Driveline vibration - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
gary

Driveline vibration

I had a thread two years ago about a driveshaft vibration. It was suggested that a 3.5” D driveshaft would fix the “jump rope “ vibration. I had made a new shaft made & it did fix that vibration. I also got some UMI rear upper adjustable arms.

The 350 engine & 200R4 trans are 4* down, the carb pad on intake is at 0*. There is no room to lower front or raise rear so 4*is what it is. The driveshaft is at 0*, the pinion is now at 3* up. Spicer says 3* is max for a u joint & to limit rpm if it is more than that. The operating angles are 4* & 3*.

I have some more work to do on the car & will report back after the road test. Any comments on the angles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Driveline vibration

Hi Gary -

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I'm following this thread as I have the same engine/tranny combo as you and have purchased (not yet installed) the UMI adjustable rear uppers as well.

Did you purposely set the pinion 1* less than the engine/trans to account for the rear-end torque? I still have the factory DS, but it was balanced recently which eliminated most of the vibration I was getting. I'm only noticing a slight vibration now at higher speeds - hoping getting the adjustable rears installed will take care of that.

jim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
gary

I read on spicers page that 3* is the max they want, I thought it might be better to only have one joint at 4*. I will experiment with angles. My car has 4.11 rear gears so at 75 mph the shaft is turning 3500+- rpm. OD gets the engine down to 2500+- rpm.

I feel a drone above 3500 DS rpm that I’m trying to reduce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA8C5C22-74C6-4BE0-9004-64BF5A217E92.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	593118  

Last edited by 1967 chevelle malibu; May 6th, 19 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Add pic

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 6:59 PM
Tech Team
John

Watching results and too as in couple weeks I will have same setup 350/200r4 but 4.33 rear
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
Hi Gary -

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I'm following this thread as I have the same engine/tranny combo as you and have purchased (not yet installed) the UMI adjustable rear uppers as well.

Did you purposely set the pinion 1* less than the engine/trans to account for the rear-end torque? I still have the factory DS, but it was balanced recently which eliminated most of the vibration I was getting. I'm only noticing a slight vibration now at higher speeds - hoping getting the adjustable rears installed will take care of that.

jim
I have been looking at driveshaft angles & Detroit Speed recommends 1-2* less angle on pinion vs engine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I may be wrong - but, won't you lower the driveshaft at the rear end if you lower the pinion yoke, which will reduce the angle coming out of the trans?

If I read it right, you have the pinion angled up right now. Lowering it should decrease the angles at both the tail shaft and the pinion yoke.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
gary

I have had the pinion 3-4* up at the front of it. (This is called pinion down on Spicer as they look at the rise or fall from the front to back). I have also tried 1* up.

Yes if lowering pinion the angle at trans is less. I have been researching this for a year or so. Haven’t learned anything to pass on yet. Part of the problem is the 4.11 rear gear. The DS is spinning at 3500-4000 rpm at 75 mph. Thats the speed limit on I-10 in AZ.

I hope UMI. can help, we will see tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Ah, ok, so right now your pinion yoke is aimed down, not up (you were using Spicer's "up" terminology?)

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in