10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Re: 12 Bolt Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I had Pyle Brothers in Baytown do my 12 bolt. The put Ford ends on, added Wilwood disc, Moser Axels, and best of all, the Eaton TruTrac.

Great setup. The TruTrac requires no additive, is super strong, and it does what a good Posi is supposed to do.
Jackie,

That is exactly what I want done to my 12 bolt (true-trac, new gears, better axles and ford ends).

Do they run into added expense installing the Ford ends on a 67 housing since it's shorter ? I was wondering if they have to relocate the shock mounts further inward.

Is there a ballpark price I can expect to pay ? I will strip and clean my housing and take it to whomever.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:46 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800XCR View Post
I'm having my 12 bolt updated to have the large Ford bearing ends to eliminate C-clip concerns. I also want to add disc brakes at the same time. What setups have been used with success. I will still be using 15x8 ralley wheels.

Wilwood makes very nice rear brake setups with in the hat parking brakes that work very well with the right cabling.

I used their four piston kit with 12.19" rotors. My stock 15" Rally wheels fit fine. They offer this setup to fit various rears. Let them know what you have and what you're doing and they'll tell you what kit is for you.

As far as eliminating C-clip retention, I'm for it. Also, I have a Ford 9" rear and I've never had issues with the seals leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160312_135548919.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	591376  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

If it wasn't for the disk brake thing that I do not know about, Strange makes a set of street/strip C clip eliminators better suited for street driving.

Ray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

For decades, Moroso has had on the market "climbing gear lube". It's great stuff. BUT, during use, it's drawn into the gears and it stays there, it's very sticky. Several companies offer climbing gear lube.

BUT, using it in a rear with open axle bearings such as a stock GM rear results in burned axle bearings because while driving, there's no lube on the bearings.

This is NOT an issee with Ford style sealed axle bearings because they don't rely on the diff fluid for lubrication. This may help "cure" seal leaking for you guys that have this problem.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 10:16 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon0724 View Post
You ever see a axle break at the track? Very violent and destructive to the car. And very dangerous to the Driver and Spectators. These is no way, no how those little bitty ass 10mm, 3/8 or whatever size caliper bolts are going to hold the axle in.
OP, Do it the right and safe way and go the Ford housing ends and contact Wilwood. They makes brake kits for all kinds of axle flanges.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitAxleFlange
And yet those "itty bitty" bolts are capable of handling the weight of the car every single time the brakes are applied..... Just sayin'.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 1:23 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
And yet those "itty bitty" bolts are capable of handling the weight of the car every single time the brakes are applied..... Just sayin'.
It may be the difference between a shear load and a tension load. In aircraft there is a significant difference between two fasteners that look identical, but are designed for different types of load. The head markings aren’t there just for decoration...
paul bell likes this.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 2:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Can anybody give me an approximate price of what I'm in for ? LOL

Taking my disassembled and cleaned 12 bolt housing to someone for :

True trac differential, ring and pinion,new axles and ford bearing housing ends ?

Can I get this done for $2500 ?? I think the parts will be $1400-$1500.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 2:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Can anybody give me an approximate price of what I'm in for ? LOL

Taking my disassembled and cleaned 12 bolt housing to someone for :

True trac differential, ring and pinion,new axles and ford bearing housing ends ?

Can I get this done for $2500 ?? I think the parts will be $1400-$1500.

Check with Toms differentials I bought almost all my 12 bolt parts from him(the few parts I bought else where was from Mark Williams), his Ford ends are very nice they are threaded instead of using t-bolts for the axle retainer/backning plates.
https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/
Tom passed away last Year but afaik his wife and doughter runs the business.
Heres some pics of my 12 bolt.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...w-12-bolt.html

Or check with Tory aka Lionel-n-Chevelles, he can help you with parts.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/mem...chevelles.html

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 3:44 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
It may be the difference between a shear load and a tension load. In aircraft there is a significant difference between two fasteners that look identical, but are designed for different types of load. The head markings aren’t there just for decoration...
The pressures are no different than those put on the bolt-on bearing retainer in a non-C-clip axle (which are itty bitty bolts too by the way). Those too are not pressures those bolts are not intended to to take yet they do and do just fine.

No axle on a c-clip rear end with disc brakes is going anywhere even if the axle breaks. It's going to bugger up a lot of things, but it's not leaving the car.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 4:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
No axle on a c-clip rear end with disc brakes is going anywhere even if the axle breaks. It's going to bugger up a lot of things, but it's not leaving the car.
Keeping the c-clips and not installing ford ends on my 12 bolt would probably save $300+.

I think c-clips are outlawed if you run faster than 10.99 ? I don't expect to get close to that.

If the 12 bolt gets too close to a S60 Strange in price , I'm going to the dark side with the Dana. LOL

Last edited by nashville beth; Apr 11th, 19 at 4:30 PM.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 5:17 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
The pressures are no different than those put on the bolt-on bearing retainer in a non-C-clip axle (which are itty bitty bolts too by the way). Those too are not pressures those bolts are not intended to to take yet they do and do just fine.

I agree with you, and never said, or think, that the axles would leave the car. Just offering up a different “plane”of thought
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 6:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Quote:
Jackie,

That is exactly what I want done to my 12 bolt (true-trac, new gears, better axles and ford ends).

Do they run into added expense installing the Ford ends on a 67 housing since it's shorter ? I was wondering if they have to relocate the shock mounts further inward.

Is there a ballpark price I can expect to pay ? I will strip and clean my housing and take it to whomever.
With the value of a '67 12 bolt and the cost that you will be out by having these modifications done you would be better off selling the '67 12 bolt and getting a Moser housing with the Ford ends already installed. The Moser housing has a thicker casting, much larger bearing caps with larger bolts, thicker seamless axle tubes and the Moser shock mounts do not interfere with the housing ends.
Molly's 70, dell72, SSJohn and 1 others like this.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 7:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
With the value of a '67 12 bolt and the cost that you will be out by having these modifications done you would be better off selling the '67 12 bolt and getting a Moser housing with the Ford ends already installed. The Moser housing has a thicker casting, much larger bearing caps with larger bolts, thicker seamless axle tubes and the Moser shock mounts do not interfere with the housing ends.
What do you think of the S60? It seems to be $500 cheaper and looks stronger.

Another plan is to build the 12 bolt without the Ford ends and keep the c-clip axles. Just install a true-trac with 30 spline axles and new gears.

I am installing 2002 Camaro rear disc brakes in case an axle does break.

That wouldn't cost a bundle, would it ? :-)

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Check with Toms differentials I bought almost all my 12 bolt parts from him(the few parts I bought else where was from Mark Williams), his Ford ends are very nice they are threaded instead of using t-bolts for the axle retainer/backning plates.
https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/
Tom passed away last Year but afaik his wife and doughter runs the business.
Heres some pics of my 12 bolt.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-...w-12-bolt.html

Or check with Tory aka Lionel-n-Chevelles, he can help you with parts.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/mem...chevelles.html
Thanks, I got his catalog. Great looking rear, I mean 12 bolt ! LOL
Malibu ss 64 likes this.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Quote:
What do you think of the S60? It seems to be $500 cheaper and looks stronger.

Another plan is to build the 12 bolt without the Ford ends and keep the c-clip axles. Just install a true-trac with 30 spline axles and new gears.

I am installing 2002 Camaro rear disc brakes in case an axle does break.

That wouldn't cost a bundle, would it ? :-)
I like the S60, except I like Moser housing ends better. I was going to use the S60 housing in my Chevelle and order it without ends. Then I was going to install Moser ends on it. I'm not building a Chevelle now, so that's out the window.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in