Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage
Re: M22 linkage hitting new crossmember

Not a bad idea Steve. I was on their website (a lot lately $$$) and didn't even think to check on that. Watched an awesome video on youtube of a guy who put the linkage on like he was just brushing his teeth. I almost wish I had to do something to the tranny so I'd have to learn more about it. well...sorta.

The brave do not live forever, the cautious do not live at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

I'm also thinking I need to weld some extra meat on one end of the crossmember. The holes don't match up on both ends, just one or the other. I know that isn't abnormal especially with a 48yo vehicle. The real problem is that the holes on the crossmember line up with where the C-chanel frame bends upward. I'm not about to drill through the upward bend of the frame. Sucks I'll probably have to strip it down and powder coat it as well. Sigh. So much for having the new motor broke in before the salt hits the roads.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:26 AM
Tech Team

In your pictures I can see the reverse lever coming out of the bottom of the shifter body is to long...

Chevelle Hurst shifters all use the short reverse lever, change the lever solve the problem...

I have these parts in stock... [email protected]

Hope this helps... Crash

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 7:29 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashent View Post
In your pictures I can see the reverse lever coming out of the bottom of the shifter body is to long...

Chevelle Hurst shifters all use the short reverse lever, change the lever solve the problem...
After you mentioned this I thought that also but then I went back and looked at Hank's pictures of his shifter levers and they look the same as Jesse's pictures.
HKalin and Boosted69Malibu like this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 17, 2:43 PM
Tech Team

Its hard to tell from Hanks pictures, but from Jesse's pictures the reverse lever in the shifter is the long one and should be the short one...

Hope this helps... Crash
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 17, 7:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashent View Post
Its hard to tell from Hanks pictures, but from Jesse's pictures the reverse lever in the shifter is the long one and should be the short one...

Hope this helps... Crash
Are you referring to the lever or the rod.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 1:28 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

??? Well one of them has to be longer. Does it matter which one it is?
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 7:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
??? Well one of them has to be longer. Does it matter which one it is?
Brad you mentioned about looking at my pictures and that it looked like that arm was longer too and it is. I even looked at the mounting plate he has on his transmission again and it might be the correct one but it looks like the corner of it might have been cut off. That corner had another hole in it that was used to mount the plate to the boss on the transmission that you can see in his picture but it is too blurry to see if there is a threaded hole in the boss. When I started out with my car the Hurst Shifter that was in it was so Mickey Moused together both on the shifter body itself how the handle hooked to it and definitely in the linkage area I just felt it was better to put a whole new shifter and linkage kit in. Seeing even the tranny was made up of different housing sections I had to pick the correct linkage kit. Some tranny's depending on year are different in the tranny shifter shaft area with either a bolt or a nut holding the shifter plates to the tranny shifter shaft. Also the slots are different lengths with the earlier transmissions having a shorter slot. Even if you buy the kit with the longer slots they make special washers that clip into the shifter plates to take up the extra length of the slot. I went with the shorter slot kit and even the new M22W has the shorter slot shifter shafts so the linkage kit just transferred over from the old transmission without having to add the special clip in washers. When your dealing with something the PO had his hands in sometimes it's better to just start over from scratch. I don't have a good picture of my stock crossmember mount for the transmission but I can tell just by looking at his picture the mounting surface is much lower on his aftermarket crossmember than the stock one is. He could also go with the taller transmission mount and probably eliminate the spacers.

Last edited by HKalin; Nov 12th, 17 at 8:11 AM.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

That's not a bad idea. I replaced the motor mounts with some nice poly ones and did't do the same with the trans mount because it appeared to be recently replaced. I think I'll just do like you said and get a taller poly one that won't compress as much as the rubber anyway. If I happen to have shifting problems or reverse gear problems I'll buy a new shift kit. I'm not really trying to skimp, just knowing that the trans worked fine makes me not want to open a can of worms. Thanks Hank...and the rest of you guys. I'll keep you updated. Lucky for me I live less than ten miles from summit!
HKalin likes this.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted69Malibu View Post
That's not a bad idea. I replaced the motor mounts with some nice poly ones and did't do the same with the trans mount because it appeared to be recently replaced. I think I'll just do like you said and get a taller poly one that won't compress as much as the rubber anyway. If I happen to have shifting problems or reverse gear problems I'll buy a new shift kit. I'm not really trying to skimp, just knowing that the trans worked fine makes me not want to open a can of worms. Thanks Hank...and the rest of you guys. I'll keep you updated. Lucky for me I live less than ten miles from summit!
Make sure you check the height on your transmission mount first maybe it's already the taller one. I'm not sure what the heights are dimensional wise.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 6:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

I had the same clearance problems with the reverse shifter lever rubbing the cross member. Only mine has a stock cross member. I replaced the stock (new) rear mount with a polyurethane mount and now have about 1/2" of clearance between cross member and reverse shift lever.

I also have a super muncie M22W DS.
HKalin likes this.

69 SS 396 4-speed
396 375hp
Super Muncie, 3.73 True Trac
UMI Stage 2 suspension
Lemans Blue
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 17, 6:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
I had the same clearance problems with the reverse shifter lever rubbing the cross member. Only mine has a stock cross member. I replaced the stock (new) rear mount with a polyurethane mount and now have about 1/2" of clearance between cross member and reverse shift lever.

I also have a super muncie M22W DS.
Now see I have the stock crossmember with a rubber mount with the M22W with no clearance issues and I don't think the mount is the tall one.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 17, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

Picked up the poly mount from Summit yesterday. I should've bought the combo pack seeing as how I got the motor mounts a few months back but oh well. It was $66 and is the exact same height but I feel like the poly won't compress as much as the rubber mount would. The rubber has a void space in the middle to allow more flex. Looks like shims and grinding are in order. I'm also having to add some steel to the end to reach the desired holes in the frame. If I were to drill the frame the hole would go through the bend on the C channel. Sigh... Guess I'll wait till May to get her broke in.

I'll keep you guys updated once I get some more progress made. Thanks again.
Steve R likes this.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 9:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

Trying to add photos for the first time. They uploaded sideways so sorry for giving out sore necks.

Ground down the reverse arm and added the two spacers. Got probably 4mm which I'm guessing should be plenty of space without having to buy a new shifter assembly. What do you folks think? Enough space?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4917.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	506930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4567.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	506938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2941.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	506946  

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 17, 9:21 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Looks like plenty of room to me.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 888 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.