What brand torque converter do you use? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 6:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: What brand torque converter do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbad1 View Post
I'll tell you the older I get I think Id rather complain about the price. Instead of complaining about the quality.
Wise words! Yes, I had my doubts he could build one, especially in a 9.5" can. Did some prying on yellowbucket and a couple other forums and he had good reviews. He asked me maybe 3 questions and that should have been the tipoff. I did have a 5 minute conversation with Coan and they asked ALL the right questions.
When you factor the money, the time, the aggravation and the downtime to do it over, it makes perfect sense to buy the best.
Bbbad1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 18, 8:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

Select Performance Transmissions in Long Island NY. Eddie Sr. & Eddie Jr.

They had a pretty good website but it looks down. They're here also: https://www.facebook.com/Select-Perf...-150260568751/
Bbbad1 likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 8:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim T

I believe that's where I'm at I have a B&M 2400 shall in my car now behind my 454. I can't tell you if it does anything. That's what 300 bucks gets you. Coan is asking a ton of questions just to figure out what series converter I should be looking at and then saying we really need all yr info to do it right. Dyno sheet and 40 other questions. If you guys haven't looked into it. Look up any big converter company and pull up their order sheet for custom converter. Omg its crazy. Now the fact that I will have a fresh dyno sheet they probably won't use 2/3s of that info but its amazing. So Im going spend 2 or $300 more will the guy that says "We Will get you what u want." vers. The guy saying. "This one Should doit."Jerry Id like to message you to compare what they told you.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Never buy and pay little for a good converter......

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I'll save you the time Tim....Coan asked everything a good engine builder would, compression, cid, heads, cam specs, usage, gears, tire size, and a few more I'm likely forgetting. They basically wanted to plot the torque curve first, then apply that to the car. It was pretty obvious they knew their business.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Once you get a good converter you will never go back. The stall torque ratio (STR) is a big thing you need to discuss. The higher the the STR, the more streetable it is, but less efficient on the top end.

I ran a precision industries vigilante 3k stall in my LS swapped blazer. Think it was rated around 1.9-2.0 STR, was setup up originally for spray but I never got around to it. It worked well for my setup even though I'd choked it out trying to keep it emissions legal.

Normal driving (4L60-E custom built by myself):
https://youtu.be/ZnRvkUe9uJ8

Launching it before I had any coffee, turned my stomach on the 1-2 shift (275/40/17s with heavy blazer rear had a lot of grip) :
https://youtu.be/Eo1HWJU_bHg

It worked well, grocery getter vs GTO:
https://youtu.be/qS3ql5L1PzI

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 2:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I believe that's where I'm at I have a B&M 2400 shall in my car now behind my 454. I can't tell you if it does anything. That's what 300 bucks gets you.
I used a 2400 B&M Holeshot for many years. Would flash to 2800. Great convertor and was good for a mid 12 second street car.
Now for something like your 540,whole different ball game.

A good friend with a 540 powered 71 Monte that ran low 10's used these folks: https://tsirace.com/
Bbbad1 likes this.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 1:46 PM
Tech Team

I'd go with a TCI Super Street Fighter.
Bbbad1 likes this.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 18, 5:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Quote:
So I'm in need of a new torque converter for my new engine being built. 540ci/675ish hp. T400 tranny. SO I'll have the dyno sheet and all info needed to have a custom torque converter built. But I don't think I need a $2000.00 converter. But I would like to find a company that will put some thought in to it and not just grab something of the shelf. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Call FTI-866-726-8358
They build excellent converters and will discuss it with you till you are satisfied.
lucifershammer likes this.

68 Chevelle
ZZ454, Holley 770SA, MSD 6AL-2
700R4, 3.31 True Trac
UMI suspension
17" Torque Thrust II
Grecian Green

69 SS 396 4-speed
396 375hp
Super Muncie, 3.73 True Trac
UMI Stage 2 suspension
Lemans Blue
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 4:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim T

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
Call FTI-866-726-8358
They build excellent converters and will discuss it with you till you are satisfied.
Ya I spoke to Fti after my builder recommended them or Coan and has one of each in his 2 race cars. Unfortunately some times it comes down to the salesmen or how he's feeling that day. He asked me like 3 questions and rattled of a part number. Ah No. I'm sure he gets a lot of tire kickers. But that's a lost sales.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

You might give ATI a call. After all, these are the guys who manufacture many of the hard parts that other companies use when they build their transmissions.

ATI Torque Converters for Drag Racing, Street Rod and High Performance use

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Once you get a good converter you will never go back. The stall torque ratio (STR) is a big thing you need to discuss. The higher the the STR, the more streetable it is, but less efficient on the top end.

I ran a precision industries vigilante 3k stall in my LS swapped blazer. Think it was rated around 1.9-2.0 STR, was setup up originally for spray but I never got around to it. It worked well for my setup even though I'd choked it out trying to keep it emissions legal.

Normal driving (4L60-E custom built by myself):
https://youtu.be/ZnRvkUe9uJ8

Launching it before I had any coffee, turned my stomach on the 1-2 shift (275/40/17s with heavy blazer rear had a lot of grip) :
https://youtu.be/Eo1HWJU_bHg

It worked well, grocery getter vs GTO:
https://youtu.be/qS3ql5L1PzI

STR is a made up number much like DCR. Its a number calculated that doesn't give any real data.

The torque converter builder should ask the primary use of the converter and can build the converter without calculating some meaningless number.
Stator selection is done by experience not a calculator.
Bbbad1 likes this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 12:28 AM
Tech Team
Don

Garage

I have an ATI 8 inch in my 68 Camaro 496(675HP) with a glide and 4.10's. Flashes to around 4,800. Runs low 10's. Probably has over 1,000 runs on it. Can't complain. Can it be driven on the street-yes I have but its not a good street car. You have to be honest when answering the questions about what you want to do with the car when talking to the converter people. A race converter isn't going to be the best street converter.

And that's why I'm building a Chevelle now that will be a real street car.
Bbbad1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 456 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.