Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Clutch opinions for a 67 SS

Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions on what the best clutch for my 67 Chevelle. Iím going to be changing out some stuff soon. Any other parts I should change When updating the clutch??? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 8:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Clutch opinions for a 67 SS

I know a lot of people don't like Centerforce, but I've been very happy with my Centerforce II pressure plate and matching organic disc. Good pedal feel and smooth engagement.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 9:06 PM
Super Mod
Bob

I have a Centerforce as well. Good for a street tire car with 500hp and a 4-speed.

1969 SS396 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Now would be a good time to upgrade to an SFI flywheel. Thatís always a wise decision if you are planning to drive the car hard.

Steve R
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:40 PM
z27
Tech Team
alex

If you have a 621 bell housing and a 168 tooth flywheel i would use a genuine g / m l-88 clutch. Check my posts on tc and tc about this clutch. In the past 45 years we have used them all zoom ram mc cleod all muscle car clutches and they were all good . But we also used the l-88 bent finger diaphram cluth and it lasted longer and took more abuse. The g/m engineers knew what they were doing whe they designed that one. They built it to take punishment and last.i got mine from my local rebuilder complete they are around $125 disc pressure plate real good t / out brg. And an oilite bronze bushing. Do not use a needle brg . Pilot bushing and if the regular pilot bushing is magnetic its not oilite bronze go elswhere and get a good one. Alex
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 11:31 PM
Gold Member
Gene

CF/DF here. Pleased. How much power do you need to hold?
Saltherring likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 2:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
CF/DF here. Pleased. How much power do you need to hold?
I also ran the CF/DF on my last manual Chevelle. IMO it was very good.
Saltherring likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 8:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

No needle bearing pilot bushing, they come apart. There are so many case mating surfaces in the older 4 speeds. All have tolerances for being 90* to the mainshaft. My experience with the 70's-80's super T-10 is where first geat engages the main shaft is the weak point. This is with the CF dual friction, M&H street tires and 427 ci. I also used the L-88 setup for about 15 years and went to CF when they first came out just to compare. I still have the CF.
Saltherring likes this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 10:45 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

CF/DF here too, very happy with it. It doesn't work out my left leg like some other ones.
Saltherring likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I am running CF/DF behind my L78 396. It is quiet, bites hard and has caused no problems. PP is bolted to a Hays SFI billet flywheel.

I had a '66 L78 Chevelle back in '72-'74 that was fitted with a (1st design) L88 camshaft. Early on I broke a spring in the B&B pressure plate. On the recommendation of my Chevrolet parts man I replaced that clutch with a factory L88 PP & disc. I ran the heck out of that car and that clutch handled everything I could dish out. And GM still sells that clutch? Parts numbers anyone?

Last edited by Saltherring; Jul 31st, 18 at 11:18 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Centerforce II here and no problems. I beat the car every time I drive it.

I also put a new CF SFI flywheel in at the same time, also a new Quicktime bellhousing.

Replace your pilot bearing and check your bellhousing for eccentricity and parallelism, very important.
novadude and Saltherring like this.

69 SS 396 4-speed
396 375hp
Super Muncie, 3.73 True Trac
UMI Stage 2 suspension
Lemans Blue
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill R

When changing the clutch the pilot bushing should be replaced (as stated in an earlier post, use a bushing, not a bearing), replace the throwout bearing as well. If the car is going to see 6000 RPM or more, an SFI approved flywheel and bellhousing are necessary - in my opinion. Take the time to install the bellhousing correctly, otherwise you will encounter high RPM shifting problems.
I have used McLeod clutches almost exclusively for 40+ years and have had excellent results with them.

Bill
64 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe (original owner) car now has 427" BB, Jerico 5-spd. trans., Dana 60 rear end.

SAE Member (25+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 9:48 PM
Banned
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by z27 View Post
... i would use a genuine g / m l-88 clutch. Check my posts on tc and tc about this clutch. ....i got mine from my local rebuilder complete they are around $125 disc pressure plate real good t / out brg. . Alex

Would sure like to know a good source for that clutch and flywheel setup.
Saltherring likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 8:43 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=l-88+flywheel

or https://corvetteparts.com/item/flywh...utch-1967-1969

here's a sort of generic looking clutch setup, listed for an L-88 but 10.4 inch

https://corvetteparts.com/item/clutc...line-1967-1969

BTW my 69 Z/28 came with a flywheel that looked exactly like the one above. It still had the original GM clutch in it, it was a diaphragm 10.5. Good thing it had a scattershield in it, I blew several discs apart missing the 2-3 shift at 7K. Never hurt that flywheel. They usually just shed the lining material. Thing sounded like a Yamaha at 7K. It was the original 302.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 9:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=l-88+flywheel

or https://corvetteparts.com/item/flywh...utch-1967-1969

here's a sort of generic looking clutch setup, listed for an L-88 but 10.4 inch

https://corvetteparts.com/item/clutc...line-1967-1969

BTW my 69 Z/28 came with a flywheel that looked exactly like the one above. It still had the original GM clutch in it, it was a diaphragm 10.5. Good thing it had a scattershield in it, I blew several discs apart missing the 2-3 shift at 7K. Never hurt that flywheel. They usually just shed the lining material. Thing sounded like a Yamaha at 7K. It was the original 302.
Looking at a close-up of that flywheel pic, it is stamped "Engineered in the USA", which pretty much guarantees it ain't made here.

I've had both a Hays and a Ram SFI steel flywheel in my car over the last 10 years, and I personally feel that the Ram is a nicer piece. The Hays had balance problems. The RAM was perfect right out of the box.

I'm currently using the RAM flywheel with a Centerforce II disc and pressure plate (10.5" in my SBC car). It grips hard enough to bog the engine on a prepped track with drag radials when dumping the clutch at 37-3800 RPM. This is in a car that traps 108 moph at a ~3300 lb race weight, so I'm guessing somewhere between 350-400 hp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 603 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.