Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 9:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Which Transmission is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Its ALOT cheaper to redo an existing Muncie with AGE gears as Tom did.
I went the other way. I had a perfect set of GM M20 gears, so I added a AGE super case and iron midplate to make sure the 40+ year old gears would live a long life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 136379G View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have considered the AGE complete gear change and it will save a good bit of cash leaving the case as the weak. I think the BW with 2.88 to 1 first gear could be the best choice if l can find one at a good price then sell the m20.
You can buy one brand new:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Richmond-Gear...00072/10002/-1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 12:07 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have considered the AGE complete gear change and it will save a good bit of cash leaving the case as the weak. I think the BW with 2.88 to 1 first gear could be the best choice if l can find one at a good price then sell the m20.

Buy the gears, then run the new gears and tranny over to my house and we'll swap everything out in an afternoon.

OR, since you are in NY, take everything over to Larry Fischer of D&L Transmission and have him do it. D and L Transmissions

(By the way, I've been doing business and buying my 4sp parts from Larry for about 35yrs)

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 3:20 AM
Tech Team

GM Engineers of the day claim that a ST 10 had much more capacity with the nodular iron case(#905 as I recall)also the nodular cases had less tendancy to oval out the countershaft hole creating leaks.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 7:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mattson View Post
GM Engineers of the day claim that a ST 10 had much more capacity with the nodular iron case(#905 as I recall)also the nodular cases had less tendancy to oval out the countershaft hole creating leaks.
The only OEM GM nodular iron case (-904 fwiw) ST-10's I know of were installed in late 1980 and 1981 F-Body vehicles and those were 3.42:1 first gear (ultra low "Z" first gear sets) transmissions. The aluminum case with that 1st gear had greatly reduced torque capacity and were more prone to failure hence the iron case to help increase durability. The aftermarket B-W Power Brute series of ST-10's did have the nodular case and some 2.43 "S" and 2.64 "X" close ratio 1st gear units had 9310 nickel alloy gear sets. I have several ST-10's among them an iron case 2.64 "X", an aluminum case 3.42 "Z" out of a 1980 Camaro and an iron case 3.42 "Z" out of a 1981 Firebird.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 8:24 AM
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

We are talking about a mild 402 street cruiser. Get the M20 rebuilt and you'll be happy
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
The only OEM GM nodular iron case (-904 fwiw) ST-10's I know of were installed in late 1980 and 1981 F-Body vehicles and those were 3.42:1 first gear (ultra low "Z" first gear sets) transmissions. The aluminum case with that 1st gear had greatly reduced torque capacity and were more prone to failure hence the iron case to help increase durability. The aftermarket B-W Power Brute series of ST-10's did have the nodular case and some 2.43 "S" and 2.64 "X" close ratio 1st gear units had 9310 nickel alloy gear sets. I have several ST-10's among them an iron case 2.64 "X", an aluminum case 3.42 "Z" out of a 1980 Camaro and an iron case 3.42 "Z" out of a 1981 Firebird.
I have a ST-10 built back in the 90's by S-K Speed. It has the nodular iron case, nodular iron mid-plate, 9310 nickel alloy gear set with the "x" 2.64 first gear set. Great transmission! Much better shifting than the Muncie it replaced. Also a tough transmission. Held up for years with about a 550hp 454 in front of it. Even handled my current 496 without a problem until I upgraded to a Tremec Magnum 6 speed. Hanging on to it for a potential future build.

Darren
1971 Chevelle
CFM Ported Stage 5 Brodix Race-Rites 310cc
10.5 scr
Ultradyne Solid Roller 256/264 .660/.660 108 lsa
CFM Ported Victor Jr / Pro Systems Venom VX 1050
T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, DFX
12 Bolt TrueTrac, 4.56 gear 33 spline Moser axles
30x12.5 ET Street Radial
525++ rwhp

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 11:59 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Buy the gears, then run the new gears and tranny over to my house and we'll swap everything out in an afternoon.

OR, since you are in NY, take everything over to Larry Fischer of D&L Transmission and have him do it. D and L Transmissions

(By the way, I've been doing business and buying my 4sp parts from Larry for about 35yrs)
If trying to do it on a budget the above sounds like a good way to go.
What I would suggest be fore you do anything is the following. Figure out what gear ratios you will be running and then use one of the many online calculators to figure out what rpm your engine will be turning at highway speed which should be about 70 mph. Then go out and run your car at that rpm for 10 minutes or so on a quiet highway. I did that and found that at the rpm I was turning at highway speed the exhaust report was a little on the loud side. It was then I decided that I would not be happy with that set up. My solution was to get an overdrive transmission but that may not work for everyone.
You are going to go through a lot of work to change trans and rear gears. Would be a shame if it was not what you expected.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ed

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. My 1st plan was the M20 I grabbed for $300 but it needs rebuilding and has the wrong splines. I found a plug and play 2.64:1 Super T10 for less than the cost of the o/h kit, yoke and clutch disc I would have needed to use the Muncie. My next task is fine a 3 series posi unit. Eaton or TrueTrac ???
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Ed, can't go wrong with an Eaton posi unit

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. My 1st plan was the M20 I grabbed for $300 but it needs rebuilding and has the wrong splines. I found a plug and play 2.64:1 Super T10 for less than the cost of the o/h kit, yoke and clutch disc I would have needed to use the Muncie. My next task is fine a 3 series posi unit. Eaton or TrueTrac ???
FYI there are 3:73 gear sets that fit a 4-series posi-diff.
that would reduce your rpm's in high gear about 400-ish rpm lower; [from a 4:10 gear rpms]
also depending on your rear tire diameter changing to a taller tire can also reduce your rpm's in high gear 100-300ish-rpm;
its not the same as bolting in a 3:07-3:08 gear set; but it could be more economical if you don't do alot of highway or high speed driving

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 7:53 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

The 3.42 first gear makes you shift at about 10 mph ,totally useless.I had one in an 1981 z28 with a built 454.I babied it cause i knew.Sold the car and the new owner got a week out of it till it decided to explode.Id take the muncie.No more manuals for me though,th400 in my chevelle.
dyno jonn likes this.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 6:13 AM
Tech Team

l0l darn David ..mmm..mm**** just ooozes cool regsrdless. .I shift like a trucker to preserve my gearbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in