Help Dash Swap & AC Deleting on a 67 - already did a search - Chevelle Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning Sponsored by:Cold-Case Aluminum Radiators

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 04, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

OK guys, before I get ignored or told "do a search", I've done that. However, haven't seen this question or an answer before.

I have 2 67 coupe bodies. One (red) body with a good dash and interior and no factory A/C. Everything else is bad (floors, trunk, package deck, roof, etc.etc. Body shell is badly eaten up. But, the engine, frame, trans. and rear are great. Ran great before I started the tear-down. The other (blue) body is in fairly good shape but is only a body and frame. It had factory AC. No interior, front clip or engine&trans. It needed trunk pans and rear quarters but the windshield areas, roof, package deck, floors, etc. were fine. It was a parts car, no title and partially stripped. So we are totally reworking the red frame and already reworking the "blue" body and will put it on the (red) frame.

The dash and firewall are all there in the blue body, including AC /heat controls. I want to delete the factory AC from the blue body. I want the engine bay space for a future big block. I don't want to restore the AC dash. The ball vents are in bad shape and expensive to replace. Nor is there a condensor or compressor or any other under the hood AC parts except the suitcase.

I've seen the American Graffitti AC delete boxes. Obviously an option. But, the AC dash is in bad shape and I think I would like to use the non-AC dash from the red body. It's in deccent shape. Doesn't need to be repainted.

Question (finally)
If I were to swap the entire non-AC lower dash AND inside/outside heater boxes into the former factory AC body, what issues other than a "too big hole" in the firewall will I have to deal with? What other gotcha's are there.

This seems like an easier and cheaper solution than reworking the trashed AC dash just to use the Amer. Graff. AC Delete box.
BTW - Both dashes have been removed from the bodies.

Not everybody has the choice of 2 dashes to use. That's probably why I couldn't find this question already asked and answered. What am I missing (besides good sense)? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Any/all inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry this was so long.

Herb Sr
'67 Coupe (frame-off)
489BB Full Roller Stroker
M20/3.73 Eaton posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 04, 3:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

No, neither car is a 138 or capable of a cost effective concours resto.

Herb Sr
'67 Coupe (frame-off)
M20/3.73 Eaton posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 04, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Not sure if this helps, but the dash itself will swap... Need the non-A/C control levers as well...

I think the area behind the passenger kick panel is different in both, so you can't just swap in the non-A/C vent, althought that would probably be a pretty easy patch panel to make. Other than that, the kick panels should swap... I think the heater should still bolt up...

Years ago, I bought a 66 El Camino, factory A/C car, but someone had removed all the A/C parts and installed a standard heater, along with sheet metal over the extra holes (riveted and not welded in). I think it still had the A/C dash, but everything else was converted to non-A/C.

I eventually converted it back to A/C (factory 396 with original engine and A/C)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 04, 1:08 PM
Team Member
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally posted by Herb:
No, neither car is a 138 or capable of a cost effective concours resto.

I bet less than 1% of restos are cost effective, thats some great advice though.

Jeremy

factory 4-sp, rally gauges, hidden headlights

1970 K-20

1962 Pontiac Catalina Convertible
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 04, 1:20 PM
Hey You!

Going to need the original blower resistor in the box under the dash. The dash harness should have a connector for that somewhere.
When you pull the option A/C harness out you will need to locate the non-A/C blower motor wire under the hood.
The A/C dash and vents can be sold for a few bucks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 04, 4:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks guys!!

That's what I wanted to know. Hate to delete the AC but that's $1000 I can put elsewhere. I can always add an under-dash unit later.

Herb Sr
'67 Coupe (frame-off)
M20/3.73 Eaton posi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5389 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.