Letting the heat out. 67 Hood louvers with vents... - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Wink Letting the heat out. 67 Hood louvers with vents...

There is a thread on a 66 with functional hood vents( https://www.chevelles.com/forums/32-h...ood-vents.html) and that got me thinking....
Why not let the heat out right in the middle of the hood... With my own 67 SS hood vents.

I didn't really want to start cutting up my nice shiny chrome louvers though.
A friend of mine has a 3D printer and is making some pretty cool stuff so I asked him if he could come up with some thing.
So now it's in the works...

These are more or less just a rough 3d printed louver for fitting and working out issues.
When there done they will be smoothed out and painted.
I'm not exactly sure how i'm going to cut vents but this is a start anyway.

454/T400/9" in a 67 Beaumont
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Letting the heat out. 67 Hood louvers with vents...

Paul I will be keeping a eye out for your work/fabing/writeup on this .

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 16, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Subscribed.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

This is exciting. Where are you getting 3D printing done?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
This is exciting. Where are you getting 3D printing done?

My friend has one in his garage.

The first one he made fits pretty good. I'm exited...lol
Chop the middle out , Smooth it out and paint'er up nice.
Add some chrome mesh and voila!

Ahh if it were only that easy...

I already have experience working with 3D printed stuff, Shouldnt be to bad.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 1:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

would you use the 3D printed part, or would you use it to make a mold and then build it out of CF or fiberglass?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 2:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
would you use the 3D printed part, or would you use it to make a mold and then build it out of CF or fiberglass?
They will just be 3d printed out of abs plastic. Should be fine for the heat and I can make them look awesome.
I have refinished some 3d printed stuff before with exellent results.
I'll post some examples is photobucket comes back on line...

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 6:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Boundary layer, those scoops are all mostly eye candy..
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Boundary layer, those scoops are all mostly eye candy..
The post says "Why not let the heat out right in the middle of the hood... With my own 67 SS hood vents"

Maybe when the car is moving it won't work well due to air flow along the hood surface. Maybe they will work on the highway. Sitting in traffic they will act just like the chimney on you furnace. Will this "heat exhaust" function actually cool the motor water temp? I don't know. On the road, at speed, the air pressure under the hood from the grill / fan could override any air flow down the hood outer surface and provide a nice increase in air flow from the engine compartment. Its tricky to predict how this might or might not work .....especially given the differential in pressures involved at the radiator, above the hood and below the hood. I would not immediately rule it out as functioning well on the open road.

I am very sure it will work well on local streets when stuck in traffic and at stop lights. Most boundary layer air discussions that discount the effects of air scoops from the 60's are focused on the effectiveness of getting cold air from above the hood into the carb(s). As a tool for that purpose they were indeed not very effective. As far as letting heat out from beneath the hood...hot air wants to rise: holes in the hood will aide in that process. As far as the open road / highway cooling effects...only road testing (or wind tunnel testing) is going to determine how that turns out.

Don't sell this idea short for the purpose of increasing hot air flow out of the engine compartment.

BTW.....Love the idea of the scoops made by the printer.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

A G.M. " A " body is designed to have " Outside Air " enter the engine bay through the grill & Lower bumper area. The " A " body engine bay is also designed to have the super heated air exit as per the G.M. design.
Have you ever noticed the G.M. engine bays they are very well sealed up, Why all the rubber seals, Splash guards, Rubber hood seals.
G.M. wants the super/Heated air to EXIT at the lower left & lower right exhaust manifolds.
Due to the fact the cast iron exhaust manifolds are the major heat generators.
The design is like your furnace, Duct work.... With all the ORG. factory, Seals & Shrouds,& Rubber items in the proper places, Chances are you will not have heating issues.
Good luck with your new adventure, An engine fluid leak, At a high speed with a open top hood could prove be interesting. Also with an open top hood at normal road speed you may lose a lot of underhood air pressure needed for cooling.
Good Luck
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 2:55 PM
Team Member
Dave

I'm sure the issues (if any) will make themselves felt once that car is being driven. I commend the OP for trying this, if I saw it on a car at a show or cruise, I'd think it was seriously cool!
Kirk's67SS and rel3rd like this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 9:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Is this going to be the miracal cure for overheating 67 Chevelles?, Hell no....
GM had intended the hot air to exit the lower rear of the engine bay? Yes and on a stock set up this can work very well... I know this.

But my car is very far from stock, GM wasn't testing on a car that was lowerd 3 inches, had a 525 hp bigblock with headers, Ran fuel injection and electric fans.

This is just an experiment for me because I like to tinker with stuff and I can... It's going to cost me a huge whopping total of about $30...lol
and I will be able to track exactly what it does with data logging of my EFI.

If it doesn't work I can just reinstall the old chrome louvres and you will never know anything was ever changer. From the top view anyway.
Kirk's67SS and rel3rd like this.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

My test fit went pretty well last night, I'll need to massage a couple spots with my die grinder on the underside but that's no big deal.

My 3D printer friend came back with a couple designs for me. These took him a half hour to make. I have no idea how or what program he uses... Seems like magic to me.

This one is just wide open with a lip that I can attach wire mesh/screen to.

This one has two slits so I can fasten it on in the oem holes with speed nuts.

Underside of the second one... I'm pretty sure i'll go with the lower one.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Be prepared for engine exhaust smalls and various toxic gasses from the engine compartment to enter the passenger compartment through the "fresh air" vents. The under hood weather-stripping normally routes those smells down and under the car. You'll be venting them out through holes in the hood -- at least when you're stopped at a light, etc.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Are you cutting out the underside of the hood? I just looked at mine and even with the insert vented the hood structure is solid in that area.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 555 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.