post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: New 5 Speed Manual Coming To Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Best deal going is a Muncie built with Paul's M-22-Z gearset and a 2.73 or 3.08 rear gear. That gearset is close to 3.00:1 in first gear so you can still get off the line. Plus, everything just fits. no squabbles about the tunnel at all.
I agree that trans is the best deal and the easiest conversion also in many cases the least costly. However even with the 3.08 rear gears, the rpm drop it is not ideal for the highway. I thought long and hard about swapping to that set up. Ultimately I decided I most likely wouldn't have been satisfied with anything less than an overdrive trans which is what I ended up with. It was not just the desired rpm that made my decision. It was also the exhaust report at certain rpm tha tv came into play.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 11:10 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuysMonteSS View Post
Crash,you are correct,the GF-5R is not synchronized,at least not in the typical manner.
It does use "Face Tooth Engagement" in place of synchro rings.
Here is a link to the description from G Force;
G-Force Transmissions and Long Shifters
I don't think that the face tooth engagement hurts the shifting any,I recall seeing a video of Jim Moore "540Hotrod" and his 'Vette going through the 1/4 mile,and it sounded pretty good to me !!
And yes,fifth gear is 1:1.
But,with the correct gearing,ie; first gear and rear gear ratio,you can achieve the equivalent of an overdrive,and AFAIK,a 1:1 fifth gear is stronger than a OD fifth gear.
Guy

...and you are going to want that 1:1 hi-way ratio with those straight cut gears, unless you like wearing earplugs

Grant

Grant
website-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We make your non-adjustable clutch...ADJUSTABLE!
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr530 View Post
...and you are going to want that 1:1 hi-way ratio with those straight cut gears, unless you like wearing earplugs

Grant
Read through the options on their site. They offer a 5 speed overdrive manual transmission. Don't know if it can be installed without mods. However they pretty much say they will custom build the customer a trans.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 4:56 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Best deal going is a Muncie built with Paul's M-22-Z gearset and a 2.73 or 3.08 rear gear. That gearset is close to 3.00:1 in first gear so you can still get off the line. Plus, everything just fits. no squabbles about the tunnel at all.
And the M23Z gearset for the higher hp setups

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 18, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuysMonteSS View Post
But,with the correct gearing,ie; first gear and rear gear ratio,you can achieve the equivalent of an overdrive,and AFAIK,a 1:1 fifth gear is stronger than a OD fifth gear.
Guy
Agreed...I run a Richmond 5 Speed with a 1 to 1 5th gear in an LS6 powered First Gen. Monte Carlo . Minor floor mods required for the Richmond. Just recently I began work on a 3.07 to replace the 3.31's that are in the car. I know that the RPM drop is not going to be a big deal in 5th with 3.07 versus 3.31 but I am looking for a little less "gear" in 1st.

The Richmond has a 3.27 1st and with a 3.31 you get down into the 10.00+ gear multiplication territory which is 4.88 like in terms of off the line perf. If I could find a new set of 3.07 gears to convert the Richmond low gear from the 3.27 I would jump all over the gears. Richmond in its wisdom is not making that 2 gear gear set anymore. 3.27 low is just too much for me, not interested in that level of the line stuff anymore. 3.27 x 3.08 is a lower number closer to the old 2.20 Muncie with a 4.11 rear gear and that is the direction I am headed. Going to the 3.07 12 bolt was the simplest plan because I had one in my shop for years and years. My current project I am building a posi and loading it in. If I had both a 3.07 and a 2.73 12 bolt around I would have very likely done the 2.73 (I also have a 2 series posi on the shelf also) but alas that is not in the cards.

On the matter of cutting the floors. I do understand the reluctance to cut the floor but my car is so far from stock it just doesn't matter to me. Also considering all the replacement floor pan sheet metal on the market I think a given car could always be brought back to stock using the material from a replacement floor pan tunnel if the need arose. The street rod guys do amazing welding all the time and done right the replacement welding would be near on invisible. For me when the ability to have the latest in technology 6 (or even 7) speed gear box necessitates cutting the floor then so be it.

I have watch the "transmission follies" that have gone on.... There was gonna be an OD 5 Speed based on the Muncie made by some shop in upstate New York...never happened, just a lotta talk. Then there was the Keisler fiasco....after that we have the Legend transmission wait times of, in some cases, over a year. McLeod has their T5 on steroids 5 speed and now we have this new Richmond product whatever it might finally be. The Tremec Magnum 6 Speed is here right now, it is a proven product and the parts to mate it to my BBC are readily available. If I wanted / needed a new trans I would not be fooling around waiting for some "future ware" transmission that might have a gestation cycle like those I mentioned above. Cut the floor and be done with it would be my game plan.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Thing is if someone/anyone wants a 5 speed overdrive transmission and does not want to cut the trans tunnel in an A body there are proven transmissions on the market that allow this. No waiting. The Richmond Super Street is one that comes to mind.
So it is possible to make a transmission that accomplishes this. Hopefully Richmond kept this in mind with this new transmission. Legend makes a fine transmission. Maybe they will get their act together. If one is not concerned about tunnel mods then they have more choices.
oman and Kopfjaeger like this.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 18, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Thing is if someone/anyone wants a 5 speed overdrive transmission and does not want to cut the trans tunnel in an A body there are proven transmissions on the market that allow this. No waiting. The Richmond Super Street is one that comes to mind.
So it is possible to make a transmission that accomplishes this. Hopefully Richmond kept this in mind with this new transmission. Legend makes a fine transmission. Maybe they will get their act together. If one is not concerned about tunnel mods then they have more choices.
Yup the Richmond is more or less a drop in. In point of fact I had another Richmond 4+1 in my 66 Vette and I got the shifter right thru the hole in the stock Vette console using a Hurst with the STOCK mounting positions on the Richmond tail shaft housing. Not sure that would work with the OD units but it might. That shifter does sit a bit high on the side of the trans but I came up with a quick mod to the Hurst mounting plate that bolts to the tail housing. It lowered the Hurst box / mechanism lower toward the floor by about 1.25 inches. I don't have a console in the MC but knowing what I know from the Vette I am absolutely sure you can get the Richmond lever (assuming you use a Hurst shifter) thru the 68 / 72 console in an A-Body. You need the offset lever of course but that is easy.

As mentioned above someplace the OD transmissions might not be as strong as 1 to 1 top gear but .....????? Also with an OD and deep gears in the rear end you gotta think about rotational speed of the drive shaft and the diameter of the drive shaft.

I would agree that the newer 5 Speeders and 6 Speeders have better shifting feel that the older Richmond / Nash 4+1 but Paul C. has some syncro ring and detent mods that help. i don't care much about lightning quick high RPM shifting anymore so for me the stock Richmond shifting is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in