Team Chevelle banner

Anything new on the status of Legend and LGT700

29K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  BobinPA 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard anything lately on the goings on with Legend and the LGT 700? Tranny is next on my list and this one certainly interests me but nervous about taking the plunge and waiting what seems like a VERY long time for a VERY expensive transmission with a company that seems a bit shaky.

#56 ·
To Freddies point earlier, the M23Z did take a while to "wear in" if thats appropriate terminology, before the shifting became more "Muncie like> Not notchy, just stiff. Now ( 3 yrs later) it feels like an old Muncie.

BTW, I drove to Syracuse to pick up my M23Z, and all I can say is Nathan, George ( like a mad scientist in a lab coat! ) and all the folks made me feel VERY welcome. As I visit small companies alot, they seemed quite squared away. LOVE their product to boot. Not a "legend" story, if you will.

#57 ·
I've spent several hours on the phone with Nathan, George and Tom at Autogear. They are extremely helpful and customer focused. They don't have an overdrive transmission, but if you go with the Z gear set (2.99 first gear) and use a highway friendly gear in the rear end you don't need an overdrive.

#58 · (Edited)
Like I’ve said before, I feel I’m very lucky to have found a used LGT700 to use. Nearly everyone that runs one will say how awesome they are, once it’s installed. That being said, if ever I blow mine up, I’d go with an m22 or m23z from Jody, in a heartbeat, and either deal with the highway rpm issue with my 3.73 rear or contemplate a gear swap.

Reactions: blm
#59 ·
like i’ve said before, i feel i’m very lucky to have found a used lgt700 to use. Nearly everyone that runs one will say how awesome they are, once it’s installed. That being said, if ever i blow mine up, i’d go with an m22 or m23z from jody, in a heartbeat, and either deal with the highway rpm issue with my 3.73 rear or contemplate a gear swap.
x2

#63 ·
Not sure if that is true. Silver sport was at the source of the same information in the past and when called out on that had to back peddle. So they have been known to publicly give incorrect information. Person to ask about the status of Legend Transmission. Is Jody.

#64 ·
I would not ask SST anything regarding the LGT700. First of all, they are no longer involved in any aspect of the trans or the company. Asking SST about the LGT is like calling Holley and asking the status of an Edelbrock product. Secondly, there is a bit of bad blood there so any info may not be 100% on point.

LGT700’s have been exiting the factory at a glacial pace. That much is certain. Contact Jody, he’ll give you the straight scoop.

I was on the wait list then I purchased a lightly used unit about a year ago. I still have not installed it. With all the controversy and production delays with the LGT, I seriously considered going the new Autogear m22z route with my vehicle.

Joe

#65 ·
I too looked at Legend but was discouraged by the ridiculous wait time and the price is way expensive. After a couple of conversations with TKO dealers it was obvious there was something going on beyond the normal competitive nature sales pitch. I did end up going with a TKO600 through SST and have to say their tech support has been very good.

#66 ·
Paul, is this Richmond a TKO copy? Is the shifting problem going to be fixed? Does Richmond still produce the road race 5 speed? Or just the Super Street overdrive 5 speed?

#68 ·
Interesting. Where do I start? Why is everyone bashing Legend Gear? I’m surprised that other businesses are saying negative things.
Long lead time? So what, I’ve been waiting 2 years for paint. Expensive? Guess what? This is an expensive hobby. Buy what you want, don’t spoil it for someone else. My LGT700 is awesome. It’s what I wanted, I was willing to wait and pay. You may not. Move on. No need to tell everyone they are under funded and poorly executed, or closed or whatever. That’s just opinion. What happened to giving the little guy a chance? Rant over for now.

#69 ·
Your rant is misguided. Paul is a premier supplier & builder of Muncie & Autogear parts & transmissions. If he's telling it like it is, he's not bashing, he's speaking from direct dealings on the manufacturer level, not a hobbyist POV. Frankly, I'm glad Paul posted this, I had no idea Richmond was engineering & bringing this product to market. :thumbsup:

Regardless, the LGT-700 which started life as Keisler has been cursed from the beginning. You may think it's ok to wait over 2 years for a transmission, I & others do not. I was almost going to do it when they were $3500 or so, but they priced themselves out what I would consider reasonable. Kudos to you for being ok with paying $5 grand for something & waiting 2-3 years for it. Bottom line is, different strokes...

#70 · (Edited by Moderator)
***Mod note: Paul's post removed, and quote thereof, per Paul's request.***

Paul, I was hoping to catch up with you again this year at SEMA, but family plans have changed that for me.

Yes, the welded LGT700 countergear was a big concern for me too, but luckily Legend has gone to a splined countergear right after you left them. They lost a lot of countergears during the welding process and knew a splined version needed to be done. I have a two 632ci big block Chevy customers and both of them are hitting the 800+ HP numbers and these guys have not broken the splined countergear to date!

Sadly, Legend needs an big investor to up the anti and their production numbers. It's not that easy for a small company to keep up with the demand with short pockets. I hate to tell fellow cars guys that it can take years to get an LGT700, but it is what it is. Yes, Legend is slow with their delivery, but there're NOT dead yet!

I'm hoping the new Richmond IR5 5 speed is another worthy transmission option for the hobby and it shakes things up in the industry! I'll be ordering an IR5 5 speed and test fitting into my Chevelle tunnel for fitment reference.

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)
***Mod note: Paul's post removed, and quote thereof, per Paul's request.***

Paul,

Any rough idea of the IR5 pricing & if I'd have to modify the floor pans of my '73 Nova SS? Can this be used on a stock Chevy 621 bellhousing?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#72 ·
And just like that, all the “inside intell” on the new 5 speed tranny has vanished. Too much too soon or more hype than substance? Who knows. I certainly hope something comes of it. It’s sorely needed!

#73 ·
My '67 was built a few years ago with a Chevy ZZ427/480 and a Legend SS700 (Close Ratio 2:66/0.68 - 3:55 diff.) from Keisler. I'm the first buyer, so it had only 330 miles when I got it in April. The Legend has been as smooth as silk.

Going over the stack of paperwork, I don't know when he ordered it, but they charged him the balance in April 2013. In June they had a tentative delivery date of mid-July, but looks like it wasn't completed until mid-November, 2013. I remember him telling me last December, when I first looked at the car, that he had heard about the bankruptcy rumors and decided to drive down to pick it all up as soon as it was ready.

Looks like the price was around $4500.00 in 2013 (no delivery charge) which included trans., Perfect Fit kit (no floor cutting and no console in my car), custom, balanced, 1200 ft/lb. torque driveshaft, yoke, u-joints, crossmember & stuff, shift handle, knob, hydraulic clutch, master cylinder and lines for it, speedo gear cable, etc., etc.; the whole nine yards.

I'm driving it very conservatively for now until all is broken in (500-1,000 miles). It takes ATF, and I just changed the fluid and put in Mobil 1 ATF (which is one of the recommended fluids) at about 600 miles. After that, the manual says every 30k miles.

It shifts smoothly without a hint of notchyness; I can see why everyone wants one. :thumbsup: Manual says it can take 7500 RPM shifts; my engine redline is 6500 so no worries there. ;)

You can see my thread about the shift handle here.

#86 ·
You can do a whole T56 conversion from new flywheel to clutch to driveshaft, and add a hydraulic clutch and upgrades shifter for that price (no labor). Guess it is time to cut the tunnel. Wonder why someone like Tremec or Mcleod does not buy the LGT 700 design and add it to their product lineup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.