Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 17, 6:50 PM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage
Re: I still have clutch chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
close ratio trans with a 3.08 gear probably is the main issue. are the tires 29" tall tires like 275x60x15?
I agree with this above, also, I believe the centerforce clutches are prone to chatter. google it.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 5:53 PM
Tech Team
Paul

If you are using a stock clutch disc with an organic lining I have never seen chatter issues. If you are using a Dual Friction, those discs are aggressive and can chatter. The other thing overlooked is that flywheels often times cut, cause more of an issue. This depends on the new surface finish of the wheel. Sometimes a rough finish is the cause of the problem along with the wheel actually being square. Don't assume that because the wheel was cut, it was done right.
Philip, 6T9 Chevelle and dream66 like this.

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( Facebook Support )

( Youtube Videos)

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 7:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speeds View Post
If you are using a stock clutch disc with an organic lining I have never seen chatter issues.
Agreed.

I've had good "street" manners & performance from Sachs brand pressure plates and clutches and my last centerforce was stamped Sachs so it appeared they simply added the weights to the diaphragm. I wasn't happy with the dual friction model but that may have been due to un-matched flywheel.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 2:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks Guys,
I still have the problem with clutch chatter. The shop sent the clutch back to Centerforce. They are replacing it with a newer clutch. I am not sure what that means. The issue was also here with my old clutch. The flywheel has been turned down, and now another new clutch. It appears something else is wrong as like I said, this was chattering even before the new clutch and flywheel. Could something be out of alignment? I have pulled all the hair out of my head. Thanks again guys.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 2:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
Thanks Guys,
I still have the problem with clutch chatter. The shop sent the clutch back to Centerforce. They are replacing it with a newer clutch. I am not sure what that means. The issue was also here with my old clutch. The flywheel has been turned down, and now another new clutch. It appears something else is wrong as like I said, this was chattering even before the new clutch and flywheel. Could something be out of alignment? I have pulled all the hair out of my head. Thanks again guys.
If the trans is out, it is a good time to do a parallel and concentric alignment if it hasnt been done before.

However, I haven't heard of alignment causing chatter.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 9:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Garage

I had that happen and it was the input shaft bearing in the tranny. I did just about everything you have mentioned. It turned out one of the ball bearings in the front bearing fell out. Worked fine ever since.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Its apart now, I would have a new flywheel installed, I know it might seem like just throwing money at it, but cheaper now while it's all apart. I have never had any luck with resurfaced flywheels. I have resurfaced ones in the past, they would work ok for a short time but the chattering would always come back. JMO.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by surmin69 View Post
Sometimes the flywheel needs to be replaced along with the clutch, resurfacing of a flywheel wont work. Just to burnt/cracked, hard spots come right back after using. Also the smallest amount of oil (from a leaking rear main seal) can cause it also.
I had my flywheel resurfaced once with all other clutch components new. Instant chatter. Installed new flywheel problem solved. I will never again install a resurfaced flywheel with only a chance that it may be a good one.
surmin69 likes this.

Dick

1967 Chevelle original L34 396 .30 over
390 heads bowl work and ported
CC hydraulic roller cam 218-224 with 510 lift
crane roller tip rockers, port matched RPM manifold,
770 Street Avenger carb, GM HEI Dist. Hedman Elite 1.75 hedders, 2.5" mandrel exhaust with H pipe
3.53 gears with Muncie 20
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 7:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
is it only when you launch in 1st gear?
Yes, just pulling out in first gear.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 17, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I wanted to put a new flywheel on the car, but the shop owner talked me out of it. Even Centerforce thought it was a waste of time and money. The tranny got a rebuild kit the same time the new clutch was installed. The shop owner basically said, you can't listen to all these guys on the internet. Everyone has their own opinion. So, that being said, the car is in the shop again, this time for 3 weeks and still no word on the problem. Looks like my confidence in the shop is going down the tubes real fast. I hate to pay someone else to fix the issue, so, since it is now wintertime I will just have to wait a while longer. Eventually I will get the sh**s of it and take it elsewhere. Any recommended shops in central PA? UGH!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 766 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.