• 1 Post By Volks
  • 1 Post By RHinkel764

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

72 Chevelle manual transmission hump

I have a 1972 Chevelle SS clone

I am converting from automatic to 4 speed

My question is this:

Does anyone know the dimensions from front to back on mounting the manual trans hump

Does any one have experience in this

I know I can set the trans in the car with the shifter and measure where the hump will go

Unfortunately I am not at this stage

Chevy must of had a standard for welding these humps in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_170613 (2).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	593896  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 5:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: 72 Chevelle manual transmission hump

The hole in the floor was cut with a Blue Wrench. A template was laid on the floor and then you light the blue wrench. I have a piece of floor from a 70 that had a 4 speed " Bench seat " hump.
If I can help , Let me know. Console cars had a different hump, I believe?
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 6:39 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage

Agree they weren't done from the factory cleanly. The reproduction hump that is available actually fits the floor pretty well. Just lay it on the floor in its position, trace the outside and then cut your hole leaving enough material to attach it to.

Don
Saltherring likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 8:08 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Yes there are two different humps depending if one wants to have a console or non console. Once you acquire the transmission you can pretty much calculate where the hole for the hump needs to be via a tape measure.
I helped a friend do a conversion on a Nova and IIRC we just waited till the trans was installed, without the shifter attached. Then from the bottom drilled a couple holes in the trans tunnel that were centered over the shifter mount area on the trans. Then just went on top and set the hump over the drilled holes and drew a line around the hump with a magic marker. Finally cutting out the hole for the hump just making sure to stay within the magic marker line on the trans tunnel.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Rob

I completed my conversion a few months back. I posted a long thread of thank youís and pics of the project including the hump. If I had to do it again, I would cut the hole as recommended above. Just lay the new hump on your floor. Itíll only fit in one area, trace it and cut it out an inch or two smaller than the outside diameter so you can attach the hump to the floor. I cut the hole wanting to keep the original piece just in case. So I drilled a hole big enough to get a skill saw blade in, then I cut using a metal cutting blade. I had it out in minutes and the cut was perfect. You should see the factory cuts.... Frankenstein-ish.

I attached using rivets as Iím not a skilled welder and it held great. Things I would do different would be Iíd instal the trans then place the hump and secure it after lowering the trans slightly. I was off center slightly. Also for a nicer finish, I would get a heavy body hammer and a dolly and beat the two edges close to one another so I wouldnít have to use so much seam sealer. Last if you have a console, you can now figure out where to place the rear mount once this is all in by dry fitting the console. Hereís the link for my progress:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...-complete.html
Saltherring likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Remember the part about the console, as it is important in determining which of two different humps you should select. When I did a changeover to a '65 Malibu many years ago I simple set the hump over the existing floor, chalk marked the floor around the hump, moved in about 1" for welding material, marked/cut the floor out. I then drilled a whole bunch of holes in the hump, lightly dressed the 1" perimeter around the hole in the floor and plug welded the hump to the floor. I then dressed the welds and used sealer around the perimeter of the hump.

When placing the hump, it will normally be self-explanatory where it should go, as it should all but 'fit' itself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

When I converted mine, I cut a rough hole just to install/locate the shifter. There’s lots of room after it’s installed to make the final cuts. And install the hump. I plug welded mine in place.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...)
'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 2:06 PM
Tech Team
Ben

The aftermarket stamped hump piece has a definite spot where itís happiest. But, what trans do you have now and whatís going in? I had a PG and swapped to a muncie, which happens to be the same length. Installed the shifter on the muncie, measured from bellhousing back to shifter, then measured the PG in the car and made a mark. I also put tape on the garage floor about where that was, then laid the hump panel in the car and stood back to look and see. It lined up perfect this way.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in