Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 17, 5:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
12 bolt cross shaft bolt and posi pre-load springs

Okay, I was "given" a rebuilt 12-bolt rearend about 10+ years ago (originally 71-72 Chevelle "open", IIRC "KDC" stamped on the tube. 2.73 open?). found a receipt for the rebuild at a pro-shop,

Looks like newer gears (3.42 ratio), newer Eaton posi carrier, clean inside. Needs axles (they were left outside and got some rust on the bearing surface, so I left them)...

I am now considering selling the rearend, or maybe installing it in my El Camino that I am selling.

Anyway, 3 of the 4 small pre-load springs were out, and now, after sitting for 10+ years, I can't find the other 3 springs and the bolt for the cross-shaft ( I had them in a ziploc baggie)

So, I wanted to buy a new bolt and maybe the spring kit. I see Summit has the spring kit (400#) for $45. I am planning a Summit order anyway (and then free shipping too).

Is there a possibility of getting these springs into the plates without removing the plates? I have read that its difficult to install the entire pre-load assembly with the ring gear installed. I was thinking I could compress the springs individually in a vice and use Zip ties to hold them compressed, removing the zipties once in position...

Or should I remove the last spring and the plates, and forget about it?

Also, I need a new bolt for the cross-shaft. I see Tom's sells them, but I also found that Yukon sells them (through Summit), but while the Yukon website indicates they are compatible with all the GM rearends (car 12, truck 12, 8.5, etc), the Summit site only lists them for 8.2 and 8.5 rearends...

Thanks
stevwil likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 17, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Re: 12 bolt cross shaft bolt and posi pre-load springs

The best way to get the spring in is to put them in a vice like you said and tie them with zip ties. The spring set will come with new plates, so remove the old plates. The bolt that Tom's sells is the correct one. I think the Yukon differential uses the 8.5 10 bolt retaining bolt. I looked on Summit and Yukon sights and did not see the correct bolt.
fr8dog and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Well great... I have tried numerous times, and and can't get anyone to answer the phone at Tom's... No answering machine or voicemail either... I even emailed diffdude... Still no reply... Maybe it was a long weekend, but no voicemail at least?

Website says some of the info was updated 12/5/2017...

DTS has the bolt for double the price of Tom's... But I wanted to also get one of Tom's cross-shafts too...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

BGH. Can you really get the spring pack in with the ring gear on like he asked ??

Toms he is trying to sell biz maybe he winding down I do know he not restocking all parts when runs out

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 17, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Auto parts stores carry the bolt 10 bolt 8.5 bolt

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....039878&jsn=453

If Rockauto carries it then local parts stores will have it too.Had to buy one many times when one of those bolts broke while doing axle seals.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 1:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Auto parts stores carry the bolt 10 bolt 8.5 bolt
Its a 12-bolt, not a 8.5 10-bolt... I wasn't sure if there was a difference, but according to Big Gear Head (a few posts above yours)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gear Head
I think the Yukon differential uses the 8.5 10 bolt retaining bolt. I looked on Summit and Yukon sights and did not see the correct bolt.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 1:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
BGH. Can you really get the spring pack in with the ring gear on like he asked ??

Toms he is trying to sell biz maybe he winding down I do know he not restocking all parts when runs out
I even thought of installing the springs individually, but also using zip ties... leave the spring plates in the carrier, put a zip tie through all but the first and last coil, compress and cinch the ziptie, install and cut the tie...

Yeah,, I do see where the channel-lock method would have the tool interfere with the ring gear itself... I hope to avoid that... maybe that's why this rearend was free!

I bought my Chevelle with a 9-inch installed, and almost as an afterthought, the seller asked if I wanted the 12-bolt rearend (I had already paid him for the car)... Inside looks nice and clean, and there were recent receipts for a pro rebuild, shortly before the 9-inch purchase... The axles were sitting outside and had light surface rust on the bearing surfaces, so I left them. He did point out the issue with the springs being out...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 9:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
Yes, it can be done. Compressing the spring pack in a vice and using zip ties through the 4 holes will hold it together enough to get it in place, and then the ties can be cut and removed.

The 12 bolt Eaton Posi uses a special retaining bolt. It is not like any other bolt. I can't remember if the Yukon Dura Grip for the 12 bolt uses the same bolt or not. The 8.5 bolt is much shorter and is used in many different rear ends. Even the 8.8 Ford Traction Lock uses the same bolt as the 8.5.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 10:36 PM
Gold Founding Member

Hi Tony,
I can get you the correct cross pin bolt for the 12 Bolt.
Please let me know if I can help.

Tory
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Camaro
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof ~ SOLD
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 11:01 PM
Tech Team
rick

does this article help with the spring replacement? I've never done it but will be doing it soon, but it describes a C clamp and a vice grip for compressing the springs/plate.

Freshening a 12-bolt Posi Is Cheap and Easy - Hot Rod Network
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-clamp.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	504274  

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

That won't work with the ring gear installed. I use chanellocks when installing them with the ring gear removed, but there are many ways of doing it.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

My zip ties broke with 400# springs. I had some welding wire that I wrapped around the retainer while in the vice. I put it in the car when I replaced the broken spider and side gears. It took a while, but I got it done.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel-n-Chevelles View Post
Hi Tony,
I can get you the correct cross pin bolt for the 12 Bolt.
Please let me know if I can help.
Thanks Tory...

Not in a huge hurry. Tom's wife finally emailed back, said Tom has been out for 5 weeks (didn't say why), and apparently she was there limited time... The bolts are only $8.

I figured I'd pick up a spare anyway...

Anyone have any used, loose 200# springs? or maybe even 400 pound springs?

I figured the 200# would be easier to install. Pretty sure I am going to just install some new axles and those pre-load and put it up for sale locally ( if it doesn't sell with my El Camino). Internally very clean. Outside clean, just needs a quick respray...

I have a Summit email coupon (spend $100, save $20), and I'll probably pick up Summits axle kit. Axles (1541H steel) with bearings, seal and studs for $205. Someone said "Made in the USA"...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700120

Summit has the 400# set for $45 but $65 for the 200# set (both with new spring plates)... But I still have my old spring plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP
My zip ties broke with 400# springs. I had some welding wire that I wrapped around the retainer while in the vice. I put it in the car when I replaced the broken spider and side gears. It took a while, but I got it done.
At least mine is out of the car, so should be a little easier... I hope...

This is where I was considering, IF I can avoid coil bind, but still compress and hold the individual springs with zip-ties, Maybe I could install them individually, leaving the spring plate inside the carrier... One spring (on the side of the smaller window) is still installed... I just need the other 3 springs and a way to get them in... I am guessing goggles at a minimum, and probably a full-face shield would be a good idea... I'd hate to see one of these spring launch it the zip-tie broke before its in place... Bruises, missing teeth, lose an eye, etc...

I thought about using the small bolts, and maybe a small bolt with steel pieces (in place of the C-clamp as show above)... get it in enough and remove the bolts as I go...

I am sure once its all back together, I'll find the old parts sitting right in front of me... I guess I really need to clean out my shed...

Something like this, with the yellow being the zip-tie... That way the zip tie would not be pinched between the spring plate and the spring...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	504762  

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 17, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

You could give it a shot, but I don't think you'll get the spring small enough. There would be a lot of things I'd try, but none of them would be safe! If you're like me, don't let it beat you! hahahaha

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 17, 6:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Well, at least I finally heard from Tom's, and was able to order the bolt, a new "Tom's" shaft and some C-clips...

Tom's daughter said Tom has been out sick for 5 weeks... She is going to check on the price of the springs and get back to me...
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 611 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.