700R4 in 72 Malibu with Column shifter - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 7:24 PM Thread Starter

700R4 in 72 Malibu with Column shifter

New to the Chevelle scene but been a muscle car guy since I was a kid. I pickup up a clean and complete 72 4-door Malibu (Yes wife wanted a 4-door) that I am doing a restomod daily driver for her. Car is a factory 350motor/350 trans, bench seat, column shift. I am trying to keep things looking as factory as possible per the wife's request but I am having trouble finding 700R4 conversions that keep the column shifter. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and if its not doable then I can tell her at least I tried to keep it close to factory. Appreciate any advice or help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	587000  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 700R4 in 72 Malibu with Column shifter

My 1967 El Camino was a factory 327 with 3 speed manual on the column. When my dad bought it back in 1996, we swapped in a 700R4 and a 350. We bought a tilt automatic column from a junk yard. It was from something mid 1970s, a Buick I think... We ground off the ignition key area and removed the key lock parts and filled and painted it, looks great. As for shifting, initially we used one of the 2 rods from the manual column shifter, then I think we swapped it for an aftermarket adjustable rod, I forget right now (but I can look). With the 1970s column, I can get all 7 positions of the 700R4 P-R-N-O-3-2-1. With it in 1, the shifter is basically on my right thigh, and I can shift it up to 2 with my leg, while on the gas, kind of fun. And I can shift it to 3 as well with my leg, but not as graceful...
What I should do is measure the degrees of throw the shifter goes through from P - 1.
SO, to sum up, if you stick in a 700R4, I bet the shifter will just plain work.
Now the shift indicator, that is another issue. Mine is simple, I don't have one.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Here is what I started with. A 1971- 307-350-T Nomad Sta. Wgn. The conversion to the 700R4 is SOOOOooooooo EASY.
First mark the transmission crossmember, Front & Back on the frame where it sits now. You will find out why later.
For me , A 700R4 is a 350-T with an O.D. unit on the back. Use caution when you remove the 350-T cooler lines from the tranny. They bolt DIRECTLY to the 700R. " COOLER lines done"...Remove the " U " shaped piece from the side of the 350-T. Bolt it on to the 700R, NOW re/attach your STOCK shift linkage... SHIFT linkage done! " I did not even have to adjust the string under the dash. The 700R fill tube bolts to the same place as the 350-T fill tube.
Transmission crossmember: Remove the four bolts and KEEP THEM...Move it back, To the correct position, Install tranny mount... Drill ONE new hole in each side... Re install the four bolts you saved. You will have TWO METRIC BOLTS in your car. The two bolts & Washers that hold the tranny mount to the 700R4. ( I painted mine PINK.)
OK.... The tranny is mounted in the car, The cooler lines are done, The shift linkage is Done. NOW the Emg. Brake cable. The about 3/8" Dia. rod that was attached to the crossmember to support the floating Emg. brake cable. You need to shorten this rod so the Emg. brake will function as it was designed to. Remember the distance you moved the crossmember back???
NOW, Get a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" rod and bend it up so it looks like the org. one you removed. Make it SHORTER then the org. HOW MUCH????
Measure the Center to Center of the old rod, Make the new one,Center to center the distance you move the crossmember back.
With the new short rod the Emg. brake will function as designed.
When you get to the " TV " cable attachment. I made all my parts from junk around the garage. And set it up as per factory. Mine shifts at 13-36-55-Loc/up. I have over 39.000 miles on my 700R4 since I installed it.
SO,,,, I think I got it Right! Remember, Its not a Rocket Ship, Its a tranny swap in an OLD Chevy. I did all of this when I was 67 years old. On my back, In my tiny garage. If you need questions answered, Myself and many others have done this swap. Just ask.
The TV cable stuff is EASY, Just ask.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 12:03 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I converted my TH350 to 200R4 (column shift) using the Kugel Shift Arm Connection Kit. It provides all of the necessary adjustment to allow your existing column shift to reach all of the gears of an overdrive transmission. As others have stated, the P-R-N-0-3-2-1 won't line up exactly, but there's no detent in the column so it won't cause any issues. And they do sell an adhesive overlay you can install that adds the additional "overdrive" position to the indicator.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 1:16 PM
Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
I converted my TH350 to 200R4 (column shift) using the Kugel Shift Arm Connection Kit. It provides all of the necessary adjustment to allow your existing column shift to reach all of the gears of an overdrive transmission. As others have stated, the P-R-N-0-3-2-1 won't line up exactly, but there's no detent in the column so it won't cause any issues. And they do sell an adhesive overlay you can install that adds the additional "overdrive" position to the indicator.

I'm prepping to do this conversion: LS1 + 200R4 w/column shifter. Thanks for the link/info. Mine is going into a '69 4 door. Anything else weird to look out for? Sounds fairly straight forward.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 1:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

This: https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/S157.html

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 3:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

This lens is $5 cheaper: https://shiftworks.com/collections/c...sh-column-lens

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 4:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Here is what I started with. A 1971- 307-350-T Nomad Sta. Wgn. The conversion to the 700R4 is SOOOOooooooo EASY.
First mark the transmission crossmember, Front & Back on the frame where it sits now. You will find out why later.
For me , A 700R4 is a 350-T with an O.D. unit on the back. Use caution when you remove the 350-T cooler lines from the tranny. They bolt DIRECTLY to the 700R. " COOLER lines done"...Remove the " U " shaped piece from the side of the 350-T. Bolt it on to the 700R, NOW re/attach your STOCK shift linkage... SHIFT linkage done! " I did not even have to adjust the string under the dash. The 700R fill tube bolts to the same place as the 350-T fill tube.
Transmission crossmember: Remove the four bolts and KEEP THEM...Move it back, To the correct position, Install tranny mount... Drill ONE new hole in each side... Re install the four bolts you saved. You will have TWO METRIC BOLTS in your car. The two bolts & Washers that hold the tranny mount to the 700R4. ( I painted mine PINK.)
OK.... The tranny is mounted in the car, The cooler lines are done, The shift linkage is Done. NOW the Emg. Brake cable. The about 3/8" Dia. rod that was attached to the crossmember to support the floating Emg. brake cable. You need to shorten this rod so the Emg. brake will function as it was designed to. Remember the distance you moved the crossmember back???
NOW, Get a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" rod and bend it up so it looks like the org. one you removed. Make it SHORTER then the org. HOW MUCH????
Measure the Center to Center of the old rod, Make the new one,Center to center the distance you move the crossmember back.
With the new short rod the Emg. brake will function as designed.
When you get to the " TV " cable attachment. I made all my parts from junk around the garage. And set it up as per factory. Mine shifts at 13-36-55-Loc/up. I have over 39.000 miles on my 700R4 since I installed it.
SO,,,, I think I got it Right! Remember, Its not a Rocket Ship, Its a tranny swap in an OLD Chevy. I did all of this when I was 67 years old. On my back, In my tiny garage. If you need questions answered, Myself and many others have done this swap. Just ask.
The TV cable stuff is EASY, Just ask.
Bob
What about the driveshaft? I'm pretty sure we had to shorten ours. But yeah, even going from a manual, it wasn't rocket science. We had to add cooler lines (they are still kind of mickey mouse, but been on there 20 years...).
I don't have lockup, so we never hooked up anything for that.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 22nd, 19, 8:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

YES, I did have the shaft cut about ? ? ? 1 & 3/4" NOT positive of the length???? Cost was around $40/50.00. Also, My cut down drive shaft has over 38/39.000 miles on it. It is the old org. 307-350-T driveshaft.
So far so good. My 468 / 700R4 combo in my Nomad Wgn., is a driver not a race car. I would guess with big sticky tires, I would re-think the driveline.
A 700R4 install in a 69-72 Chevelle is a basic bolt in. Also the piece with the square hole in it for the TV cable, It came off the the old 307 and the 350-T.
It is bolted to the B.B. intake with One intake bolt.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 23rd, 19, 9:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

I did the 200-4R conversion before swapping to a TKO. From my research the only difference in the swap is the driveshaft has to be shortened. I highly recommend the Kugal linkage it make everything work as it should. I also used a Bow Tie Overdrives TV linkage. it also makes setup and geometry a snap. With the 700 you will also need to look at your rear gearing but that has been discussed elsewhere. If you haven't purchased the 700, I would look seriously at a 200. Despite what some will say, the 700 is not a stronger transmission but is getting harder to find.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Unread Feb 25th, 19, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the site references and the first hand knowledge on this topic. I'm not sure the wife realizes how big a difference going from a bone stock 350 survivor to what I've told her will be a "good" daily driver... LOL

383 stroker with FItech EFi
700R4
3.73 rear gears
4 wheel power discs
full UMI suspension with coilovers
17x9/11 wheels

Whom I kidding... I just like building fast cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in