Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Fab it or buy one?

So I need to take care of the trans crossmember on my build. I'm still debating weather to buy a crossmember or fab one up. Who has fab'd their own? I used Hellwig's boxing kit on the frame so the stock crossmember bolt holes are covered and no longer available. I do have the supplied weld on brackets for the crossmember to bolt to. Do I just find a stock crossmember and cut it to size or get some different steel material and fab my own? Also want to know if when the engine and trans are sitting in the frame do they need to be level or 3* down angle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 3:46 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Fab it or buy one?

3* down in back.

build your own. Take note of the size, shape and vertical positioning of the trans mount tab. The crossmember of a Chevelle sits on top of the lower frame rail.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 8:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
3* down in back.

build your own. Take note of the size, shape and vertical positioning of the trans mount tab. The crossmember of a Chevelle sits on top of the lower frame rail.
Thanks for the response. So from what I have read and talked with some knowledgeable people the motor sits on the mounts in it's normal position near level with the frame. The transmission attached lies with the motor near level. The Hellwig kit supplied the mounting plates that need to be welded to give the same mounting orientation as stock. I will cut some metal here at work today and fab the crossmember when I get the motor and trans back in the frame. Once the 3rd member and axles show up I will get the rear suspension installed back in the frame and turn the pinion up 3*.

My other confliction is measuring the driveshaft. If the car needs to be built and sitting on the tires under it's own weight how does one measure if ya can't get under the car? It's stance is gonna be 2" lower in the front and 3-4" in the back. Can't I just leave the body off and have a 200+ pound human sit on each corner and then measure it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 9:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91c1500sleeper View Post
...If the car needs to be built and sitting on the tires under it's own weight how does one measure if ya can't get under the car? It's stance is gonna be 2" lower in the front and 3-4" in the back. Can't I just leave the body off and have a 200+ pound human sit on each corner and then measure it?
Put is on ramps/blocks. I use ramps way more than I use a jack. My driveway is sloped, so I put the ramps downhill, so it is easier to get on them, and if there is a problem, it will roll "uphill". I can do everything with normal ramps that doesn't require removing wheels.
Mine look like this, I got them at Montgomery Ward in early 1980s... (if you get any, get removable ramp ones)
91c1500sleeper likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 8:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
3* down in back.

One more thing to clear up before I make the cross member. The pad that the transmount sits on is it level with the bottom lip of the frame? If not is there anyone that can give me a measurement from the bottom lip to the mounting pad on the cross member?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 9:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

So I have the 3rd member and axles installed in the 9 inch housing. I don't know if it's just my eyes or is the yoke a few inches over to the passenger side of where the tailshaft will sit? If there is an offset from the tailshaft to the rear end yoke is the U-joint going to make it be satisfied and run right? I have no experience running a 9 inch in a chevy or even a ford. I searched for the answer to no avail.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 9:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Lemon's Headers makes a very nice crossmember for our cars. They come raw, I had mine powdercoated. Lemons Headers Online :: A Closer Look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemon's 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	589672  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 4:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Lemon's Headers makes a very nice crossmember for our cars. They come raw, I had mine powdercoated. Lemons Headers Online :: A Closer Look
He sells them for $260. Can you tell if the trans mount pad is level with the frame mounting pads? I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in the two.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 8:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Todd, I honestly wouldn't be able to take a measurement like that.

Knowing that Dan Lemon does stellar and dead on balls accurate work, I'd say it's safe to assume the mounting pad for the transmission mount is exactly where it belongs.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in