Which converter? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

2Likes
  • 2 Post By shovelrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 8:50 AM Thread Starter

Which converter?

Ok guys toasted the trans in the car. It's a turbo 400 I put in behind a zz502. Not real surprising being I new nothing about the trans or its condition.
Quick overview. 71 chevelle with a box stock zz502. Will possibly be getting a little nitrous in the future but will mostly live on the street with some ocational 1/4 mile runs.
Depending on money might do a reverse valve body and trans break.
I am very mechanically inclined and have been building motors and cars amongst other stuff since I was a wee little guy.
One thing I have never touched was a trans besides installing and uninstalling.

Is this something I should try to do myself or go my normal route and take it to a reputable shop that knows performance transmissions?
Ok questions.
What kind of tricks are there to building performance trans besides upgraded kits with better clutches and shift enhancements?
Which converter and what stall?
Any good rebuild kits recomended?

I totally understand if no one wants to share build info and will take no offense to it but I could use some guidance on the converter. This it's my first bb car and have never spec a trans for one.
Thanks for any help.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 9:16 AM
Tech Team

Re: Which converter?

I would go with the TCI Super Street Fighter Transmission and one of their Torque Converters if you are going to replace it.

https://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/TCI-Super...57655/10002/-1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 9:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I would get a quote from a local reputable trans shop first, local warranty beats pulling it yourself and paying shipping if there's a problem, depending on cam the conv. ? lot of guys like a 3,000 stall, I have a freakshow 3,200 with a 282HO hft cam in a 454 and it seems ok, does make it fun when you hit the gas but I haven't driven above 50 mph since it's not really finished yet
Steve R and LeoP like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

being a mechanical guy , you might enjoy the puzzle aspect of an auto trans rebuild. Plenty of info out there, buy an ATSG book or a factory GM service manual to get general specs/clearances . And plenty of aftermarket "better" parts -maybe so ,maybe not- spend all you want but a stock unit was very durable. Only special tools needed might be a 3/8 12 point thin wall socket and bushing drivers as needed, 400s not to hard on bushings tho. Being able to really clean parts and a clean place to work I think is the most important part . Good luck ....and plenty of help here if you need it

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 1:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.
It's funny I searched the forum for the converter question and not much pulled up.
But when I searched with Google a bunch of threads pulled up from this site. Must not be hitting the right combo of words I guess.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 19, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Short History of my story on Torque Converters I had Installed in my BBC Chevelle

2006 had a BBC installed into my Car with a unknown TH400 with a Stock TC

2008 had a 3,500 Stall TC installed in the TH400 that was way to loose and it would Slip going down the Hwy

2009 changed out the 3,500 Stall TC which had burnt up my TH400, had the TH 400 Rebuilt with a Shift Kit and
a new TCI 11" Breakaway # 240901 with 2,400 - 2,600 Stall TC installed
Dual Bolt Pattern / Non Lock-up / 168-Tooth / with Front Anti-Balloning Plate

Drove it on the Street/Hwy/Track for 9+ years, late last year the TH400 developed a Slow/Lag in the Shift from 2nd to 3rd,
the 1st to 2nd was okay quick/hard as it should be

So took it out to my Trany Guy last week to see if he could just Adjust the 2nd to 3rd Shift to be more quick/hard
well as you can guess it was not adjustable as it would not stay adjusted as should be
now the Trany is out and being Rebuilt with a Manual VB and a New 9.5" Race/Street 3,500 - 6500 Stall TC
url=http://dynamicconverters.com/converters.htm#11%22%20Race%20Converters]Dynamic Converters / Pro-Formance Transmissions[/url]
I sent a bunch of Spec Info to my Trany Guy and the TC Guy
this is a must if you want to get a Torque Converter Built for how you are going to use it & based on detailed Spec Info

If you want a copy of the Doc just PM me with your Email and I will send to you

I am waiting now to have the Trany Shop Rebuild the TH400 plus they will get the new TC soon, I hope

After I get the old girl back and have done some Street/Hwy/ Track time in I will do a Thread on it

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 4:53 PM Thread Starter

Anyone use PTC racing converters ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in