Team Chevelle banner

Anything new on the status of Legend and LGT700

29K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  BobinPA 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard anything lately on the goings on with Legend and the LGT 700? Tranny is next on my list and this one certainly interests me but nervous about taking the plunge and waiting what seems like a VERY long time for a VERY expensive transmission with a company that seems a bit shaky.

#4 ·
I called Jody twice earlier this week (Tues & Thurs) and left a message, and haven't heard back. I also sent Legend an email through their site about it on Thursday morning and have not gotten a reply.

Reactions: Pats70ss
#8 ·
As much as a like that trans it makes me remember the teething problems of earlier super transmissions. All the preorder fiasco and the loss of deposits by many. If you can get on a list without putting $'s down you should get on that list, If it requires a financial out lay I would definitely look into another option. 2 years is a long time.

#11 ·
Yea Clint it seems pretty interesting. Although I would probably have to run a 3.08 gear as my 3.31 just buzz a little more than I like on the highway. Something just don't seem right about 3.08 in a hot rod!! LOL

I just used an RPM calculator and going to a 3.08 only drops it to 2,729 from around 2,960 with the 3.31. Probably not worth the expense for 200rpm.

#14 ·
Yea Clint it seems pretty interesting. Although I would probably have to run a 3.08 gear as my 3.31 just buzz a little more than I like on the highway. Something just don't seem right about 3.08 in a hot rod!! LOL
I just used an RPM calculator and going to a 3.08 only drops it to 2,729 from around 2,960 with the 3.31. Probably not worth the expense for 200rpm.
Be much easier and cheaper to just run a taller tire, Pat. What size is on the rear,now?

#12 ·
I just installed a new Legend into my 69. Jody does not charge anything up front. So getting on the waiting list costs nothing. I was on the list but found a private seller that had an unused legend and decided to buy it.

#19 ·
I was on the list for an LGT700 but after 6 months I jumped on a lightly used one that came up for sale. I’ve yet to put it in my 67 but at least I have it. Am I worried about Legend, the company? Sort of. I mean what happens if I break it. Well, I’ll contact Jody for advice and if it can’t be fixed, it’s plan B, purchase an m23 from him and rock on!

Joe

#24 ·
Autogear M23Z is in the $2,300.00 range. Give or take. One could put $4K into a change to an Autogear transmission if changing rear gears and buying new clutch, shifter, etc.

#26 ·
I find it curious that for a transmission as difficult to obtain as the LGT 700 that so many people report buying used units. Does that indicate any some people are dissatisfied with the unit once they actually had it installed in their car. I too would like to have one, but waiting 2 years is not in the cards. I am looking at the Richmond 5 speed overdrive as plan B, but have concerns about being able to fit the shifter into my factory console opening. The Richmond unit is also pricey.

#28 ·
Mine was bought off of a private owner but was a brand new unit. Was never taken out of the box. The seller had bought the Legend for a project on a 69 Camaro. Well as things sometimes go he got part way through the project and decided to sell the Camaro. New owner of the Camaro was not interested in the Legend so I was the beneficiary. Got a great deal and even an option I probably wouldnt have sprung for.
I was also considering a Richmond Super Street and would have jumped on a deal had I come across one. As a matter of fact I wanted a Super Street that included a flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and bell housing from a seller in Virginia. All for $2,200.00 but was a day late and was sold before I could snag it.

#30 ·
I have heard that it does not require cutting, but I have no first hand experience. However, the shifter seems to be a hard fit to a factory console car. I have on my list to replace the body bushings, which I know are shot. Probably need to do that before I start measuring for a new transmission.

#31 ·
Purchased my LGT700 from a member after he tired of breaking components. Big hp engine, rear was geared in the high 4’s IIRC. Burned through nearly a half dozen clutches and just figured a built auto would be more forgiving and let him use his vehicle until he changed rear gears and installed a tame engine. My Legend came in the original box with everything needed to install it but the z-bar and clutch fork. I’m a few months out from being able to install it. Still looking for a second model 67 z-bar for a big block.

Joe

#35 ·
I'd take a one hour drive today. :)

#38 ·
AFAIK Jody is very involved with those at Legend. He will definately know what the current status is.
I do recall a big thread about a year or so ago where Jeff from Silver Sport made some claims that Legend was in bankruptcy and where being evicted from their facility ,etc. That thread had Jeff making an apology for his statements and admitted they were not true. When something like that happens it makes one question the motivation of the person making the claim. Especially when it isnt true.

#40 ·
Well, my transmission project is will take place late fall of this year, if I can find a used Legend I would try and purchase but I am not going to get a new one and will go in another direction. I was speaking with a business owner that I have dealt with in the past at Carlisle last weekend who was a Legend dealer. He said he had to take legal action against them to get his money back that he had put up for transmissions that they could not deliver.

Just too many red flags for me to feel comfortable.

#42 ·
I was in the same boat, Pat. Just didn't feel comfortable about going with a Legend transmission because of concerns about long-term support, parts availability, etc. Hence why I went with an M23Z, which has been great so far!

#43 ·
I made contact with Legend yesterday and they confirmed they are still in business. Said that has a small company there are many hurdles in keeping up with the markets demand but they are trying to improve. Exchanged a few texts with Jody and will be speaking with him in the next few days. I REALLY want to deal with Jody and that is my only reason for keeping an interest in Legend. I hope by some miracle a used one pops up.

#44 ·
I never heard back from Jody after leaving him a couple voicemails. I emailed Legend via their website and didn't get a reply from them either.

#53 ·
Yah I read that in that tnread also. One can simply go to their website and verify that statement was bs. Legend could be more up front with information about their units however.
Cant say I blame anyone about being leary on choosing a Legend. They are among the most expensive and the two year wait thing is very bad for business. If they are going to prosper they need to get their act together. They are unknowingly forcing people to make other choices when they wanted to choose a egend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.