Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage
Broken Input Shaft Symptoms?

Morning TC. Last night I decided to take the car out for "one last drive" before winter shows up. I had been driving for about 10 minutes everything perfect as usual, no strange noises, vibrations, etc. Pulled up to a red light. When the light turned green I release the clutch and nothing but the engine revving from the gas I was giving. A passerby helped me push the car to the side of the road and noticed the clutch pedal felt "looser" like way easier to depress. Also, I am able to move the shifter through every gear incl reverse without the clutch. Looked under the car and all the linkages seem to be good. I had to get the car towed

Does that sound like an input shaft problem? The car is sitting at a shop, but I wanted to try and get a pre-diagnosis.

Thanks,

Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Broken Input Shaft Symptoms?

I would think more something to do with the linkage. It could be on either end of the Z-bar or even the return spring broke. Check the ball stud on the block it could have worked loose.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I would think more something to do with the linkage. It could be on either end of the Z-bar or even the return spring broke. Check the ball stud on the block it could have worked loose.
Roger that. Thank you.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 3:08 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

If the clutch linkage failed it would have likely failed with the clutch engaged. You wouldn't be able to get it into and out of gear with the engine running. If the clutch pedal feels soft, I'd suspect the pressure plate failed in the disengaged position somehow or the linkage jammed somehow holding the clutch disengaged.

Is the shifter linkage still attached and working properly?

If the input shaft broke, I'd think you'd have heard some ugly noises.
blm, HKalin, fr8dog and 3 others like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Let us know what they find.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 8:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you can step on the pedal with no resistance and the car doesn’t move I would guess the diaphragm of the clutch is over extended and the pressure plate is stuck.
HKalin and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 18, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
If you can step on the pedal with no resistance and the car doesn’t move I would guess the diaphragm of the clutch is over extended and the pressure plate is stuck.
This’ll be my guess.
HKalin likes this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 7:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
If the clutch linkage failed it would have likely failed with the clutch engaged. You wouldn't be able to get it into and out of gear with the engine running. If the clutch pedal feels soft, I'd suspect the pressure plate failed in the disengaged position somehow or the linkage jammed somehow holding the clutch disengaged.

Is the shifter linkage still attached and working properly?

If the input shaft broke, I'd think you'd have heard some ugly noises.
Thanks, yeah that was the thing...no ugly noises. Linkage is all in place, I had a buddy engage it while I looked under and above and it all appears to be working. Its just real soft.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 7:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Let us know what they find.
Roger that.
HKalin likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 18, 8:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded67 View Post
Thanks, yeah that was the thing...no ugly noises. Linkage is all in place, I had a buddy engage it while I looked under and above and it all appears to be working. Its just real soft.
It's real soft because your diaphragm is locked in the disengaged position and you are not getting resistance from it's spring pressure. If you disconnect the return spring, most likely the pedal will drop to the floor.

Your symptoms show that the input shaft is not being driven for one reason or another. Most other reasons would involve obvious noise or grinding/destruction that would have been hard to ignore.
HKalin likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 8:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Good Morning everyone. Thank you for all the responses. Due to the holidays, we have not been able to work on the car. I did take a flashlight and look into the housing and can see that the fork is bent. What caused it and whether anything else is broken is yet to be seen. Will need to open everything and do a detailed inspection after the holidays.

Have a safe and Happy New Year to all!

-Rock
David Bates and HKalin like this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 8:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rocky

Garage

Good Morning TC and Happy New Year! Just an update on the tranny issue. So we found that the ring for the bell housing came loose. The ring that came loose is a bell housing adapter someone previously installed to adapt the T10 transmission to the Muncie Bell housing. It's a press fit installation but it came loose somehow and got jammed up in the clutch fork, bearing area preventing the clutch from engaging. As a result, the fork got bent and the bearing damaged and shows evidence of overheating. We drilled three holes in the edge of the ring to "pin" it to the trans housing so it can't come loose again. See pics below. In one of those pictures you can see one or two of the small hole where the pins are installed. Put it all back together and car is running great again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	582340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	582342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	582344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	582346  

427L88 and HKalin like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

T10 and Muncie should have the same bearing retainer OD, unless this is a very early T10 (pre-1964). I wonder if that ring is to adapt the T10/Muncie retainer to a truck bellhousing?
David Bates and HKalin like this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded67 View Post
Good Morning TC and Happy New Year! Just an update on the tranny issue. So we found that the ring for the bell housing came loose. The ring that came loose is a bell housing adapter someone previously installed to adapt the T10 transmission to the Muncie Bell housing. See below! It's a press fit installation but it came loose somehow and got jammed up in the clutch fork, bearing area preventing the clutch from engaging. As a result, the fork got bent and the bearing damaged and shows evidence of overheating. We drilled three holes in the edge of the ring to "pin" it to the trans housing so it can't come loose again. See pics below. In one of those pictures you can see one or two of the small hole where the pins are installed. Put it all back together and car is running great again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
T10 and Muncie should have the same bearing retainer OD, unless this is a very early T10 (pre-1964). I wonder if that ring is to adapt the T10/Muncie retainer to a truck bellhousing?
^Exactly! Adapts passenger car manual transmissions to a truck bellhousing.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 19, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I was thinking the same thing when he mentioned the spacer ring. Maybe he'll post a picture of the bellhousing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 452 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.