Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

6L80 transmission into 70 El Camino?

My question is 2 parts:

1)....I have seen and read a lot about complete LS engines/6L80 trans swaps into older cars, but is anybody on here running a 6L80 behind their original 396 or 454 big block original engine using a standalone trans controller? I want the fuel economy of the 6 speed overdrive transmission, but I want to keep it looking original when I raise the hood.

And

2) Can you put a 6L80 into a 70 ElCamino(or a 68-72 A-body) without modifying the floor pan/tunnel?

I know the 6L80 has a fat stocky look to it, but I've not seen one laying next to a Turbo 400 for comparison.

I'm also aware that I will have to fabricate/modify the trans mount/crossmember, and have a new driveshaft made.

I'm sure there are others here that have already done this modification that can steer me clear of a few pitfalls.

Thanks guys!

71 Chevelle SS 454 Convertible

70 El Camino SS 454 (current project)

Team Chevelle membership # 5470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: 6L80 transmission into 70 El Camino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmn1 View Post
My question is 2 parts:

1)....I have seen and read a lot about complete LS engines/6L80 trans swaps into older cars, but is anybody on here running a 6L80 behind their original 396 or 454 big block original engine using a standalone trans controller? I want the fuel economy of the 6 speed overdrive transmission, but I want to keep it looking original when I raise the hood.

And

2) Can you put a 6L80 into a 70 ElCamino(or a 68-72 A-body) without modifying the floor pan/tunnel?

I know the 6L80 has a fat stocky look to it, but I've not seen one laying next to a Turbo 400 for comparison.

I'm also aware that I will have to fabricate/modify the trans mount/crossmember, and have a new driveshaft made.

I'm sure there are others here that have already done this modification that can steer me clear of a few pitfalls.

Thanks guys!
here are some specs for these 6L80 & 6L90 Transmissions
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...utomatic/6l80/
scottmn1 likes this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 10:53 PM
Clint

I've done research on this swap,myself. My thoughts up to this point are that it's going to be a very difficult task and very expensive. Just the controller alone will cost $750. Add in the cost of the transmission itself as well as the cost of reprogramming it to even work with a particular engine combo (very important). A 6L80 is very tall and will require a lot of tunnel surgery. Ground clearance will be another concern.

Installing an LS engine w/6L80 isn't quite so daunting and I've seen a few A-bodies and F-bodies with them. I cannot say I've ever seen either body platform with First Gen SBC or BBC with 6L80, though.
FWIW, I would really like a 6L80 or 8L90 in my car,also. Just haven't figured out an easier and cheaper method.
scottmn1 likes this.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
I've done research on this swap,myself. My thoughts up to this point are that it's going to be a very difficult task and very expensive. Just the controller alone will cost $750. Add in the cost of the transmission itself as well as the cost of reprogramming it to even work with a particular engine combo (very important). A 6L80 is very tall and will require a lot of tunnel surgery. Ground clearance will be another concern.

Installing an LS engine w/6L80 isn't quite so daunting and I've seen a few A-bodies and F-bodies with them. I cannot say I've ever seen either body platform with First Gen SBC or BBC with 6L80, though.
FWIW, I would really like a 6L80 or 8L90 in my car.

Clint, thanks for the help. I suspected I might have to modify the floor pan to get it to work, and I'm not willing to do that. Not that I can't, but I just don't want to hack it up because I want to keep it looking original. I guess I will scrap the 6L80 idea and just go with a 700R4 that I already have that only has 44,000 miles on it and be happy with only 4 gears instead of 6. The 700R4 is almost a drop in replacement.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 11:39 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmn1 View Post
Clint, thanks for the help. I suspected I might have to modify the floor pan to get it to work, and I'm not willing to do that. Not that I can't, but I just don't want to hack it up because I want to keep it looking original. I guess I will scrap the 6L80 idea and just go with a 700R4 that I already have that only has 44,000 miles on it and be happy with only 4 gears instead of 6. The 700R4 is almost a drop in replacement.
That's the way I'm going for now,Scott. I installed a 700R4 behind the 468 in my former 68 Elco and drove it for ten years, without problems.
My trans builder is putting together another one for my 70 Elco.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 17, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

Gearvendor easier & reversable.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 17, 12:50 AM
Clint

6L80 transmission into 70 El Camino?

A GV unit would cost almost three times what it's costing me for a 700R4 build and install. A 700R4 has a 30% overdrive, a GV only 22%.
Gear Vendors units have their uses but they're not for everyone.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 17, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

Gary, I already have a good low mile 700R4, and I would have to go buy a Gear Vendors overdrive. So for me, the choice is easy. Since my 454 is all stock/365 hp, and the fact that I only baby my car on a nice pretty day for a little easy countryside cruising, a stock 700R4 should hold up just fine for my needs.
Clint44 likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 17, 4:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I have a 4L80 behind a mk4 BBC installed, plumbed in final assembly. I thought it would make it without massaging the tunnel - it's close but ... it doesn't - needed to make some room around the wire pigtails on the left and some room at both trans lines - there are some banjo fittings avail on evil bay - I used 90 degree 6AN at both - just in case the banjo did effect flow - the dip stick is a pain but with some more massaging a regular steel one will work - Lokar's flexible ones look good but wanted the diameter for fluid addition. the trans will set on crossmember without work - it touches the tunnel where it needs work
got a "summitt " crossmember - it comes with a G force decal on it - works great - you will need the short trans mount - new driveshaft has big u joints 1350 - strange has two 12 bolt yokes available (U1602) - make sure you get the one that looks like the stock one if you want to use the splash shield
If you are looking at holley efi the stealth terminator with trans controller is really a dominator ecu - Holley tech says it has lots of flexibility/expansion
Davis even has a traction control unit or 2 to plug in to it... have to stay off internet....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 3:54 PM
Clint

After doing some more research on this, I found out that installing a 6L80 6spd auto in our cars is possible and not quite as complicated as I thought. Just got off the phone with [email protected] Gravity Performance in Phoenix. Zero Gravity sells everything needed for the installation, from individual parts to a turn-key kit. If I decide to do it, I will have my trans shop supply the transmission and just purchase the stand-alone controller, TPS, and other misc parts needed, from Zero Gravity.
http://www.zerogravityperformance.co...onversion-kit/
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 6:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Interesting,I was looking up similar info, but Iím probably too cheap.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 6:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Looks like $900 for the controller and harness parts. I wonder what a 6L80 goes for around me.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 6:46 PM
Team Member
Wes

Garage

Its been a long time but I thought V8TV tried the 6L80 swap with an LS (LSA?) into a '66 GTO and Kevin said it would require a lot of tunnel work to get it to fit.

1967 Chevelle SS (Work in progress)
1971 Nova SS

Keep on keeping on

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 7:30 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
After doing some more research on this, I found out that installing a 6L80 6spd auto in our cars is possible and not quite as complicated as I thought. Just got off the phone with [email protected] Gravity Performance in Phoenix. Zero Gravity sells everything needed for the installation, from individual parts to a turn-key kit. If I decide to do it, I will have my trans shop supply the transmission and just purchase the stand-alone controller, TPS, and other misc parts needed, from Zero Gravity.
Gen I, II, III Chevrolet Engine 6L80E/6L90E 6 Speed Conversion Kit - Zero Gravity Performance
That looks like a nice setup. I see the 1st gear is 4.03:1 and 6th is 0.67:1. What are you thinking for a rear end ratio to go with that spread? Do you have a preferred solution for a working speedometer?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 11th, 18, 8:59 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes-in-nc View Post
Its been a long time but I thought V8TV tried the 6L80 swap with an LS (LSA?) into a '66 GTO and Kevin said it would require a lot of tunnel work to get it to fit.
A 6L80 is a larger trans than a T56 or TKO and much taller so cutting the tunnel is mandatory. A lower profile trans pan from a Pontiac G8 is highly recommended,too.

Here's a 6L80 install in a 64 Chevelle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32313381_10156939991668881_6354081072761798656_n.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	552857  

Clint Hooper

Sold

Last edited by Clint44; May 12th, 18 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 464 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.