post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: McLeod Muscle 5 speed install.

Havent read the thread does anyone have

A link for this trans?

Gear ratios inside? Options?

Are you usnig mech or hyd throwout?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

A link for this trans?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mcle...&client=safari

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 5:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

A link for this trans?

It’s available through Summit, Jegs, eBay, and even Amazon.

1st-2.95, 2nd-1.99, 3rd-1.34, 4th-1.00, 5th-.63.

Available in 2 configurations. GM and Ford. No options when you order it but McLeod will make an offset shifter stem for your application, but you have to provide dimensions. You have to call them direct to order.

Stock mechanical throw out bearing and clutch fork setup.

Fit my car perfect since it’s a center console car.

Thanks.

post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder396 View Post
Blm,

So I made 12:00 zero and ran the entire rotation twice. The pics below show them at 12, 9, 6, and 3 o’clock.

12 is zero
3 is -.012
6 is -.023
9 is -.013

All the measurements other than zero show negative. I just want to make sure I’m doing this right and not spending time trying to make a bell housing work that’s use no good. Thanks
When a bellhousing is properly dialed in with the parallel alignment, you will achieve reciprocity with your concentric dial indicator reading. When the bellhousing retainer hole is flat and parallel to the crankshaft hub, the 12:00 to 6:00 dimension will equal the 9:00 to 3:00 dimension, hence reciprocity. Since you do not have reciprocity in your concentric reading, you are reading an oval. With your 9:00 to 3:00 dimension greater than your !2:00 to 6:00 dimension, you have an oval hole; your bellhousing top or bottom must be shimmed out to correct your parallel mis-alignment.

So you guys can easily visualize what reciprocity of a circle is; take any round circle and tilt it on a 45* degree angle and while looking through the hole, that round circle will now be an oval hole. With 1000s of bellhousing alignments through the years, I can tell by the concentric reading if a bellhousing is out of parallel alignment by the reciprocity of the hole reading.

Jody Haag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 8:41 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Jody,
Thanks for that explanation that makes perfect sense. He said the parallel was only .003. The limit is .002. Strange that .001 excess could cause that much effect. Guess that is why the tolerance is so low.
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

If you buy offset dowels get the ones from Robb Mc. very easy to install and position.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 3:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Jody,
Thanks for that explanation that makes perfect sense. He said the parallel was only .003. The limit is .002. Strange that .001 excess could cause that much effect. Guess that is why the tolerance is so low.
The industry standard "parallel alignment +/-.001" or .002" TIR" spec tolerance is low as most input shafts stick out 6"-7" from the maincase and this magnifies the mis-alignment total.

If I do the parallel bellhousing mis-alignment task, there is a big difference when a bellhousing has .003" TIR vs .0005" TIR and shifting at the 7500-8000rpm mark. If you only shift at 4500rpm, it is just that much smoother being only 1/2 thousands off!

Another bellhousing alignment tip I'll share; dependent on the application and bellhousing mis-alignment, I may use a .007" offset dowel with a .014" offset dowel combo or maybe a .007" and .021" combination offset dowels. Do not always think you must use the same size offset dowel pins to correct the bellhousing concentric mis-alignment.
big gear head likes this.

Jody Haag

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 3:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yeah ,I need to work a little more getting parallelism correct before I go forward with concentric. I’ve already ordered them from Grainger to do this weekend. Round two.
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 4:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodysTransmissions View Post
Quote:
Blm,

So I made 12:00 zero and ran the entire rotation twice. The pics below show them at 12, 9, 6, and 3 o’clock.

12 is zero
3 is -.012
6 is -.023
9 is -.013

All the measurements other than zero show negative. I just want to make sure I’m doing this right and not spending time trying to make a bell housing work that’s use no good. Thanks
When a bellhousing is properly dialed in with the parallel alignment, you will achieve reciprocity with your concentric dial indicator reading. When the bellhousing retainer hole is flat and parallel to the crankshaft hub, the 12:00 to 6:00 dimension will equal the 9:00 to 3:00 dimension, hence reciprocity. Since you do not have reciprocity in your concentric reading, you are reading an oval. With your 9:00 to 3:00 dimension greater than your !2:00 to 6:00 dimension, you have an oval hole; your bellhousing top or bottom must be shimmed out to correct your parallel mis-alignment.

So you guys can easily visualize what reciprocity of a circle is; take any round circle and tilt it on a 45* degree angle and while looking through the hole, that round circle will now be an oval hole. With 1000s of bellhousing alignments through the years, I can tell by the concentric reading if a bellhousing is out of parallel alignment by the reciprocity of the hole reading.
That makes a lot of sense now. If it’s not parallel, the bearing retainer hole will kind of drift in and out on the dial indicator relative to the crankshaft/flywheel. Effectively turning a round hole into an ellipse. Thanks Jody, I gonna do it over again.
JodysTransmissions likes this.
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 1:08 PM
Tech Team
Paul

Its based on the Motorsport t5 gearset, same center to center distance. It a recased T5 world class transmission. The added strength is from an extended cluster shaft to add a center support bearing.

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi

( Facebook Support )

( Youtube Videos)
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 4:51 PM
Jon

Quote:
Here are the pics of the Muncie and The McLeod side by side for comparison. The input shaft on the McLeod is about a 16th shorter than the Muncie. Will I need to use a longer pilot gearing for that difference?

The shifters line up nearly perfect. The trans mounts are off quite a bit, by around 2”. But the plate on the McLeod has 1 1/4” slots to bolt the mount to. You can barely see the Muncie trans mount it the pic of the trannys from the driver side is of them. Thanks

I am scratching my head about the shifter itself on the McLeod not have splines line the typical Hurst shifters. Will I have to get a new handle for it? Thanks.
Good Information, thanks.

NOW, not to hi jack this thread but I have been looking at this same setup for a 65 A body. As you all know the earlier A bodies offset the shifter to the driver side with a hump added to the floor/tunnel. I have contacted McLeod but they only make an offset shifter set up from customer specs for about $300. The reason I was looking at this setup is to avoid modifications to the floor / tunnel like a TKO requires. In order to do this one would have to purchase the trans, install it in the car with crossmember mods etc, and then measure to the new location and supply them with the new numbers. They state that they can only move it so far right or left or forward and back. NOW for the big question. Have any of you ever done this and did it work without modifications to the floor? If so do you have the numbers that were required to get the stick to come up in the correct location? thanks in advance for any information.
1967convert likes this.
post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 6:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I'm going to assume the T5/Mcleod 5 speed are very similar to the center position of the T56, which I'm familiar with. I needed my shifter over at the left side location and moved forward also to clear my bench seat (no console). Height was a concern so I was forced to saw the oem T56 shifter low and bored a flat iron plate with a 3/4" hole to fit snugly over what was left of the shifter stub, which only extended up maybe 3/4" above the seal plate. Now I welded a shifter arm adapter to that plate where I wanted it, maybe 2.5" to the left and 2" forward. All's well with this but getting a good plug weld on that stub isn't exactly easy. Failed the first attempt and the shifter broke off in my hand with spirited shifting. I came up with a fix....drill/tap a 3/8" hole down the stub and run a grade 8 bolt down there. Now I just welded the adapter plate to that bolt and installed. After I was happy with the position, I drilled a 1/8" hole down along side that bolt and sunk a roll pin. This way that bolt can't back out. If I ever have to remove it, I'll have to drill that roll pin out and just twist the shifter back out.
This was all necessary because I couldn't find an offset shifter shallow enough to fit and look like oem from the topside. Besides, the cheapest shifter I could find was $300.
Keep in mind, the more you offset, the more the shifter will "rock" and that can interfere with your boot or the bottom of the console. That's probably why McLeod limits the offset.
19ss69 likes this.
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 7:15 PM
Jon

Thanks, the numbers McLeod gave me are:

The offsets range from 0” offset to up to 3” left or right in 1” increments. And 0” to 3.1” forward or backwards in ˝” increments.

So if that put your shifter in the correct spot it looks like it is achievable from McLeod.
Thanks again.
post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 19, 2:27 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

As long as we are talking Mcleod, I cant help but telling my tale. Last winter I installed a brand new transmission. It is a Legend. I used a Mcleod flywheel,clutch and pressure plate. Both the flywheel and the pressure plate were defective. The flywheel could not be installed and the pressure plate broke first time I depressed the clutch.
I had to send both items back to Mcleod for repair of the flywheel and replacement of the pressure plate. Both times I experienced extended delays in getting those issues resolved and spent hours on the phone. It took 5 weeks to get the flywheel issue resolved (poor machining) and in the mean time this held up a major project I was doing. At one point I got in touch with the person that handles these issues at Mcleod (after several unanswered voice mails) and she reported to me that it has been in her possession for a week but she hasn't even opened the package. No apology just excuses. I received no apology for the delay however after I sent an email to someone high enough up the chain they tripped over themselves saying how poorly they handled things.
Move on to second issue with the pressure plate exchange. With the help of Jody I was able to send the defective pressure plate back to Mcleod. This time it only took a month to exchange but they did nothing till I tracked down who I assume was the same woman who handled the first issue. Even at that after agreeing go exchange it under warranty she tried to charge me $300.00 for the new pressure plate.
So if one is considering buying a transmission from Mcleod and you have any issues I am assuming the way my 2 issues were handled is standard procedure. Also there is the quality control thing. If two out of three items are defective that speaks poorly for their quality control. I know I probably will not choose Mcleod next time. Just my 2 cents.
71350SS likes this.
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wow, what a difference parallel makes. I’m within 2 thou on parallel.

Concentric turned out like this

6= .000

3= .006

12= .011

9= .005

I see what Jody was talking about with reciprocity now. North south = .011 and east west = .011. So half of .011 is .0055. Would I order .007 offset now? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in