LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 11:22 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Re: 200-4r swap prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
I wonder what lockup really buys you in real world classic car driving. I could say cooler run temperatures and better fuel economy but if I think of how my chevelle is really used there is limited high speed highway use, it's mostly around town and trips to car shows so I think Steve might be right. I'd like to hear what others think. I already went the route of having it though. I guess if it is any sort of a hassle I could just stop powering it.
Both my Camaro and Monte are probably driven on the highway more than around town. Around town i dont bother with the lockup, thats why both cars have it on a toggle. on the highway, when the converter locks, the car just starts to roll down the highway, good thing the brakes work well. It really makes driving it 80 miles each way such a pleasure not having the old and tired engine screaming at you to do 75 mph. Trans will definitely run cooler locked up. We all know heat is the killer for an auto.
ChevelleFan70 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
I really wanted to do that when I built mine but couldn't find anywhere that sells the parts to convert or instructions on how to. I know you can't just plop a non-locking converter in and have the trans function correctly.
Note that I have never used this part, but talked to a few who have and they said it works. I had my 200-4r built for non-lockup from the get go.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-7-ccv

TransGo THM 700R4, 4L60: 7-CCV

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 2:40 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Note that I have never used this part, but talked to a few who have and they said it works. I had my 200-4r built for non-lockup from the get go.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-7-ccv

TransGo THM 700R4, 4L60: 7-CCV
Wish I'd have known about it 8 years ago.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 6:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I like what a converter loc/up does. 4380 Lb. Chevelle Sta. Wgn. 468 Big Block Chevy (with Q-Jet) @- 73 MPH. 468 spins 1950 RPMs this = 20 MPG on the I-State. Yes I do like the lock-Up.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 8:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I still use LU but my conv. is about 3500 stall so it drops 300 + rpm cruising.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 8:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I'm going to get the Trans Go shift kit installed and make sure everything is good inside. I'm going to order the TCI Lock-up so it's ready to go on when the transmission gets installed in June. All of this talk about swaps, my PowerGlide must have over heard. It's performing so much better as it gets driven more. Not sure how much good behavior is going to save it though.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 4:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

The PG proved pretty reliable over the course of the summer and left only a minor oil spot in my garage. Drove it around until late November when it went into storage. The 200-4R was rebuilt by my coworker and is now ready for installation. He noticed a lot of little things that needed to be corrected so it took a while but he's done a great job.

The Trans Go Shift kit and TCI Lock-up are installed. Next steps we need to figure out is how to put it all together again.

Some challenges we are running into currently. Keep your metric bolts from the donor vehicle's torque converter. (I grabbed almost everything else from the donor related to the trans except for the converter bolts). Thankfully we found some but I hadn't thought to grab them initially. Also the 200 mounts further back on the frame, new mounting holes for the cross member will need to be drilled. This Malibu is having some clearance issues with the exhaust so it need to be mounted with spacers. Soon I'll replace the exhaust, then remove the spacers.

We are also determining if the additional kits are needed to get it to shift properly and I'll post them here.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 9:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Just curious, what rear end gear are you going to run? My car is very similar, i went with a 3.73 rear. Even with that the rpms are low at cruising speed.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
Just curious, what rear end gear are you going to run? My car is very similar, i went with a 3.73 rear. Even with that the rpms are low at cruising speed.
That seems to be a very popular combination in my research to pair 3.73 gears with the 200-4R. Currently there is a 10 bolt 3.08 in but I'm trying to see if I can't find a 12 bolt to rebuild without spending a ton of money. Not sure if that's possible.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 7:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

You don't really need a 12 bolt on a cruiser with the 327 and an automatic. The 10 bolt will be just fine. I built mine with a posi and put an aluminum girdle cover on, mostly just for looks, and it's been good to go. Some advice from this forum was that since the car would break traction easily anyway, the 10 bolt would hold up. If a 12 bolt dropped in my lap I'd take it but realistically, you will spend at least $1200 more to get one and build it vs the 10 bolt.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Transmission and crossmember bolted up... here are the next steps.

The crossmember was rumored to mate up with at least one of the previous mounting holes. On this frame that is not the case. There is a considerable distance between where the crossmember wants to mount and where the existing holes are. Two new holes will need to be drilled on each side. The crossmember would also like to be mounted lower, but unfortunately the exhaust...

The exhaust was tucked up nicely out of the way of the PG and everything else. However, there are clearance issues with the crossmember. I wish it was in worse shape so I wouldn't feel bad about hacking it up.

The shifting bracket doesn't unbolt from the PG, some people have suggested removing it to place it on the 200-4R. That would require a lot of adjustment so I ordered the Shiftworks KK02 kit.

As stated earlier in this thread, the inspection cover doesn't fit because the starter is on the opposite side.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 7:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Same for me, the cross member needed all new holes. Mine is also a 327 and the inspection cover from a Buick GN fit perfectly. The stock exhaust I have also had no issues. If you dont have a TV cable setup yet, the one from Bowtie Overdrives is really nice. It has a cam adjustment at the carb which allows a little fine tuning of the shift harshness.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Transmission cooler mounted up, using a lot of the original lines along with some additional hose. May be difficult to see from the pictures. Line comes in to the radiator, out from the radiator to the trans cooler. Should keep the trans nice and happy.

Work on linkage tomorrow and start working on the lock up wiring more. Also more testing on the TV pressures needs to be done. Also looked at the dust cover, Pontiac and Olds have the starter on the drivers side. Since mine is from an '86 Olds 442, it's wrong. I'm considering 3D printing a plug for fun or going without a cover until Spring.

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 390 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.