What would you pay for 4L60 Monster Transmisionn fresh rebuild? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 1:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage
What would you pay for 4L60 Monster Transmisionn fresh rebuild?

I bought a Monster Transmission 4L60 - which failed about 5 miles after install. By "failed", I mean it began to shift erratically and then began to slip. My local mechanic shop could tell me only the "it's something internal". Their local rebuilder quoted - sight unseen - $2K to go through it. Since I did not want to wait a month, or more, and pay shipping to return the transmission to Monster, I bought another one locally and had it installed.

Because it was more than 30 days from the purchase date, Monster will not take it back and issue a refund. They only agreed to fix it and return it to me - at my expense. Since I no longer need it, I would then need to sell it. I'm trying to determine what I could reasonably expect to sell it for. And, whether it's worth the hassle. The retail from Monster is about $1800.

Les

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze

Last edited by Skylarkul; Jun 13th, 19 at 1:49 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 2:07 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Re: What would you pay for 4L60 Monster Transmisionn fresh rebuild?

Unfortunately without a diagnosis it's probably not worth much more than a core charge.
BossHogg69 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Not a nickle. https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/brooksvill...419/complaints

https://monster-transmission.pissedc...om/review.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=mons...w=1280&bih=578

Get your transmissions rebuilt locally. If you have an issue you go back to the shop.

You're probably better off taking the loss and using your Monster core to a local rebuilder.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Well, right now, it's junk (i.e a core.)

How much is your expense to ship to them and get it back?

You would then have a rebuilt by Monster Transmission for the core cost plus the expense.

Then, can you sell it for more than that? If so, you make a profit. If not, you don't.

And as you said, how much hassle for how much profit?

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 3.08
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Les

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Well, right now, it's junk (i.e a core.)

How much is your expense to ship to them and get it back?

You would then have a rebuilt by Monster Transmission for the core cost plus the expense.

Then, can you sell it for more than that? If so, you make a profit. If not, you don't.

And as you said, how much hassle for how much profit?
It's looking like about $600 total for shipping, repairing and return. Not profit. I'm already out the $2K I spent for it originally.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Consider the $2K a sunk cost that is gone (not gonna recover that.) The profit is on the parts you have left.

I just did a quick craigslist crawl, you can pick them up used in this area in the $150-$300 range for "worked when I pulled it" type deals. So, consider that a core cost.

So, say you could get $200 for it. That means $800 is your break even point if you were to ship it back and have it fixed and then try to sell it.

If you think you could sell it for more than $800, you're making some money... Question still is whether or not it is worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarkul View Post
It's looking like about $600 total for shipping, repairing and return. Not profit. I'm already out the $2K I spent for it originally.
chevyefi likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 3.08
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

This kind of thing is what I fear with the TCI streetfighter 700r4 I just put in my '67. Rated for 750HP... We'll see after 90 days behind 625 ft/lb. So far I like it...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 7:10 PM
Team Member
Tom

I WOULD NOT pay anything to anyone for any reason for any kind of automatic transmission.

My preference is to throw all auto trannys in the river.
BillsCamino likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 8:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Open it up and if it has any "special" parts in it save or install them in the trans you have now or put them on a shelf, I'd be pissed

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 8:42 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I WOULD NOT pay anything to anyone for any reason for any kind of automatic transmission.

My preference is to throw all auto trannys in the river.
Can you elaborate, are you just a “stick” guy or what are you saying, nobody builds a good auto transmission?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

An $1,800.00 4L60e transmission will have nothing special in it. Proper and well built automatic transmissions from a performance transmission shop should cost several thousand dollars. Performance automatics are a purchase where you get what you pay for.

And always have your unit built by a shop within driving distance.
shovelrick likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 9:41 PM
Tech Team
Jason

my stock 4l60e started slipping within 1000 miles. Had it rebuilt in Abilene. By national transmission a local guy but he builds them for drag and high hp/tq street vehicles. I had asked around town and glad I did. I looked at the Monster brand and did a lot of reading on forums. It seems to risky to purchase a internet transmission what’s the recourse if you can’t drive to them and “talk” about the poor quality of work.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I build my own automatics and only have had converters fail, B&M, Boss Hogg, TCI and 1 TH350 sprag that broke but I did not let it warm up and the vehicle had sat without an engine for 2 years..That one was my fault.

All GM standard shift 4 speeds I ever stuck an engine in front of Died a terrible death.
I never build a stick shift trans because the guts were all blown up. I had no idea where all those bearings and parts went when i dumped them out of the case.

Just head to the salvage yard and get another 4 speed.

Automatics are not that hard to build. You must pay attention to wear marks and patterns and know where each part goes.

Get some books or videos and learn to build your own.
I used to pay $12 for TH350 cores.
Recently got two 2004R's for 100 each with extra boxes of parts and included many valve bodies.

Cores now days are high.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 11:07 PM
Tech Team

you say it was shifting erratically and then slipping,in 5 miles i don't see frying any clutches.more then likely its electrical in nature.could be something as simple as a shift solenoid or the internal wiring harness,or bad connection at the pass thru.pull the pan and see if there is any crap in the pan.5 miles it should be spotless
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 12:56 AM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
Can you elaborate, are you just a “stick” guy or what are you saying, nobody builds a good auto transmission?

I'm an old time, old school, old muscle car 4sp person. I like to DRIVE MY cars------------------I'm NOT a cruiser. Furthermore, I prefer the total control of a manual transmission-------------------it changes gears when I WANT it to change, NOT when it thinks the time or moment is right for a gear change. And there are other features of a manual tranny over an auto tranny. For example, you can push start a car with a manual tranny, you can't do that with an auto tranny car. If you are trying to line up a timing mark on the harmonic balancer at an exact spot, you can put a manual tranny in 4th gear (or 5th, etc) and gently rock the car (forward or backward) to move the crankshaft for lining up a timing mark. It is virtually impossible to do this with an auto tranny (must use the starter to bump the engine---------------WHICH CANNOT BE DONE WITHOUT ELECTRICAL POWER, and invariably it bumps too far). No need for routing and plumbing cooling lines for transmission fluid, and invariably having tranny fluid pour down your neck! NOPE, as far as Tom Parsons is concerned, auto trannys should be illegal. I hate 'um!!!!!!!!!!
SSJohn and 91c1500sleeper like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in