Bowtie overdrives 200-4r - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Re: Bowtie overdrives 200-4r

I think I'm in the minority - but my $0.02 is go with a non-lockup setup & torque converter with an appropriate stall speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampoerna415 View Post
Did the extreme trans come with the speedo gears and housing? also what did you use for lock up wiring?
von and Thor454 like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 1:06 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Did the extreme trans come with the speedo gears and housing? also what did you use for lock up wiring?
Hi, sampoerna!

Yes, the trans. came with speedometer gears, although mine is the wrong gear and is off by 18mph.

And I have the stock wiring for the lockup since the 200R-4 was stock to the original car (305c.i. motor).

When I sent the tranny back for repairs and under warranty, I had to send the carb, and carb. bracket to Lonnie for geometry verification and how the bracket affected the line pressure--my universal bracket was NOT correct and needed modification to allow for proper line pressure.

Lonnie is very easy to work with and answers your questions directly and professionally.

Corey
IRISHSS540 likes this.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 1:08 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I think I'm in the minority - but my $0.02 is go with a non-lockup setup & torque converter with an appropriate stall speed.
luciferhammer, you may be giving him the right advice on the non-lockup feature.

I chose a lockup since it was a daily driver and that is what the builder recommended in my particular application, and it works well for me.

Corey
IRISHSS540 likes this.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Even on a car for daily driving street use? I've read that bit over at art car about using non lockup converters, is it really just 200-300 rpm gain vs using a lock up? Does the trans have to be made to use a non lockup?

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Yes, they modify the trans so that it is a non lockup, and then you use a non lockup converter.

As long as your cruising speed in 4th gear is at or above your stall speed, you may not even notice any difference between locked and unlocked operation (and if so, the 200-300 rpm gain is definitely true as that would be it at most.)

I'm using a non lockup in mine and it works just fine.

Quote:
Even on a car for daily driving street use? I've read that bit over at art car about using non lockup converters, is it really just 200-300 rpm gain vs using a lock up? Does the trans have to be made to use a non lockup?
Thor454 likes this.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 2:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

My first 200-4R was from Jake's. It was awesome and affordable. My second came from Art Carr because I lived right near his shop. Both are great products and both were non lock up behind a healthy 383. The speedo gears for 4.11 and 3.73 are super hard to find but are available if you dig. For an affordable OD transmission it is hard to beat and bolts right in those vehicles with a TH350 or PG. As mention previously, the TV cable set up is critical. BTO sells a slick setup that makes it easy to get right.
Thor454 and lucifershammer like this.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 5:58 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
My first 200-4R was from Jake's. It was awesome and affordable. My second came from Art Carr because I lived right near his shop. Both are great products and both were non lock up behind a healthy 383. The speedo gears for 4.11 and 3.73 are super hard to find but are available if you dig. For an affordable OD transmission it is hard to beat and bolts right in those vehicles with a TH350 or PG. As mention previously, the TV cable set up is critical. BTO sells a slick setup that makes it easy to get right.
Kevin, yes, the TV cable is very important to the life of the transmission for sure.

As mentioned above, I had issues with my TV cable bracket, which my tranny builder set up to give the right line pressures, etc..

I looked at Jakes transmissions, too, but ultimately went with Extreme Automatic.

Corey
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 8:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I solved my speedo gear issue by installing a Dakota Digital dash. Let's you calibrate the speedo so that the gears in the transmission or rear end don't matter.

Can't find the trans gears to match your rear gears? No problem - just recalibrate the speedo. Swapping rear gears? No problem - just recalibrate the speedo. Swapping the trans and it has a different gear set? No problem - just recalibrate the speedo. Changing to a radically different tire diameter? No problem - just recalibrate the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 8:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Stay away from Mail Order Transmissions. Ask around at car shows, swap meets, etc., and you'll get a line on a local (to you) Transmission Builder who you can deal with.

Buying a Transmission through the web is like getting a Mail Order Bride from the Philippines -- sometimes you'll get a Transmission, sometimes you'll get a trannie.

Forgive me... totally inappropriate.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 9:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Stay away from Mail Order Transmissions. Ask around at car shows, swap meets, etc., and you'll get a line on a local (to you) Transmission Builder who you can deal with.

Buying a Transmission through the web is like getting a Mail Order Bride from the Philippines -- sometimes you'll get a Transmission, sometimes you'll get a trannie.

Forgive me... totally inappropriate.
Yeah, that is really what I want to do but the schedule I work offshore, I miss every car show, drag race, etc for probably the next 8 years, Iv'e had no luck with the transmission shops, junk yards in the area, plus craigslist produced some flops, ebay wants too much. I'm kinda torn at this point thinking maybe I should just buy the cheapest mail order 200, roll the dice on a tci, or just do the 700 cause it seems like less headache .

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

The 700r4 is just as much of a headache if not more because it's a more difficult swap from a TH350. There were just many, many more of them and in stock form they are stronger than a stock 2004r and many more people are capable of slapping a 700r4 together and having it hold together. Both have the same TV cable requirement, and both can be setup for lockup or non lockup.

I preferred the gear selections in the 2004r, the fact that it is lighter and that I was coming from a TH350 so the install was a piece of cake.

In your case, you don't need a super beefy one. If you can't find a good local builder, one of the lower priced Bowtie Overdrives units or the CPT transmissions units seems like it would fit your use case. I've heard excellent customer service stories about both of them, but haven't personally used either.

Quote:
Yeah, that is really what I want to do but the schedule I work offshore, I miss every car show, drag race, etc for probably the next 8 years, Iv'e had no luck with the transmission shops, junk yards in the area, plus craigslist produced some flops, ebay wants too much. I'm kinda torn at this point thinking maybe I should just buy the cheapest mail order 200, roll the dice on a tci, or just do the 700 cause it seems like less headache .
von and Thor454 like this.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 18, 5:37 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

If you have the time, build one yourself. I bought a core, a manual, and did it myself by taking lots of pics and making lots of sketches on disassembly. I put the HD and hi-po parts in it, solicited advice when needed, and had to make a few special tools. It took some tweaking to get it the way I wanted and was a pain in the rear but gave me a lot of satisfaction knowing I did it myself.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 18, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
roll the dice on a tci.
NO!

Our You Tube Vids:

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 18, 11:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
If you have the time, build one yourself. I bought a core, a manual, and did it myself by taking lots of pics and making lots of sketches on disassembly. I put the HD and hi-po parts in it, solicited advice when needed, and had to make a few special tools. It took some tweaking to get it the way I wanted and was a pain in the rear but gave me a lot of satisfaction knowing I did it myself.
Plenty of guys around to help out with advice.

https://turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk.12/
Lots of 200 guys here.

TurboBuickPerformance.com
David answers his phone just about 24/7 I think.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 18, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

C-K Performance sells a rebuild manual for those that want to do it themselves.
GM 2004R TECHNICAL MANUAL
Thor454 and 77 cruiser like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 881 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.