McLeod Muscle 5 speed install. - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

33Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 11th, 19, 8:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: McLeod Muscle 5 speed install.

Actually, the 3.31's with .63 OD will be miserable/unusable unless your flying on the highway (like over ~75).

3.31 x .63 = 2.08 effective final drive ratio. Tall tires will make it even tougher. A gear change will make things MUCH better.
71454Chevelle and GuysMonteSS like this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
***In progress...04 Mustang, 454, TKO***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 12:03 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Chev View Post
Yes looks like a almost perfect combo. Way easier on the engine on the Interstate and the mileage should be better also. Keep the installation pics and info coming. Thinking about doing this with my 66 Chevelle that currently has a M20 in it with 3.73. gears.
The LS1 T56 from 98-02 Camaros is also a great trans for Chevelles. It's what I'm installing. The Magnum T56 is a bit larger and requires cutting.

My 6th gear is .5 - so my rpm's with 3.73 gears will be about the same as yours.
I've seen magazine articles where they didn't have to cut the floor for this trans - only the shifter opening.
Some on here dispute that. I will keep you posted as I'm installing mine this year.
Yeahhh you'll be doing some floor chopping for that t56 in a chevelle.
Pete 67 and Tarheel Chevelle like this.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 1:03 AM
Tech Team
Richard

Hmm, My .02Ę.
I was going to use 4.27 gears with my .78 GV OD and 27" tires but after speaking with other users went with 3.92 instead.
High PM cam and still not going to be idling down the freeway but should be livable.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 3:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Actually, the 3.31's with .63 OD will be miserable/unusable unless your flying on the highway (like over ~75).

3.31 x .63 = 2.08 effective final drive ratio. Tall tires will make it even tougher. A gear change will make things MUCH better.
He has a 402 with a mild hyd roller cam. It should be happy at 1800 rpm cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post
I have two magazine articles that say different. The LS1 T56 is not near as big as the magnum. And there are places on the forward case (ears) that should be sawed off for clearance.

I will report back but expect to be cutting around the shifter - and that's all.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 9:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
He has a 402 with a mild hyd roller cam. It should be happy at 1800 rpm cruising.

I have two magazine articles that say different. The LS1 T56 is not near as big as the magnum. And there are places on the forward case (ears) that should be sawed off for clearance.

I will report back but expect to be cutting around the shifter - and that's all.

What was your experience with this setup? My personal experience was miserable with a 3.31 and a .64 transmission behind a 454.

Ps. Youíll be cutting the sh!t out of the floor with a t56. I have personal experience with that also.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
***In progress...04 Mustang, 454, TKO***
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 4:03 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
What was your experience with this setup? My personal experience was miserable with a 3.31 and a .64 transmission behind a 454.

Ps. Youíll be cutting the sh!t out of the floor with a t56. I have personal experience with that also.
Quote:

Yeah, they aren't much smaller around where they hit your tunnel. The shifter is bigger on the magnum though. You're going to be cutting. Magazines generally are just brochures to sell things.
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd View Post

I already made the decision to change the rear end gear if I need to because of the steep overdrive. I’m fine with it. Heck the 2019 ZR1 with manual comes with a 3.42 gear and a .68 and .45 6th and 7th overdrive gear. But if it isn’t what I expected when I get a chance to drive it, I won’t be too burned on changing the final gear ratio. Probably something like a 3.55 but no more than a 3.90. I’ll keep the info coming. I just don’t have much time to work on it during the week. I’ve got the shims here for parallel to do this weekend and then I’ll get the offset dowel pins to do sometime next weekend. I’m excited but trying to be thorough. Thanks for the help guys!
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 5:51 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfherder396 View Post
I . Iíve got the shims here for parallel to do this weekend and then Iíll get the offset dowel pins to do sometime next weekend.!
I think I would wait till after both checks are done to buy any shims or offset dowels. I have done both tests to three different engines. All three passed the parallel test and one of the three passed the concentric test. Also with the concentric one must know how far out the bell housing is as the dowels are sold in different degrees of offset. The one engine I had to get the offset dowels. I needed .007 offsets but one could need .014 or even .021. Won't know what you need till you do the tests.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

Unless you use a porta-power to severely (& I do mean severely) stretch the tunnel, you'll be cutting a lot more than just the shifter area. BTDT.

I'm not actually sure you could stretch the tunnel as much as you needed to. Just trying to make it clear it's not going to fit without a cut off wheel.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 7:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I think I would wait till after both checks are done to buy any shims or offset dowels. I have done both tests to three different engines. All three passed the parallel test and one of the three passed the concentric test. Also with the concentric one must know how far out the bell housing is as the dowels are sold in different degrees of offset. The one engine I had to get the offset dowels. I needed .007 offsets but one could need .014 or even .021. Won't know what you need till you do the tests.
blm,
I guess I didn’t make it sound right when I wrote this, but my plan is to find parallel this weekend with the shims I got today. Then immediately find out how far off my concentric is, and then order the offset dowel pins during next week to dial in the concentric that following weekend. Those offsets are a little pricey, and I am trying to keep cost down. Hope this makes more sense now. Thanks!
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 9:10 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Cool Re: McLeod Muscle 5 speed install.

One other thing I should mention. Sounds like your engine is inztalled. I had quite a time removing the dowels on my original 396. You may want to skim over this thread if you have to develop a plan to remove dowels while the engine is installed.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...n-removal.html
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 12th, 19, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:

How much cam was in your 454 ?

I'll let you know about the floorpan. I'll take pics. Maybe by late summer.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 13th, 19, 6:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
One other thing I should mention. Sounds like your engine is inztalled. I had quite a time removing the dowels on my original 396. You may want to skim over this thread if you have to develop a plan to remove dowels while the engine is installed.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...n-removal.html
BLM, thanks for the link. Yes the engine is in the car. I have been racking my brain on the amount of hassle this is going to be with the factory dowel pin removal. Another forum for Corvettes or maybe Camaros had a user come up with something called a Jack bolt. This sounds like the same thing. In the end, it is what it is. Thank you.
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 13th, 19, 7:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I went though this about a month ago in my Camaro. Dialing in the bell housing with the engine in the car is a real pain. I made my offset dowels and I cut a hex on the end so that I could use a socket with extensions to turn the dowels. It was easier, but still a pain. The Robmc dowels shouldn't be too hard to deal with since you can loosen them in the hole and turn them.
Jeff65SS and Tarheel Chevelle like this.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Unread Jun 13th, 19, 9:44 PM
Tech Team

It's been almost 12 years, but I made a piece of 1/2" Keystock, 30 inches long and ground round on the end and heated/bent to about 22 degrees for driving out the dowels with the engine in the car. Even with 2 " primary tube Hedman Headers it worked pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in