LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 2:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: McLeod Muscle 5 speed install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder396 View Post
Wow, what a difference parallel makes. Iím within 2 thou on parallel.

Concentric turned out like this

6= .000

3= .006

12= .011

9= .005

I see what Jody was talking about with reciprocity now. North south = .011 and east west = .011. So half of .011 is .0055. Would I order .007 offset now? Thanks.
Yes, that's the smallest offset I've seen made. You're so close either your 3 or 9 should be a negative number. Did you forget the neg sign??

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Jun 23rd, 19 at 3:07 AM. Reason: dyslexia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 4:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Forget about the negative number comment. It won't show up until the 12 and 6 are within spec.
post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 9:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Forget about the negative number comment. It won't show up until the 12 and 6 are within spec.
Thanks DUTCH. I’m learning this as I go. I was on my back for 4 hours and can’t even remember how many times I took the bell housing on and off. Appreciate the help.

post #79 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Yeah, I know what you mean. My neck hurt for days after I got mine dialed in. I don't know exactly how many hours I was under mine with my son turning the crankshaft for me, but for the average person it can be a real pain. I'm sure that people like Jody and Paul can get this done pretty quick because they've done it many times, but I'm slow and it can be confusing tying to figure it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
He has a 402 with a mild hyd roller cam. It should be happy at 1800 rpm cruising.

I have two magazine articles that say different. The LS1 T56 is not near as big as the magnum. And there are places on the forward case (ears) that should be sawed off for clearance.

I will report back but expect to be cutting around the shifter - and that's all.
Mine (67) isnt cut, only for the shifter. For the guy who said it wont fit his console get an offset handle
I Cut one ear that isnt used (DS front) and had to gently massage a spot nearby that was it. ...it is tight though if one wanted to raise the tunnel some its worth it when you have to pull the trans as getting to the top torx bolts are a nightmare and half..DS angle is right where its supposed to be too.

Not sure how soem think cutting and raising their tunnel would somehow ruin their cars value noone cares about that its not noticebale. Fact it has 6 gears period is the appeal but a 5 spd is enough. If this trans with a slightly lower 1st was out back then Id have bought it. T56 is a big heavy piece

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 19, 8:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Wow, what a difference parallel makes. Iím within 2 thou on parallel.

Concentric turned out like this

6= .000

3= .006

12= .011

9= .005

I see what Jody was talking about with reciprocity now. North south = .011 and east west = .011. So half of .011 is .0055. Would I order .007 offset now? Thanks.
I can see you have a perfect flat round circle and your bellhousing is parallel to the crankshaft hub, great job!

Are your numbers all + on your concentric reading?

If I was doing this concentric mis-alignment setup, here would be my plan of action; I would only remove the right straight dowel pin and only use the .007" offset dowel on the right then recheck my concentric numbers before installing both .007" offset dowels.
Jeff65SS likes this.

Jody Haag

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 6:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Success ladies and gentleman!!!! First I would like to thank everyone on the forum for all their helpful information. It made a tedious and frustrating task a bit easier.

I will say as far as labor is concerned, this is honestly the toughest project I’ve ever taken on by myself. Namely parallelism. Especially considering that I did this all on my back. Ouch. I got it within a thou and a half, but that kicked my rear into tenders.

It also helps if your dial indicator is not broken. That was a big letdown when I found it out. I couldn’t get the numbers to ever repeat and it cost me an entire weekend. The weekend before last to be exact. I have worked on it every weekend for the entire weekend since I started this thread. I was able to get concentric within 2 1/2 thou. That wasn’t as tough to dial in but getting the dowel pins out with the engine in the car was torture. I will be finding parallel and concentric on every motor I have in the future BEFORE it goes into the car regardless of what transmission is going in it. Lesson learned. Passenger side pounded out with a 2’x3/8” rod with a hammer with the starter removed. Came out in 30 minutes. The driver side took a full day working on it with some vise grips and penetrating fluid. That sucked, but it’s done.

I just drove it today and I will say it’s great to have it done. I was only able to take up to 4th since I only it drove around my neighborhood. It has started to rain heavy on the west cost of Florida and I don’t want to take a test drive in a torrential downpour. I was also thrilled to finally get rid of my clutch chatter. It was bad before. Smooth and easy now.

It goes through the gears just a bit clunky but the instructions say to give about a 100 miles to break that in. First gear has no problem getting the car moving from a stop. Also, reverse is definitely a double clutch or a 1st-gear initially operation. I will be taking it on a longer ride tomorrow to see how it does at cruising speed. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks fellas.
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

That's great news. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it and take pride in doing it yourself.
post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
That's great news. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it and take pride in doing it yourself.
There really is not anything much better than the feeling of accomplishment after "doing it yourself". I don't drive the car as much as I used to but the urge to do a project myself is as strong as ever. Sometimes after a project is done, be it on the car or in my house, I find myself eyeballing the result for no other reason than to recall the effort that produced the final product.

Sitting in my kitchen right now, a kitchen I remodeled from ceiling to floor (including new hardwood) and moving a wall. Electrical, tile backsplash, cabinets install...I did all of it. Same goes for work on the car...walk out to the garage with a drink and just look it over after a recently completed mod.

Congrats to the OP on a job well done.
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:13 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Success ladies and gentleman!!!! First I would like to thank everyone on the forum for all their helpful information. It made a tedious and frustrating task a bit easier.

I will say as far as labor is concerned, this is honestly the toughest project Iíve ever taken on by myself. Namely parallelism. Especially considering that I did this all on my back. Ouch. I got it within a thou and a half, but that kicked my rear into tenders.

It also helps if your dial indicator is not broken. That was a big letdown when I found it out. I couldnít get the numbers to ever repeat and it cost me an entire weekend. The weekend before last to be exact. I have worked on it every weekend for the entire weekend since I started this thread. I was able to get concentric within 2 1/2 thou. That wasnít as tough to dial in but getting the dowel pins out with the engine in the car was torture. I will be finding parallel and concentric on every motor I have in the future BEFORE it goes into the car regardless of what transmission is going in it. Lesson learned. Passenger side pounded out with a 2íx3/8Ē rod with a hammer with the starter removed. Came out in 30 minutes. The driver side took a full day working on it with some vise grips and penetrating fluid. That sucked, but itís done.

I just drove it today and I will say itís great to have it done. I was only able to take up to 4th since I only it drove around my neighborhood. It has started to rain heavy on the west cost of Florida and I donít want to take a test drive in a torrential downpour. I was also thrilled to finally get rid of my clutch chatter. It was bad before. Smooth and easy now.

It goes through the gears just a bit clunky but the instructions say to give about a 100 miles to break that in. First gear has no problem getting the car moving from a stop. Also, reverse is definitely a double clutch or a 1st-gear initially operation. I will be taking it on a longer ride tomorrow to see how it does at cruising speed. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks fellas.

Awesome to hear and I know the feeling!
I still need to finish building the floor in my car but I am waiting until I have it broken in and the fluid changed.
I have about 400 miles on it, easy and some spirited driving and it is awesome! Did you have enough time to warm the transmission up? That gets rid of my notchiness in my car although it is a magnum and not the mcleod 5 speed.
Glad to hear it is going!
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old Today, 3:52 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
The trans is still mount in the car and I wonít be able to get to it till later in the week. So I couldnít tell you for sure. Here is one of the pics I took that you can barely make out some numbers scribed on the front of the counter shaft. That might also be a good question for McLeodís technical staff. Iíll let you know what it is when I get to it. I have to believe this is based on the WC T5. Thanks.
Same as a T5 LM67010BCE and LM67048 cone

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi

( Facebook Support )

( Youtube Videos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in