Auto trans / rear gear advice please. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Auto trans / rear gear advice please.

Well Folks; I've got an engine ordered up and the builder also suggested, like many of you have, that my initial thoughts were the best thoughts. That is, stick with the 3-Spd. transmission and re-gear down around the 2.73 range. So that's the plan. That gear in the back with a nice flat mid-500 torque curve up front and the proper converter should make for a very entertaining ride.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond.

Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 11:48 AM
Gold Founding Member

Hi Tom,

You will have to find an Eaton 2 Series Posi Unit to convert to a 2.73 Gear Set.

Tory
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Camaro
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof ~ SOLD
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

3.07 gear would be nice.
hydro462 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Well Folks; I've got an engine ordered up and the builder also suggested, like many of you have, that my initial thoughts were the best thoughts. That is, stick with the 3-Spd. transmission and re-gear down around the 2.73 range. So that's the plan. That gear in the back with a nice flat mid-500 torque curve up front and the proper converter should make for a very entertaining ride.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond.

Tom.
Keep your 3 series carrier handy, I doubt you will like the 2:73's anywhere but on the freeway. If you can swing it, just buy a complete rearend with the right gear and swap the entire assembly.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 12:19 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Im a huge overdrive fan. a 2004r would bring your 70 mph cruise down to 2100-2200 rpms.
lucifershammer likes this.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel-n-Chevelles View Post
Hi Tom,

You will have to find an Eaton 2 Series Posi Unit to convert to a 2.73 Gear Set.
Yeah... I had no idea that there werent aftermarket parts made in 2-Series. Right now Im running 3.73 with aftermarket axles and an Eaton Posi. Im thinking the easiest way would be to just go with a set of 3.08s, as theyre readily available and would be an easy swap. Other option would be to just find a whole 2.73 rear end and swap it in. That way if I wasnt satisfied with it I could just throw my 3.73 back in. Decisions, decisions...

Whatever I do, Ill certainly wait for the engine to show up and run it for a bit with my current setup just to see.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Keep your 3 series carrier handy, I doubt you will like the 2:73's anywhere but on the freeway. If you can swing it, just buy a complete rearend with the right gear and swap the entire assembly.
Funny thing is that the engine builder says the 3.73, as I initially suspected, would just generate a lot of tire smoke. He suggested not only trying to source a 2.73 set, but possibly try to find a 2.56 set! My engine wont be ready until around Christmas so I have plenty of time to bench-race these ideas before it starts costing me $$$ to try them all out.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 1:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I remember reading somewhere recently that one of the major rear end builders was now making a 9 style rear end that uses GM 8.875 (12 bolt) gears. THAT would make my life a bit easier. Have the ease of swapping carriers with the more efficient GM gear pattern. Gotta do some research on that....
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 3:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Strange has been making that for many years. It's an aluminum chunk that fits the 9 inch housing but takes Chevy 12 bolt internal parts.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 18, 5:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

TRIVIA:
Here is what I did for almost a year. My Nomad Wgn. was a 307-350-T.
Rear gear was a 3:08 Ten bolt. After the 468 & 700R4 was installed, I drove it for almost a year ( Just to figure out what gear to go with) and was happy with the results. Then I bought a 12-Bolt and stuck the 3:07 in it. I am still happy.
Bob
WHY the one year test, I could not picture a B.B. chevy with a 3:07 rear gear. My 70-M-22 has a 3:31, First gear aint that wonderful!

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 2:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Stan

Fuel milage in town, It sucks! Its like flushing a toilet! Bob[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny...haa hahha, "a new phrase I'll use" often... heh heh
thanks for that Bob...lol
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 19, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
swap out those 3.73's, for some 3.08's
ClintI did the exact opposite when switching from a TH400 to a 700R4 went from 3:08's to 3:73's and it's the best thing I ever did to my car to improve it's overall drivability.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I forgot about this thread. Let me update:

My engine has been in for several months and is running great. Ive not been running it hard since Ive not been sure about the strength of the TH350. Ive finally pulled the transmission and stock 12-bolt out. A new Strange 9 with TrueTrack and 3.00 gears is now in. A locally-built TH400 is sitting on the floor and I hope to install it tomorrow. Ive got an off-the-shelf Hughes 2,500 RPM converter. Once in and measured, Ive got a good driveshaft shop about two minutes from my house promising a same-day build. My rear and transmission yokes are ready for 1350 joints.

Hopefully later this week Ill be back on the road and can give a driving report.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 5:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I have a truck 454/ TH400 /2.87 wouldn't change a thing... Love cruising the highway @ 100.

People would do themselves a favor and read how the stator works in the Turbo Hydramatic transmission.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 9:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Use this website to help answer your questions. It will show you shift points, rpms, etc. I love it. Just hate all the ads it has, so be careful where you click:

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx
Stan's Customs likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in