie Byars (Big Gear Head) says he has never seen one.

By the way, thanks. I put a mid-60s alum Chevy distributor in the Sun dist machine and did all kinds of things with it and talked to Dave Ray. I kind of know how to use one now.
Also, It appears the condenser testing meter does now work in the capacitance testing mode.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 7:06 PM Thread Starter

Well Richmond came thru for me and fixed the 5 speed. On the second time sending it back they found lots o problems with synchro's , second gear worn and some shift fork alignment issues. The only thing that bothers me is the should have found these problems the first time I shipped it back. They were great to work with you just have to be persistent.
blm and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 9:17 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Geez..... I would NEVER had guessed synchros were bum out of the gate. I hope Autogear gets their OD box done soon. Customer service and QC next to none.
Yet, glad to hear Richmond stood behind their sloppy assembly.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in