Help me determine trans. cooler fitting. - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dean

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Help me determine trans. cooler fitting.

I managed to twist one of the cooler line fittings in half on my transmission and cant figure out what size it is.

TH-350. Not original to my car so Im not certain what year it was manufactured or what it was first installed in. It does have the standard Chevrolet bellhousing. The cooler lines themselves are 5/16 with flare fittings.

The fittings have straight threads and 18 threads per inch with a flat sealing washer that mates against the case. The threaded portion looks to be about 1/2 in diameter, but a 1/2 wrench will not fit over the threads. A 9/16 wrench just rattles around on it.

If I can identify the threads that go into the transmission case I will likely just replace these fittings with a -6 AN adapter and graft new -6 lines onto my 5/16 cooler lines.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7CB6440F-FB1E-430A-8808-098991A0ECC0.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	594316  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 12:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Help me determine trans. cooler fitting.

1/4 inch nps-18 threads per inch to inverted flare female Is what you broke. 1/4 inch male to 6an male if you want to go to an fittings.

Summit has a bunch of different brands available. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...6erl?rrec=true

Yours has the metal crush washer. So stick with that type over the o ring type usually found on the Turbo 400 trans.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 19, 1:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
1/4 inch nps-18 threads per inch to inverted flare female Is what you broke. 1/4 inch male to 6an male if you want to go to an fittings.

Summit has a bunch of different brands available. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...6erl?rrec=true

Yours has the metal crush washer. So stick with that type over the o ring type usually found on the Turbo 400 trans.
Thank you. I had to resort to Amazon, as I want to get it back together and Summit wont ship until the 28th.

On a related note, Ive never been able to figure out thread sizes past the standard USS and SAE. Those make sense. But how is it that a 1/4 NPT or NPS fitting is slightly larger that 1/2 in diameter? I can only guess they are talking about threaded pipe with an inside diameter of 1/4?

Those and tubing fitting sizes make my head spin.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

I have plenty of used stock fittings if you still need one....cost of postage only charge

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveshaft-texas View Post
I have plenty of used stock fittings if you still need one....cost of postage only charge
Thank you for your offer. I ended up buying some fittings to adapt -6AN hoses to the case. I honestly dont think this TH350 is going to last very long and it dawned on me that 1) lining up and tightening the stock inverted flare fittings is a nuisance, and 2) once I have the AN fittings on my stock lines I can easily make hoses to fit whatever transmission I may replace it with and not have to wrestle the hard lines into submission.

Tom.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Thank you. I had to resort to Amazon, as I want to get it back together and Summit wont ship until the 28th.

On a related note, Ive never been able to figure out thread sizes past the standard USS and SAE. Those make sense. But how is it that a 1/4 NPT or NPS fitting is slightly larger that 1/2 in diameter? I can only guess they are talking about threaded pipe with an inside diameter of 1/4?

Those and tubing fitting sizes make my head spin.
Yes, national pipe size names are ID but the sizes called are nominal because through the years better metal allowed for thinner walled pipe but taps and dies were already set for the pipe OD so now pipe does not measure either ID or OD what it's called.

Straight pipe threads are used on some things such as electrical fixtures and fittings and like the above pictured fittings that use gaskets rather than tapered threads to make the seal.

One thing that makes it more confusing is that some fittings with straight threads are almost the same size as NPT sizes are are hard to tell apart.

Tubing makes sense because it's measured by the O D
any4xx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Yes, national pipe size names are ID but the sizes called are nominal because through the years better metal allowed for thinner walled pipe but taps and dies were already set for the pipe OD so now pipe does not measure either ID or OD what it's called.

Straight pipe threads are used on some things such as electrical fixtures and fittings and like the above pictured fittings that use gaskets rather than tapered threads to make the seal.

One thing that makes it more confusing is that some fittings with straight threads are almost the same size as NPT sizes are are hard to tell apart.

Tubing makes sense because it's measured by the O D

Tubing DOES make sense until you need flare fittings for it. It seems that those fittings are measured just like nuts & bolts. So I have some 1/2 inverted flare fittings coming to fit where my 5/16 tubing goes.

Ugh....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:32 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The hole in inverted flare fittings is the clue, they fit the tubing snug.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The hole in inverted flare fittings is the clue, they fit the tubing snug.
Yeah, but for this job I needed an adapter fitting to go into my radiator so I could add an auxiliary cooler off of that port. So no 5/16 line. Just the fitting. Good news is that Im just smart enough to know what I dont know and Team Chevelle can usually get me a quick answer!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 10:39 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in