Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:30 PM
Tech Team

Re: Clutch recommendation please BBC, 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
I am also wondering this; after abusing a few Centerforce dual frictions with my 427 over the years. It is a decent clutch, but "hits" pretty hard for strip use. Grant can maybe graph one for us!

Just last week I installed a Ram DF for some testing with my new HitMaster clutch hit controller. If it ever quits raining here long enough to find some local dry pavement, i'll post up a graph of the results from a 10.36 SLR on a 28" radial

Grant
427L88 and FAT SACK like this.

Grant
website-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We make your non-adjustable clutch...ADJUSTABLE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 1:26 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT SACK View Post
Forgot to ask, are any of you guys using the Mcleod Street extreme clutch, single disc? Kinda looking at him for $350.00 or the RAM powergrip hd, single disc for $409.00? Thanks

yes I ran a 11" version of the street extreme. I did up a review, I would recommend a seach and read it.

Would I recommend this clutch for your application, yes. Keep in mind at your HP/TQ level I would not do repeated hits at the track, you will smoke it. mine failed on day 4 of drag week, this would be fairly abuse use to the clutch. You need to let it cool down between rounds. Friday night thing, 3 runs over 3 hours it will be fine. On the street it was fine, little touchy with a aluminum flywheel but with a 30lb steel it wouldn't be bad at all. Noticed no chatter. sprung hub was a little soft for my liking, you would get a compounded jerks if not carefull. gets somewhat grabby when warm.

it is a good balance between budget and performance.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 8:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I'm not worried about noise, I'd run straight headers all the time if I could. 2 inch primaries with turn downs and the loudest damn muffler I can find. I had a m22 once, yeah it's got that "wine" to it, loved it. I should have put in a gear drive to make even more noise.
427L88 likes this.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 9:19 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Hahaha, when funds allow, I might suggest an Autogear M23Z, which makes an M22 sound weak! Plus rated to 800 ft lbs. 3rd gear is the real noisemaker, and it does sound like a gear drive, albeit with a high er pitched whine. Motorsports | Custom Gearboxes | Muncie | Autogear

One reason I am tempted to reuse my CF DF is that once having a Long shifter bolted to a Richmond, I "long" for a Long again. So much better than a Hurst, it aint funny. So $600 for a new clutch , or $600 for a Long H1000? I'm thinking just a new new disc and a Long! ( visit Gforce transmissions for info )

Grant......"Hit tamer", eh? Meaning I wont have to choose between bogging or blowing the drag radials right off? INTERESTED! Now this ride may run the track 3-4 X year TOPS, so its a cruise machine ( with 3.31 final drive, so not easy on drivetrain! ) that needs to be able to knock on 11's when provoked. ( Bob Wilcox's 68 is my "hero" or idol, 500+ miles and then 11.60s. Anytime, anywhere)
FAT SACK likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 9:34 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I see you live in Atlanta how is the traffic? Do you drive the car a lot and is it subject to this traffic. If you are in a lot of stop and go and you want something that grips go with a dual disk clutch and hydraulic if you can. Where I live it is not uncommon to have to press in the clutch pedal 100 times to go a few miles. With todays technology / options on this stuff there is no reason you can not have good street manners and yet grip when you want it. A dual disk can accomplish this task without the enormous spring pressure you need with a single to do the same thing. I had a stick in my Chevelle years ago and went to Turbo 400 but my stick experience is from my C6 Corvette (600 rwhp / 550 rwtq) which is a different car but the clutch concept is still the same (I run a Mantic twin dual 9 inch discs with a 30 pound flywheel). On the flywheel weight is important a light flywheel is great once car is moving but can be a nuisance at a stoplight with the chatter and the extra rpm to leave the line. Also the light flywheel can be subject to the pesky cam surge where the car bucks back and forth at very low rpm - not as much of an issue if you have some gears or a smaller cam. The heavier flywheel will not rev as fast but is more of a pleasure to drive around town and will cost you about 10 rwhp. I know you are on a budget, but if you need to spend a little more to get it right you don't want to do this again. All depends what you want to do - do you want to have a clutch that works for what you need 5% of the time or 95% of the time.

Last edited by Lew540; Apr 12th, 19 at 9:36 AM. Reason: adding stuff
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 1:09 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Grant......"Hit tamer", eh? Meaning I wont have to choose between bogging or blowing the drag radials right off? INTERESTED! Now this ride may run the track 3-4 X year TOPS, so its a cruise machine ( with 3.31 final drive, so not easy on drivetrain! ) that needs to be able to knock on 11's when provoked. ( Bob Wilcox's 68 is my "hero" or idol, 500+ miles and then 11.60s. Anytime, anywhere)

The HitMaster version in my car right now is for hydraulic clutch release systems only.

There's an article about my original 'tamer in this issue of Fastest Street Car Magazine. NMRA Coyote Stock racer Clair Stewart used it last weekend on a diaphragm clutch to bring home the big check worth $5200.

Grant

Grant
website-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 1:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr530 View Post
The HitMaster version in my car right now is for hydraulic clutch release systems only.

Grant
Do you have more product information on the HitMaster. I've torn a lot of stuff up with my car, but I don't want a really big ugly valve under hood.

Where are you guys located?
FAT SACK likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 2:17 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
Do you have more product information on the HitMaster. I've torn a lot of stuff up with my car, but I don't want a really big ugly valve under hood.

Where are you guys located?

I'm in WA state.

The valve itself is remotely mounted with hoses, mine is located along side the driver's seat where I can easily reach it. I'm also using a solenoid bypass valve that's mounted directly to my master cyl, but that solenoid could also be remotely mounted pretty much anywhere if you wanted to hide it. Attached is a pic of the solenoid setup on my clutch master.

Grant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HitMaster alternative solenoid plumbing 500w.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	591428  
FAT SACK likes this.

Grant
website-

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 3:08 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT SACK View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight! Never heard of a "hit" adjustment, but then again I don't go to the track that much. THANKS!
Most of us just use our left leg

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
FAT SACK likes this.

Scott
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr530 View Post
I'm in WA state.

The valve itself is remotely mounted with hoses, mine is located along side the driver's seat where I can easily reach it. I'm also using a solenoid bypass valve that's mounted directly to my master cyl, but that solenoid could also be remotely mounted pretty much anywhere if you wanted to hide it. Attached is a pic of the solenoid setup on my clutch master.

Grant
Now incorporate the solenoid valve into the HitMaster and you've got something that I would buy. Come right off of the master cylinder to the throw out bearing with one line. Might be a pain to bleed though, but you'll figure it out.

I hate buying driveline parts.
FAT SACK likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 3:56 PM
Tech Team

I went with a Center Force Dual Friction Clutch for my 66 Vette with a 427 Big Block. Works very well.

Here a link to some options for your Chevelle.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Transmission-...29711&sbv=true
FAT SACK likes this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 8:35 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Something brought up here was clutch effort to operate... a dual disk is no easier to operate than a single AS LONG as the single is does not have a big pressure plate. Reason being is you loose the leverage arm with the smaller diaphragm compared to a larger one.

My rxt 1200 is just as hard to push as my single street extreme was. A rxt 1000 is about 5-10% less effort.

Rxt has a 1800lbs pressure plate. Rxt1200 has a 2200lbs pressure plate. 11” Street extreme has a 2600lbs pressure plate.

If your getting a single stay at 2600 or lower. I know centerforce said there’s was 28/2900, and it sucked when I owned one.
FAT SACK likes this.

1968 Beaumont
502 big block
Stock looking, definitely not stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 2:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Love the centerforce dual friction, smooth as silk good holding power. I dislike puck clutches and real light alum flywheels with a passion on the st. OP probably has enoguh tq I just dont see the advantage unless someones impressed that it "revs" quicker so what.

If one uses a Hyd clutch you can play with pedal pressures and how quick it engages by trying higher/lower mounting points. Higher will increase pedal effort but give more "room" til it fully grabs. youd think it would be the other way around. This T56 is awful quiet, do miss the noise of the old Muncies plus these dont tolerate aggressive shifting.
FAT SACK likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I recently bought a custom adjustable Soft-Lok setup. PP is set at around 1800lbs and holds my 800hp no probs all the way through to 8000rpm, and the pedal in lighter than my wifes Nissan Pulsar

I couldn't be happier.
FAT SACK likes this.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 1:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Talking Re: Clutch recommendation please BBC, 600 hp

Awesome stuff! Been pounded at work, just now coming up for air. Atlanta traffic: Holy Smokes X 1000. This is the worst place to travel PERIOD in ANY car! Actually Atlanta just got voted #4 in the United States as most aggressive drivers. Luckily, I live one hour North of the chaos. I thought Tampa and Miami was bad.......geez! Anyway, I will probably be stuck between lights here and there; cruises, car shows, Sunday stroll etc. I do need something fairly easy on the ol' leg because my wife already said it's half her car (it actually is because we're married and we're married) and she'll be driving sometimes. I can't wait for that damn train wreck and body shop bill! My flywheel is billet steel, SFI rated and weighs 30 lbs. I'm really leaning towards a hydraulic clutch unit.

As far as price point and having something that fits the bill; I'm kinda leaning towards the Ram Powergrip HD, iron/organic unit. My second pick would be the Mcleod Street Extreme - Ceramic unit. The Ram is $60.00 more ( 3 cases of beer ). The tech at Summit told me the Mcleod would be more "street friendly" and possibly a little easier on the leg. So, I decided to go with what my wife WOULDN'T like to drive, the Ram clutch. Just kidding, kinda, but the tech told me the Ram would bite a little harder, be more aggressive, could take a little more abuse and handle my power a little better. Their both single disc units. The dual disc is just too much for my wallet and pay scale.

I'm gonna do a little more homework and also try to find a good used Lakewood blow proof bell housing for $200-$250. THANKS!
427L88 and SSJohn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in